Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have you used 44 mm ball?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obrenovcanin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obrenovcanin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you used 44 mm ball?
    Posted: 04/18/2008 at 4:19pm
In Japan they are using 44mm ball. Any opinions on it , it's play ,do you like it or not?
Sponsored Links

7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 4:38pm
Buy it and try it. I did. It feels like playing volleyball.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 5:05pm
i hit with it briefly 3 or 4 yrs. ago.  it feels really funny, but to play effectively with that they will have to come out with a new generation of equipment specially-made for it--which is what happened when we had to change to the 40mm ball.
CP/JP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CP/JP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 5:18pm
I don't even like the 40 mm ball very much...
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club

Nittaku Excellent AAA
Nittaku Hammond Pro Alpha
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 5:48pm
Just for fun...its a good time.  The ball is heavier and reacts differently.  They even make a 55mm ball.  It feels like your playing with a Christmas ornament. haha.
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 10:36pm
if you are 60 and cant move fast..its just like playing tt with booze
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 11:10pm
Its Really Fun, I play with my children. The rallies last longer, less spin. If you have guests over that haven't played before, this is a good way for all to have a good time.

It takes the complexities away from the game.

As for competition, I think that the 40mm ball is Fine, any bigger, and the game would not be as interesting.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
siuchar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuchar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 11:59pm
I just played with big balls today. Killerspin's 44mm and 55mm balls. The fun thing about playing with the 55mm balls is that you have a solid feel for each hit (a loud sound too).  Of course, the feel has nothing to the speed and spin of the ball. Spin is zero, even if you loop it.
44mm ball is not much slower than 40mm ball if I simply hit it without trying to make it spin. For looping, however, the spin is considerably weakened; the ball stops moving forward earlier than expected.

44mm balls seem to be designed for a game called `Big Ball' or something, in which pip-out rubber is used.
gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 12:49am
Where can you find 44mm ball in USA?
siuchar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siuchar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 3:21am
Originally posted by gulca gulca wrote:

Where can you find 44mm ball in USA?

megaspin
and
amazon
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 5:12am
free shipping from megaspin and they are quick with the delivery.
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 9:12am
I bought some Butterfly 44mm balls just to see what the game would be like and several of us at the local club gave it a try. Its very slow compared to the 40mm ball and seems to float, or I should say the dwell time is increased.

It spins much less, so basically it spins off the table because of the lower rpms. What I mean is, the smaller ball is spinning so fast it skids on the table, this is spinning much slower so it grips the table and can change direction after the bounce.

It loses speed quickly so a fast smash will end up suddenly slowing down.

The game becomes more of a tactical game where placement is key, not speed or spin. Can chop it but can't really loop it.

I prefer the 38mm, so the 40mm is the max I am willing to go.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic