Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hinoki looks does matter!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hinoki looks does matter!
    Posted: 04/20/2008 at 9:15pm

Few weeks ago I had to choose between one of the two Speed90 Cpen blades.  Both blades weight exactly at 89 grams.  The comparisons and claims are between these two blades only.

Blade 1: Tighter grain (mostly 2-3 times as dense), grain lines are not clear, darker in color, color across the surface is not as uniform and when knock with index finger nail, it produce deeper and more echo sound.

Blade 2: Wider grain, grain lines are quite clear, lighter in color, color is uniform and when knock with index finger nail, it produce more of a flat sound (like "plak-plak" v.s. "plock-plock" for blade 1  Wink)

With helps from some forum members, I have chosen blade one.  However, my friend and I chose the same FH rubber, which is Xtend 2.0 black, so I am able to compare both setups. Weight of the setup are 160 grams and 157 grams repectively.

At the end, I can only notice that,

1) Blade 1 is indeed faster.  Just a little, not very different.

2) Blade 2 does vibrates more.  Again, just a little.  (For some of you, both blades might not vibrates at all)

I can't really tell their differences in term of throw angle, feeling or performance in matches.

Conclusion: For 1 ply hinoki, within the same model, there would be some small variations which we would be able to determine by looks as well. Smile

A Proud Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club

Speed90 Cpen: F3 Big Slam Max, Xtend 2.0 89/160 grams
H-1-9 FL: Impuls speed 2.0, QUAD420 Max 90/161 grams
Sponsored Links

T2Russo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T2Russo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2008 at 9:28pm
If the differences are as small as you say, the weight difference caused by the rubbers would definately be the culprit in terms of speed.

Extra mass, especially added to the head of the blade, would increase the force that it would exert upon a ball, thus increasing the speed.

The grains could affect the way the piece of wood resonates however, because while they are both of the same density (if they truly both weigh the same), the grain structure would cause the rigidity to be different, since closer packed grains would theoretically make the piece harder to bend.
JPen Jockey:
Nittaku Rorin 10.5mm (Andro Plasma 470 2.0mm)
Yasaka Musashi 9mm (Friendship Focus III)
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2008 at 9:54pm
beautiful! i say making blades is not only a craft but also a work of art
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2008 at 10:00pm

Fully Agreed!!!!!

Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
*Non-Stop Changing Equipments!!!*
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

KKT Cho Tokusen-Tenergy05
T2Russo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T2Russo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2008 at 10:14pm
Btw, those are both GORGEOUS slices of hinoki.  I actually like the looks of the wider grained one better.  It seems much more symmetric and clear.  Plus it's a beautiful shade.
JPen Jockey:
Nittaku Rorin 10.5mm (Andro Plasma 470 2.0mm)
Yasaka Musashi 9mm (Friendship Focus III)
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2008 at 11:17pm
Wingman, Could you tell me what sidetape do you use? the thicker blue color one? It seems make from soft sponge.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Qtjoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qtjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2008 at 11:28pm
There is this dude in my club who has a $700 hinoki wood made blade
joola express 1
joola express 2
avalox 770
www.wtfoodge.com

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2008 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Wingman, Could you tell me what sidetape do you use? the thicker blue color one? It seems make from soft sponge.

dr. N
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2008 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Qtjoel Qtjoel wrote:

There is this dude in my club who has a $700 hinoki wood made blade

Would love to see how it look if possible.

IMO, Dr. N edgetape is the best, it can withstand more damange than any other tapes, plus it's as light as bty premium tape.  But it's just a little bulky.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 1:56am
My fastest and most powerful is my Kokutaku, and it has the thightest grain amongst my collections. The lines of the grain is not so clear and very subtle that it gave me some doubt whether performance would be ok. And it turned out to be very good.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 1:59am
Sorry for threat jacking...
Aeoliah, could you go here: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9722&KW=&PID=194376#194376
and look at the Senkoh-90 and see the grains, etc.
I would like your input on it.
Thanks...
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 2:09am
Hi Rokphish, the link did not work. Please just give me the topic of the thread, who made the post and at what date. I will try to find it.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 2:16am
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

dr. N

Thanks for the info Dalamchops, Wingman Smile
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 2:54am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Hi Rokphish, the link did not work. Please just give me the topic of the thread, who made the post and at what date. I will try to find it.

It's the Pictures of Your Blades thread, last page. Ole77 posted pics of his new Senkoh-90..
Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:10am
If I don't hear any down sides of those BTY new 1 ply after a couple member tried it, I would get it too.  The price is quite tempting. LOL

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Wingman Wingman wrote:

If I don't hear any down sides of those BTY new 1 ply after a couple member tried it, I would get it too.  The price is quite tempting. LOL
i want a speed 90 with a flared handleBig%20smile
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:19am

finally theres a market for 1 ply hinoki for all those with thin wallets!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:23am
Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

i want a speed 90 with a flared handleBig%20smile

Will you get the Senkoh 90 too, Holda?

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:27am
no,probably not.i am tempeted by speed 90 more.don't know why.
i will buy ma lin extra offensive just out of curiosity.i don't want to carry speed 90 to play with everybody.gotta have something simple,but well made.yasaka brand i trust
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:31am
may be they will have these on saleWackothey probably will not....so long as i don't do anything spontaneous,again.i gotta say speed 90 is made ou tof superb wood.that is why i want a back -up...insanity,i think that;s what it is
Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:48am

i will buy ma lin extra offensive just out of curiosity.i don't want to carry speed 90 to play with everybody.gotta have something simple,but well made.yasaka brand i trust

If YEO Cpen sells for that Megaspin price, I would grab it too.  Please let me know how it plays.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:50am
Rockphish, the grain looks similar to my Kokutaku (subtle and not distinctive), only it is tighter on my Kokutaku. I think you would not be disappointed with this one.
If you see the Speed 90 at the top of this thread, it is more distinctive and strong lines of grain (unless if the picture of the Senkoh is not representative because of the angle of shooting and the sharpness of the picture).
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:52am

Rockphish, the grain looks similar to my Kokutaku (subtle and not distinctive), only it is tighter on my Kokutaku. I think you would not be disappointed with this one.

Same color as well?

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 3:56am
Wingman,  I forgot already what the color looks like, sorry.
Holda, what thickness you are thinking of ?
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 4:02am

Oh, no worries.  It just that I also believe that darker in color would means more speed (might be due to longer drying process, etc)

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 4:33am
Then for sure mine has no dark color. Perhaps this is another aspect to ponder. It seems like we are going deeper and deeper into this single ply hinoki worldBig%20smile
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

jpenlover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 11:08am
I personally like wider grain that is even and clear. Take a look at the paddle below used by Ryu Seun Min.

uploads/New/20080421_110742_rsm.jpg
Blade: Butterfly TBS
Rubber: H3 Neo
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 1:48pm

speed 90 it think only comes in 9 mm.
i do not want..at least for now one of these butterfly blades...but i think i would go for either 8.5 or 9.0 mm blade
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 1:51pm

If YEO Cpen sells for that Megaspin price, I would grab it too.  Please let me know how it plays.
yea,their (yasaka's) blades are much more affordable,so i don't expect higher price on a cpen version
Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by jpenlover jpenlover wrote:

I personally like wider grain that is even and clear. Take a look at the paddle below used by Ryu Seun Min.

uploads/New/20080421_110742_rsm.jpg

Good to see the gold medalist's blade upclose Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic