FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hinoki Blade Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hinoki Blade Advice
    Posted: 04/21/2008 at 2:15pm

I'm an tactical player, mostly 2 winged looping - aggressive play.  I use either Sriver El, Yasaka Mark V or Inspirit rubbbers.

I'd like to try a hinoki blade - currently considering a Butterfly Kiso Hinoki or a Septear.

Anyone tried either and how do they play?  Also, is a one ply hinoki preferable. 

I started playing TT years ago with the Jonyer FL. 

Thanks.
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
Sponsored Links

Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 2:28pm
1 ply and multiply hinoki are quite different.  Only 1 ply can bring out the "true hinoki" characteristic.  I don't know if Jonyer's plys are all hinoki.  I have tried that breiftly and can confirm that they are totally different.  1Ply would be in Off to Off+ range, while Jonyer is Off-, difference in speed is very clear.  Dalamchop tried both 1ply (Speed90) and Septear.
As BTY Senkoh just came out and I didn't try it yet, I would say a safe choice to start with would be Juic 1 Ply. 
A Proud Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club

Speed90 Cpen: F3 Big Slam Max, Xtend 2.0 89/160 grams
H-1-9 FL: Impuls speed 2.0, QUAD420 Max 90/161 grams
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2008 at 4:25pm
My general advice is this - if you play close to the table, almost never stepping back for defense, or for mid-distance counterattack or fishing/looping etc, then 1-ply would be certainly a way to go, no doubts, and you won't have many problems readjusting. Blocking, short-game, looping and attack off the table are superb with 1-plies.

However, if you spend some time in mid-zone then for consistency sake you should consider going with multi-ply hinoki blades or even composites. Or go with stiffer 1-ply and prepare to spend some time changing your playing habits.

The main (and some would say, the only) weakness of 1-ply hinoki blades is their softness when used from mid-zone or far-zone... attack, fishing, counterdrive/loop etc. It is not even that much of a weakness as a difference in behavior which will need significant readjustment from multi-ply blades which play more or less the same at the table and further away (this is a generalized statement which is certainly not true for every blade; it's rather a statistical claim). Having "many gears" is not only the upside of a true 1-ply but a downside as well - because you need to learn to apply those gears properly.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic