Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blade with feeling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blade with feeling
    Posted: 04/30/2008 at 1:27pm

Dear all, I'm interesting in buying a new blade while back in malaysia....I've shortlisted the blades that I'm looking at, just wondering whether anyone can give any feedback on the feeling and touch factor of the blade below? I know they're all pretty fast.

Avalox p500
Avalox Blue thunder 555

Stiga Tube Carbo

Ma Lin soft carbon
Ma Lin extra offensive

Also im Not too sure of the availability of avalox blades......anyone know of a dealer in KL Malaysia?
Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
Sponsored Links

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 1:34pm
I've never really understood the concept of what a blade with good "feeling" actually feels like.  Maybe I've never owned a blade with exceptionally good feeling.  If the blade is slower does it tend to have more feeling?  Bceause I've personally never really owned a slow blade, all either medium speed or very fast.  

I am familiar with and know the terms of, sweet spots on a blade.  And good control.. But can someone explain to me exactly what it means for a blade to have good feel, please?

Thanks 
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 2:08pm
Stiga Tube Carbo, very fast, little feeling
Avalox P500, most feeling, much slower
So there are a lot of difference between all your choices.
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 2:19pm

p500 is slow?!

Gatien Extra

Special thick glue
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 2:31pm
Blade with good feeling.... in my opinion would be a softer blade like Nittaku Accoustic.... has been known for its feeling of the ball as well as its speed....
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
*Non-Stop Changing Equipments!!!*
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

KKT Cho Tokusen-Tenergy05
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 3:47pm
Avalox p500 is a VERY SPECIAL blade.  I traded for a ST on the forum just recently and I'm really impressed with it.  It's not a rocket, like Violin speed wise.  The outer ply is very soft giving the blade great touch for over the table shots.  Actually I put some sheets of JO Silver on here and couldn't believe the spin compared to the energy wood I had them on before - the p500 adds spin and also made the JO more controllable.  I have solcion on the p500 now and its just great to play with.

It's really a question of preference, but for me personally the p500 hits a definite sweet spot in terms of softness + springiness.  I have a Visse balsa that is more soft and more springy, but loses a bit on straight hitting and blocking - p500 works well for those as well.

Avalox is based in Malaysia as I recall so there must be a way to get your hands on one.  First thing I did was use some fine grain 600 grit sandpaper on it, sealed the edges and single sealed the outside plies, and it really looks good.  Will post pics later today.
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 3:58pm
THE TEMPTATIONS
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 11:24pm
dalamchops, how would u compare your acoustic c with your photino c?
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 11:35pm
i don't know, it's in NY right now. Don't even try to rob the customs ;p

Your item arrived in the United States at ISC NEW YORK NY (USPS) at 7:40 PM on April 30, 2008.

if the EMS mailman delivers then someone will be able to get it. If not, no one will be home to sign for it :/
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2008 at 11:41pm
ohhh.... still havent arrive.....
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2008 at 1:08am
you are missing two of the best blades 4 feeling off this list the andro carbo-aramid spck and the korbel blade by bty.andro is full of feeling very good for blocking and othe stuff as well as the korbel blade
reachie85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reachie85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2008 at 1:59am
really depends on how you like in a blade, some ppl prefer no vibration, others prefer some vibration.  my dad has a cypress s that i just can't play with, there's no vibration, and i barely feel the ball when it hits.  my yeo gives a good amount of feedback on contact which to some ppl could be disruptive.  in general, all wood blades give more feedback than composite blades,  there is one good blade you left off the list:  ma lin carbon, it's got the closest feel to an all wood blade of any carbon blades i've tried (granted it's a short list).  don't know how the ma lin soft carbon feels though...
if you like the feel of the ye that you are currently using, then both of the yasaka blades on the list can be good choices.
i didn't like the tube carbo when i was trying a friend's shakehand blade, but the energy wood felt really nice.
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive CPen
FH: Haifu Blue Whale 2
BH: Nittaku Nodias
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2008 at 2:09am
No, P500 has more feeling; Korbel is faster.
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2008 at 4:27pm
klkl........ didnt know korbel had lots of feeling >.<
Gatien Extra

Special thick glue
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2008 at 4:28pm
p500 speed in relation to yasaka extra speed ?
Gatien Extra

Special thick glue
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2008 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by Swiffers Swiffers wrote:

I've never really understood the concept of what a blade with good "feeling" actually feels like.  Maybe I've never owned a blade with exceptionally good feeling.  If the blade is slower does it tend to have more feeling?  Bceause I've personally never really owned a slow blade, all either medium speed or very fast.  

I am familiar with and know the terms of, sweet spots on a blade.  And good control.. But can someone explain to me exactly what it means for a blade to have good feel, please?

Thanks 

It's like this - when I drive my wife's SUV it feels very safe and big and roomy but you don't get the feeling of the road because it's farther away from you and you are separated from it by seven layers of suspension etc. When I get back into my small car, it's bumpy and less safe but I feel every little bit of the road and I know exactly where all of the corners of my car are... almost as if I can feel it as an extension of my body.

Same with the blade: more feeling means that you are more "connected" to the ball, the ball placement and understanding of its trajectory becomes more apparent to you (thru your eye/hand/brain connection).

It doesn't necessarily means more vibration like some people think. I actually do not like vibration at all but my blades have had various levels of feeling, some of them had a lot of it but they were a bit on the slower side. My current primary blade (offensive) has much more feeling than even many slower blades - probably due to some soft carbon/aramid combination with specific wood and/or general construction (I am not sure at all). If you could try it, you would see immediately what I mean, I am sure.

Usually it is related to the softness of touch or to your feeling of better control (although the latter is more dependent on the rubbers that you use) and to your own individual preferences, of course.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
F.Z. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.Z. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2008 at 6:45pm
best feeling: bty kiso hinoki
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2008 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by F.Z. F.Z. wrote:

best feeling: bty kiso hinoki

If you mean Kiso Hinoki V or 7 then you could go even further and suggest a 1-ply Hinoki like Senkoh or Darker Tanpan etc. But that would shift "feeling" too much into "softness" and I think that feeling is a more inclusive notion in TT.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
kmh888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2008 at 2:21pm
Avalox p500
Avalox Blue thunder 555

Stiga Tube Carbo

Ma Lin soft carbon
Ma Lin extra offensive

>.< any comments on personal experience on speed to feeling ratio?

Gatien Extra

Special thick glue
culvch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote culvch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2008 at 1:50am

kmh888,

Feeling is very subjective to individual. Most blades made in Sweden have little bit of vibration and normally this equates to feeling.

You tend to have a better feel of the ball on impact compare to composite blade like carbon blade where it's still and the ball will bounce back upon impact (eg BTY primorac carbon). Besides Stiga Tube Carbo, I believe the rest of the blade as listed by you have good feeling.

I you are in Penang State (Butterworth) and if familiar with Malaysia, you can buy the Avalox directly from the owner. You can go to the website at www.hypertt.com and call the number to make appointment with them. Talk to the owner Mr & Mrs Koay. They are the one I believed will be qualified to explain to you what blade to choose.   

If you are coming to Kuala Lumpur, the place I know off is Gold Medal Sports at UE3 shopping mall in Cheras where you can also buy the Avalox blade. You may contact the owner Mr Ling at 016-2131707. My friend and I normally rent a table there for our tt session every Saturday from 5pm onwards. If you happened to be there pay us a visit. You can call me Leon and perhaps we can exhange knowledge on blades.

CUL
STW 1Ply Hinoki C Pen
FH DHS PF4-50 (Red)
BH RITC 802-40 (Black)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2008 at 10:17am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

It's like this - when I drive my wife's SUV it feels very safe and big and roomy but you don't get the feeling of the road because it's farther away from you and you are separated from it by seven layers of suspension etc. When I get back into my small car, it's bumpy and less safe but I feel every little bit of the road and I know exactly where all of the corners of my car are... almost as if I can feel it as an extension of my body.

Same with the blade: more feeling means that you are more "connected" to the ball, the ball placement and understanding of its trajectory becomes more apparent to you (thru your eye/hand/brain connection).

It doesn't necessarily means more vibration like some people think. I actually do not like vibration at all but my blades have had various levels of feeling, some of them had a lot of it but they were a bit on the slower side. My current primary blade (offensive) has much more feeling than even many slower blades - probably due to some soft carbon/aramid combination with specific wood and/or general construction (I am not sure at all). If you could try it, you would see immediately what I mean, I am sure.

Usually it is related to the softness of touch or to your feeling of better control (although the latter is more dependent on the rubbers that you use) and to your own individual preferences, of course.

Dear JimT,

It's always cool when someone puts more light on such a complicated concept as "balde feeling". Your analogy is so clear.

I wanted to say that a few weeks ago I enjoyed this definition too:

I like the way doraemon separates primary and residual vibrations to say that bigger primary vibration with minimal residual vibration means maximized feeling.

ahinoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahinoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 6:16pm
Patrick

Don't know if you have considered a custom made blade.

You may want to check http://www.americanHinoki.com

Please read the feedback and individual blade reviews.
My 1-plys have very nice feel, especially the NWC and WRC.

Ahinoki

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic