Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning the Handle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rpber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning the Handle
    Posted: 05/07/2008 at 8:11pm
Hi guys, just wondering if there are any good ways to clean the handle of a blade. I've had mine for a while and it's caked with sweat, grime, and dirt. Not that much of an issue, but it would look nicer if I could clean it. Anyway, what do you guys use to clean your handles/do you clean them at all?
Yasaka Gatien Extra
FH: Skyline III
BH: Sriver FX
Sponsored Links

Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2008 at 10:29pm
fine same paper should work well

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2008 at 10:57pm
I use rubbing alcohol, but it dries the wood.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2008 at 11:18pm
One TT shop owner has simple trick:  rub the handle with pencil eraser (rubber eraser, STAEDLER white pencil eraser).  I tried it myself with various degree of success.  For smooth handle, it wipes off dirt and grim >90%.  It looks like almost new.  For handle with visible grain / pores, it only removes up to 70 - 75% only.  One thing for sure, it does not affect the handle at all.  I once tried with soapy water, it wets handle and seems to make dirt stick more (plus, it's not good for your wood).  Alcohol will do it though but I don't know the effect if you are doing it in the long run.

Oh, forgot to tell you.  It will consume quite a large portion of your pencil eraser to clean the handle.
usuzu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usuzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2008 at 11:26pm
www.dickblick.com/zz129/81/
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2008 at 11:56pm
I just use some orange oil wood furniture cleaner to rub the handle, it does remove some of the sweat stain, brings out the grain of my Darker blade handle, and conditions the wood at the same time. 
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2008 at 1:07am
Using sandpaper will make the handle smaller if it is done many times.
Lightly sealing it will prevent the dirt a bit.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2008 at 1:14am
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

Using sandpaper will make the handle smaller if it is done many times.
Lightly sealing it will prevent the dirt a bit.

what do u use to seal ur blades aeoliah? my blades look ugly with sweat and as u said they are getting thinner after sanding couple times, so i refrained from sanding again...i was always apprehensive of sealing the blade, wouldn't it make it slippery when there's sweat on a sealed handle?
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2008 at 1:44am
Hi everest81,
     All my blades are sealed except for two Willpowers that have something in the finish that will not let Poly harden. You are right, don't seal a handle or Very lightly at the most. They get wet from sweat if sealed and slippery.
     I have not found a good answer for keeping them clean. The eraser trick sounds cool.
     When I seal the blades, I seal the little wings by the handle. This helps keep this area clean which seems to pick up the most dirt and glue.Smile
rpber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2008 at 2:02am
I use water-based sanding sealer for my blades so sealing the handle is out of the question since sweat would make the sealer a sticky disgusting mess, but I'll try that eraser technique.
Yasaka Gatien Extra
FH: Skyline III
BH: Sriver FX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic