Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Penhold blade or straight handled shakehand blade?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Penhold blade or straight handled shakehand blade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penhold blade or straight handled shakehand blade?
    Posted: 05/10/2008 at 5:02pm
How much of a difference will it make to my game. If I buy a penhold blade instead of using regular blades to play penhold.

We don't get penhold blades here in the stores because 99% of the players here, if not 100% play shakehand. So, I have always used a regular shakehand blade. But I was starting out, so was not that choosy, did not even know how far my game would go, so didn't really care.

But now, that I am becoming more and more picky over rubbers and blades, I was thinking that henceforth, I won't buy regular blades anymore, just penhold blades, chinese penhold that is.

The closest I have to a penhold blade is my Matsush*ta Pro which has a shorter than normal handle, but is still a shakehand blade nevertheless.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 5:36pm
I know a lot of CPEN players who use a straight handled blade very well. I think the difference is not that big unless your snobby, like me, or at such a high level that the small variance in weight distribution is critical.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 5:37pm
Hey, you should just buy my Nittaku Septear-CPEN. It's Hinoki ply from Japan. Brand New and calling your name.
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 5:46pm
I started out kinda the same just using a straight handle blade, but made the switch bout a year ago to c-pen blade. I found it to be much more comfortable and my game improved quite a bit. Maybe it won't make such a big difference for you, but I'd say it's worth a try.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 7:55pm
If you going to play Penhold, just buy penhold blade, so that you won't blame your blade if you can't play well.  As they said, the difference may not be much (not a pro level), IMO, it's more psycological perspective which can make a big difference in confidence. 

I faced the same decision before because I have many blades in shakehand and I wanna play penhold, at the end, I decided to get the same kind of blade in which I think it's best for my shakehand style, it's the Speed90 Cpen.  So I have Speed90 in both Shake and Cpen.

Just my 2 cents.
A Proud Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club

Speed90 Cpen: F3 Big Slam Max, Xtend 2.0 89/160 grams
H-1-9 FL: Impuls speed 2.0, QUAD420 Max 90/161 grams
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 8:17pm
Wingman said it best . . .
The difference isn't much, but you will feel better using a blade that was made for your style. This game is very psychoLOGICAL. So, buy my Septear-C. LOL> weeooo
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 8:43pm
I am assuming he has a stragith handled blade and considering if he should buy a penhold blade to improve his game.
Wingman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 8:46pm
Nice logic Tommy LOL

Here the other 3 cents from me.
1) From what I observe, Tommy is a very good seller in everyway (if not best)
2) IMO lightness is more important for Cpen than Shake because of the nature of the wrist movement.
3) I am bias towards hinoki (Because I am an HJ) Wink

Btw I am not affiliate with his sale nor get any commission.  (If you can sell it, gimme discount if I buy from you ok?LOL)
A Proud Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club

Speed90 Cpen: F3 Big Slam Max, Xtend 2.0 89/160 grams
H-1-9 FL: Impuls speed 2.0, QUAD420 Max 90/161 grams
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2008 at 10:03pm
I find that the long handle from a SH blade is a nuisance for me when using it as PH.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2008 at 4:36am
Ok, thans for the comments guys, and I am not looking for a huge improvement in my game, but any small improvement, even if it is just a psychological boost is a help.
And yes, I intend to play Cpen, no plans on changing to shakehands, I have never played shakehand and when I try it, I look like a complete idiot, on the other hand, I play better Cpen with my left hand than I do shakehand with my right.

And Tommy, the Septear is a great blade, and Nittaku is a brand I have long been longing for, so I just might take it off your hands, just trying to see this month out until the next paycheck before I give into my EJ urges.

But basically, from the above, I think no more shakehand blades for me.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic