Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hinoki Blade Sealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 3:53pm
I have found Poly to be too hard and yellowing in most cases.

This product is a great sealer....light...thin.....easy to brush out.....dries fast.

Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer....comes in Gloss..Semi Gloss...or Satin...I like the satin finish best.

Home Depot sells for about $10 (USD) 

Sponsored Links

Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by T h e N A M T h e N A M wrote:

don't seal the 1ply hinoki

Any  reason why u ask me not to seal the 1 ply hinoki????

@Flicker, I have decided to use the Xiom water based protector(lacquer) to seal the surface. Should  be starting work once my product arrive.... 
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
*Non-Stop Changing Equipments!!!*
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

KKT Cho Tokusen-Tenergy05
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by sadius sadius wrote:

I used Minwax water base clear satin polyurethane. You could find it at any wood or hardware store.
I don't like spray bottle because it hard to get even or over coating.
I will post a picture of my tool after come home from work to night.
Thanks. Look forward to your picture.

Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

This product is a great sealer....light...thin.....easy to brush out.....dries fast.

Minwax Clear Brushing Lacquer....comes in Gloss..Semi Gloss...or Satin...I like the satin finish best.

Home Depot sells for about $10 (USD) 

Rich215, how many layer of this lacquer do you apply to your blade?

Cheers.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 6:22pm
I use 1-3 coats...pending on wood type/quality/finish.   The one I just did a few days ago was a Nittaku Torua.  I did just one coat because the outter layers of wood were so nicely finished.    I will find out if 1 coat is enough after I glue and reglue a few times.  

[/QUOTE]
Rich215, how many layer of this lacquer do you apply to your blade?

Cheers.

[/QUOTE]
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 6:40pm
rich215, presumably, you also seal the handle? If so, does it get slippery? Or does it get even grippier? Or no effect?

Cheers.

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by fattchoi fattchoi wrote:

rich215, presumably, you also seal the handle? If so, does it get slippery? Or does it get even grippier? Or no effect?

Cheers.

Well...I almost sealed the grip on this blade.....but I decided not to at the last minute.

I felt it did not matter for me anyway, because I usually play with a setup like this:

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 8:11pm
Fattchoi, sealing the handle will make it more slippery to some extent, depending on the amount of sealing.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 8:49pm
Thanks rich215 and aeoliah. I think I will experiment with one of my blade when I manage to get hold of some of that winmax lacquer. The problem is to decide on which one to be the guinea pigOuch

Cheers.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 10:29pm
The first time I use the polyurethane spray I bought Ace Hardware product, and the second one I bought from Minwax. I find that the product from Ace is more thick. If you want to apply a minimum quantity, then you should not spray it directly to the blade, Spray it to a cotton rag (torn T-shirt) and wipe the wet rag to the blade just once and leave it. Try the blade the next day. I believe this will not ruin the blade. If you feel it is not enough, repeat the procedure.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 11:04pm
aeoliah, thanks for the suggestion. That will give me better control on how thick I want to seal.

Cheers.

sadius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2008 at 12:13am
Hi Fattchoi. Check out the link below for the seal material from PPGEAR. I used same product as him but water base

fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2008 at 12:27am
sadius, thanks. I hope to pay my local hardware store a visit tomorrow. I hope they have the same or something equivalent here in Australia.

Cheers.
sadius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2008 at 12:43am

You also need a finger nail sand block. I like this sand block than sand paper because it rectangle can keep the surface flat and even. The block can find in any beauty shop supplies and an old cotton T-shirt

fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2008 at 12:46am
Thanks sadius. I do have many old worn cotton singlets. As for the rectangle sanding block, I do have them as well. I use the sanding block especially to achieve even sanding surface to convert the back of my blade for rpb.

Cheers.

Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 2:48pm
Fattchoi and Mithrra - Did you guys seal your 1-ply hinoki blades?  How many layers?  Did you seal the handles?  Wanna share some pics?  Thx.
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 3:31pm
yes i sealed my darker with Xiom water base protector.... i use 2-3 layers... I personally think 2 layers would be good... Sealing too thick would make the blade lost its "feel" of the ball...So try to keep it thin,,,
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

nittakuball View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nittakuball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Mithrra Mithrra wrote:

Hi all,

I would like to seal my Darker Speed 90. My question is : Issit ok to use the Water base protector(lacquer) like from Xiom or Andro? Currently, Xiom and Andro has products for blade sealing...

I also like to know if it is necessary to seal the Darker Speed 90? Will it chip easily if I do not seal it? Will it have any adverse effect if I seal it with Xiom or Andro Water Base Protector?

Alright, thanks for advise..

Hey buddy,where you buy the darker speed 90 FL handle i told only come with jP
DHS 032
Butterfly Bryce Highspeed

Singapore & Canada

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 9:00pm
Iruiru.com
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 9:08pm
I sealed both my 1-ply blades with the same Minwax Wipe-On PolyU which I use on others. No handle sealing, though... it's cork and very unslippery but still ...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 10:26pm
Jim - How many layers did you apply?  I wouldn't seal the cork handle either.
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 10:27pm

yes i sealed my darker with Xiom water base protector.... i use 2-3 layers... I personally think 2 layers would be good... Sealing too thick would make the blade lost its "feel" of the ball...So try to keep it thin,,,

Did you seal the handle?
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 11:00pm
Yes.... Just one layer coat ... but its up to you whether you want it... as it does not affect play....
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

I seal all my blades with poly-U. There is a water based poly-U. Once the water based Poly is dry, it is water proof.
     I do not seal the handles with Poly. Makes them feel slippery and they get wet when your hands sweat.Smile

I also use the water based poly - I just make sure it's super dry before I attach rubbers.  I just sealed my Butterfly Senkoh 90 - as single, super thin layer to prevent mishaps. 

I noticed that there was a definite change in color when it was sealed.  Much more so that any other blade i've sealed. 

Has anyone had this experience with the Hinoki blades? 
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2008 at 11:39pm
Could it be because the 1-ply absorbs the varnish more and as a result the color change was more significant?
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2008 at 1:08am
Rich215: I notice that you use grip tape over two of your blades in the picture below. I wanted to do likewise as I feel the grip is a bit small. Can you tell me what material you use? Is it one of those tennis or badminton racket overgrip?

Cheers.
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2008 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Flicker Flicker wrote:

Could it be because the 1-ply absorbs the varnish more and as a result the color change was more significant?

I think you're right - I put on a very thin layer, and it was dry by the time i finished applying.  It soaked it up very fast. 
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2008 at 4:12pm

Jim - How many layers did you apply?  I wouldn't seal the cork handle either.

A couple of relatively thin layers...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2008 at 4:17pm

Did you seal the handle?

Well... I thought about sealing it, since it is burled cork and very non-slippery. Then I postponed it, and now I advise against it - just spend some more time with it and get used to it. Pretty soon it won't trouble you anymore.

Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 3:55am
Originally posted by fattchoi fattchoi wrote:

Thanks rich215 and aeoliah. I think I will experiment with one of my blade when I manage to get hold of some of that winmax lacquer. The problem is to decide on which one to be the guinea pigOuch

Cheers.

Fattchoi - Did you seal any of your 1-ply yet?  Did you seal the handle too?

F.Z. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.Z. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 8:39am
hi
i play with a bty kiso hinoki VII
i just sealed my blade with andro free seal
it works very wel. but don't seal the handle, when your hands get wet, it slips.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic