Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hinoki Blade Sealing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 9:22am
Flicker: I experimented with my Nittaku AAA by sealing the whole blade till it is shiny. I agree with FZ not to seal the handle. It does get slippery at times, especially when the palm starts to sweat. The only place that I would advise sealing till it is shiny and looking good is really only the edges.

Anyway, after much experimenting, I now seal the edges till it is glossy. As for the face, I put 2 very thin coat using cotton cloth. And I sand lightly between coat. For the final coat, I apply using a brush to achieve a thicker coat and leave overnight to dry. I then sand down using 1200 grit paper until the gloss disappear when looking directly at the blade. BUT, when looked from an acute angle, the blade actually reflects like a mirror. The rubber is then ready to go on.

Cheers.

Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Sponsored Links

pual View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 9:32am
 To your Question is yes ,it will help you to protect your blade for future glueing .When water glue is apply it will stick like the doubble side tape so sticky .
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by fattchoi fattchoi wrote:

Flicker: I experimented with my Nittaku AAA by sealing the whole blade till it is shiny. I agree with FZ not to seal the handle. It does get slippery at times, especially when the palm starts to sweat. The only place that I would advise sealing till it is shiny and looking good is really only the edges.

Anyway, after much experimenting, I now seal the edges till it is glossy. As for the face, I put 2 very thin coat using cotton cloth. And I sand lightly between coat. For the final coat, I apply using a brush to achieve a thicker coat and leave overnight to dry. I then sand down using 1200 grit paper until the gloss disappear when looking directly at the blade. BUT, when looked from an acute angle, the blade actually reflects like a mirror. The rubber is then ready to go on.

Cheers.

What do you use as a sealant?  Minwax or other product?  1200-grit sand paper?  Where do you get that?   You sound like you are an expert at this sealing process now, Fattchoi.  That's great.  Cheers!
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 8:44pm
Flicker, I got the 1200 from one of our biggest chain of hardware store here called Bunnings. Very fine and smooth.

Here is a picture of my experimental blade with the varnish I use.

You will note the gloss on the blade. When like that, nothing sticksShocked So by accident, in sanding down the face till the gloss disappear, I discovered that it is actually still being sealed when I sort of try to look at it from an acute angle to make sure the blade is evenly sanded only to find a mirrorBig%20smile It also feels really smooth. I then tested it out with a water glue and it works fine. Then I remove rubber and wash the whole blade to get rid of the water glue just to see if water soaks into the blade. Fortunately not. In fact, after I washed it, I just wiped it dry with a cloth and it comes up really nice. So yeah, this varnish pass the test of sealing. Anyway, as I said earlier, don't seal the handle. It gets slippery. Even for the edges, I now seal up to that cork area only.

Cheers.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2008 at 12:02am
I seal all the cork parts rather thick, including the handle because I cannot stand it to see the smudges. Yet I don't find it slippery during play, but when you rub your finger when you are not playing, it does feel a bit slippery, but when the hands/fingers let out some sweat, it is not slipperySmile
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2008 at 5:53am
aeoliah, yours is not slippery maybe due to different sealer that you used??? Anyway, I am really still experimenting.

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic