FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Preparing blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2008 at 11:03am
Yeah i am trying all my new stuff on my old blade and rubbers to see what works and what doesnt for me.

I am slowly becoming a EJ also because i want to order some more rubbers, but i dont have the want for more blades yet.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
Sponsored Links

fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2008 at 7:15pm
I just finished off sealing my Nittaku AAA. It is now a piece of glossy weapon. If the smash does not win the point, I believe the look wouldLOLLOLLOL  It is so shiny. I certainly would not advise varnish the handle. When my hand is sweaty, I can feel the blade a bit slippery. But fortunately, it is a Jpen so I can still onto it without any problem. Mind you, I will still need to stick on a rubber and play with it before I would truly know if sealing is a good idea for me. Meanwhile, it sure looks really nice.

Cheers.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2008 at 7:46pm
Just a picture of the blade and the varnish I used. I basically pour the varnish on the blade and use a high quality brush to paint it all over. I paint 3 coats and leave overnight. I then sand with 1200 grit paper before I put on the final coat.

Cheers.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2008 at 8:05pm
Nice job, fattchoi!  SmileSmileSmile
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2008 at 8:27pm
hookshot, thanks. I have to say for a first time job, it does look really nice. I think I will seal my Nittaku Violin P-H when it arrives. I hope to do the same good job.

For further info, I note that after 3 coats, the cork area though shiny but feel a bit roughie, if you know what I mean. That is why I decided to leave overnight and sand the whole blade down with the very fine 1200 grit paper. I sand till the whole blade actually feel so smooth that it is slippery and the shine almost gone. At that point, the blade really feels nice that I almost don't want to put on the final coat. But curiosity forced my hands and I put on the final coat. I was curious on whether if I put the final coat, would the cork area feels smooth rather than roughie. I am glad to report the whole blade is now shiny and smooth and probably slippery when wetLOL
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2008 at 10:34pm
Hmmm...just tried to stick the rubber to the blade using Butterfly Basic Chack. It won't stickConfused

I then decided to finely sand the face till it is very smooth and face not glossy anymore. Just like before the final coat. And this time round, it worksSmile

I think this is best result. That way, the face is still protected by a layer of varnish while the rest of the blade is glossy. Question now is how it holds when I have a long play with it. Unfortunately my next date of play is Saturday. So got to wait till then.

Cheers.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2008 at 11:02pm
Hi fattchoi,
     That is interesting. I have not used basic chack. Glue sheets stick like scotch tape on glass,,Very well. Rubber cement has worked even with big domes although I had to use a press.
     Sanding must have given enough surface for it to grab. Chack must be different than anything I have used before. Good discovery.Smile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 12:51am
Sweet job on the sealing Fattchoi!

I just put my first coat on, how long did u wait between each coat?

I hope mine turns out as beautiful as yours did :D
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 1:08am
It was cold and wet in Sydney yesterday. Even so, I only waited 30 minutes. After that, to make sure, I just use a hairdryer to blow all over the blade for a couple of minutes. And then I put on the next coat.

Good luck with yours.

Cheers.

Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 5:05am
Nice job fatts,

Did you get that at the art shop, the varnish I mean.
How is it? Does it dry up hard and not sticky?

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 9:16pm
gingko, I got that from Bunnings Warehouse, at the artist section. Cost just under $13. When dried, it is certainly not sticky and quite grippy. But I need to play with it this Saturday and see what happens with my sweaty palm. As for hard, I don't quite understand what you mean by that. I just tried and knock against the edge of my table and aargh, there is dentLOL

Cheers.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 9:35pm
YAY

i finished it with 2 layers of varathane and it looks beautiful and the rubber sticks beautifully.

I only hope it comes off nice and plays nice and it will be perfect and i will be a lot more confident in my sealing abilities!
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 9:42pm
deathangel, that is good to hear. Yes, practice makes perfect. I am still experimenting and hope to come up with the best practice for sealing blades.

Cheers.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 1:46am
Originally posted by DeathAngel DeathAngel wrote:

YAY

i finished it with 2 layers of varathane and it looks beautiful and the rubber sticks beautifully.

I only hope it comes off nice and plays nice and it will be perfect and i will be a lot more confident in my sealing abilities!

Yeah, i didn't have any problems with rubbers sticking to the blade. My advice is not to overdo it with the varnish - you need protection, not 1-2 mm layer of new substance on top of your blade.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NTTT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NTTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 9:33am

YAY i finished it with 2 layers of varathane and it looks beautiful and the rubber sticks beautifully.I only hope it comes off nice and plays nice and it will be perfect and i will be a lot more confident in my sealing abilities!

Is there any noticeable weight difference?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 9:54am
Originally posted by NTTT NTTT wrote:

YAY i finished it with 2 layers of varathane and it looks beautiful and the rubber sticks beautifully.I only hope it comes off nice and plays nice and it will be perfect and i will be a lot more confident in my sealing abilities!

Is there any noticeable weight difference?

A gramm perhaps - that's if you don't go for triple-layer TommyZai patented Chinese technique...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 8:39pm
Yes there is a bit of a weight difference, but im pretty strong so it does not effect me. I also added 1 or 2 more layers of glue to make it stick better and longer because i dont plan on ungluing it for a while. I think it maybe went up a max of 4 grams but im pretty sure only 1-2 with the sealing. 
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic