Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An Andro Roxon 450 review...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An Andro Roxon 450 review...
    Posted: 06/04/2008 at 11:26am
What: Roxon 450 max red
Rubber and glue courtesy of Rob.
Buy Andro Roxon 450 Here
Buy Andro Free Glue here!

Visual Inspection:
Looking at the packaging, it sort of seems over the top. Nice, but excessive. When I opened the packaging, I got a bit confused: there was no tensor protection foil! After a bit of reading the included material, it seems that this "new" tensor doesn't require a protection foil. I was under the impression that the foil was to stop the topsheet oxidising and losing it's grip rapidly, but we'll see how it holds up later.

The topsheet feels very grippy to touch, much more like the Omegas than the previous Andro tensors (plasma) and marginally grippier than the COR2 sheets. The topsheet itself feels quite supple, more flexible than the plasma topsheets too. Pip structure has been changed, the pip is square to the topsheet whereas the COR2 pip has a beveled edge around the base. Sponge density feels mediumish, but softer than the Plasma 430. It also doesn't feel as "dry" as the COR2s.

The rubber itself is light for a tensor of this hardness, you'd be looking at maybe 3-5 grams less per cut rubber. See my DB for specific numbers.

Bit of an aside, but I preferred andro's old rubber stamp to this new one.

Playing impressions: day 1.
Glued to a Donic Dima Sawtech AR with Andro Free Glue

Despite the grippy topsheet, Roxon doesn't really lend itself well to topsheet brush looping. Too fine a contact and the ball just drops off. This is in contrast to, say, Rocket, where the topsheet grabs the ball slightly better. The difference isn't much, but the Roxon seems to have a smaller margin between grab and the ball dropping off. To get the most out of the rubber, you need to sink the ball into the sponge and topsheet. Once you've gotten that down pat, the ball flings off with an enormous amount of spin and greater speed than previous tensors of this hardness.

Mounted on the Sawtech (which really doesn't feel anything like an AR blade), the roxon throws in a fairly high arc making it quite easy to bash away with consistency. It gave better control than the Rocket and COR2, yet felt like it imparted it's own spin on the ball better than the other two. Over the table play and serving required a light touch to stop the ball throwing long with any decent sort of spin.

Day 2 (3 days later)
Nittaku Acoustic FL, H3 (glued) and Roxon (Free Glue)

I transferred it over to the acoustic as this was my primary blade. Note that there was minor shrinkage after removal - maybe 1mm. On the acoustic (faster, a bit softer, just as stiff) the Roxon played a bit better. It wasn't quite as bouncy over the table and was easier to put spin on the ball whilst keeping it reasonably short. I expect this would improve with usage.

I encountered similar brush loop issues with the roxon as before, but felt more confident with harder powerloops away from the table. Opening up still felt a bit iffy - I either produced a slow, very high arcing loop with only reasonable spin or a flatter, more direct spin loop was harder to control. The former occasionally dropped off the rubber or fell short whilst the latter sometimes threw too long. As I mentioned before, the margin between these two loops feel smaller than other rubbers. It's my opinion (at the moment) that the Roxon works better with a longer stroke than a short one.

Day 3 (1 week after putting it on)

The topsheet colour has not changed yet.

Day 4 (2 weeks later...)

The topsheet has oxidised somewhat and gone more opaque compared to new. The extent seems slightly less than what other tensors exhibit after 2 weeks without a foil. Grip seems marginally diminished.

Compared to a few other tensors; Tango Extrem, Plasma 430, Desto F2; the Roxon is faster and spinnier across the board yet has slightly better touch than the Tango and Desto. It remains to be seen if the better touch stays as the grip diminishes though. I would have still liked to have the foil, but we'll see how it goes without it.

Durability does seem improved, but I haven't exactly gone around whacking it on things.
Potato Face
Sponsored Links

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 12:40pm
good stuff! How many hours do you think you've used it for?
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
den_breacker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den_breacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 3:08pm
very good review!
what's the hardness of the roxon 450? is it about 40�?
is it really good for looping?  Aswell close to the table as mid-distance? Can you easily loop against backspin?
how is the roxon compared to the JO platin (soft)?
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 3:37pm
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2008 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by den_breacker den_breacker wrote:

very good review!
what's the hardness of the roxon 450? is it about 40�?
is it really good for looping?  Aswell close to the table as mid-distance? Can you easily loop against backspin?
how is the roxon compared to the JO platin (soft)?

Please use these as a comparison between brands.

Brand Rubber Thickness Reading 1 Ave Reading 2 Ave
729 Faster Transcend 2.0mm 29 36.7
729 Higher Transcend 2.0mm 40.9
729 GeoSpin Tacky 2.0mm 31
Andro Roxon 450 2.0mm 29.2
Andro Plasma 430 Maximum 25.5
Andro Plasma 470 Maximum 35.8
Andro Impuls Speed 2.2mm 20
Andro Plasma Women 2.0mm 20
BTY Bryce Fx 2.1mm 32
BTY Sriver G2 FX Maximum 29
BTY Solcion 2.1mm 24
Dawei Inspirit 35 deg Maximum 24
Dawei Inspirit UL 35 deg 2.0mm 24.3
Dawei Inspirit Quattro 42 deg 2.0mm 35
Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL 35 2.0mm 23.2
Dawei Inspirit Quattro UL 40 2.0mm 37.6
Donic Desto F3 Maximum 24
Donic Desto F3 Big Slam Maximum 17.5
Donic Platin 2.0mm 33
Donic Platin Soft 2.0mm 24.7
Donic Coppa JO Silver 2.0mm 24.2
Donic Sonnex JP Soft 2.0mm 24.2
Gambler Four Kings 2.0mm 22
Joola energy X-tra 2.0mm 21.2
Xiom Omega II Euro 2.0mm 23.6
Xiom Omega II 2.0mm 25.5
Yasaka Mark V 2.0mm 35
Yasaka Xtend HS 2.0mm 33.6

Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 2:51am
hmm

The 430 might have a softer sponge, but the Roxon has a softer feel overall. I guess it's due to the topsheet.
Potato Face

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den_breacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:27am
@pingpongrob: do you know the hardness of "stiga neos sound" or "tibhar torpedo soft"?  because I have played with these rubbers and I liked them a lot, but now i want a rubber with built in glue. The roxon looks very good, but I hope he's not too hard...
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:35am
Originally posted by den_breacker den_breacker wrote:

@pingpongrob: do you know the hardness of "stiga neos sound" or "tibhar torpedo soft"?  because I have played with these rubbers and I liked them a lot, but now i want a rubber with built in glue. The roxon looks very good, but I hope he's not too hard...

Sorry But I haven't got any of those rubbers in stock, so i cant measure them. In fact I have yet to find a STIGA rubber that I like.

But Silvalis is correct in saying that the ROXON 450, although tests up harder than the Plasma 430, the ROXON 450 does feel softer. Even the 500pro does not feel that hard.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
silvalis View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 10:57am
I haven't used neos sound and torpedo soft for a long time, but I'd put them at around 24-25 and  27-28 on Rob's scale.
Potato Face

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den_breacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 11:20am
aha, than the differance isn't that big :)
my next rubber will be the roxon 450!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic