FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

new rubber measuring tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new rubber measuring tool
    Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:19pm
Here is a copy of the letter an acquaintance of mine (a national level umpire) got from ITTF: (pics and doc are in the next post)

===================================

Dear Mr. ****

Since a picture says more than thousand words, I attached you some pictures
taken at the Final World Olympic Qualification Tournament being held in
Budapest, Hungary from 8th to 11th May. If you intend to use them anyhow for
a publication, please don't forget to mention the photographer: "by courtesy
of ITTF / Istvan Polonyi").

The man testing on the picture is Mr. Odd Gustavsen, Chairman of the
Equipment Committee.

What you see:
- The STIGA plastic thing is normally to measure the height of the net.
There is a notch (Odd cut out a few centimetres) to avoid that it doesn't
lie flat on the rubber because at the bottom of each rubber there is a
description of what it is (brandname, seal of approval, made in... etc.).
Thanks to the notch it is lying flat.

- A small piece of an iron bar with 4mm thickness lying on the blade next to
the rubber (zoom in to see it exactly).

- A piece of metal (please ask Mr. Gustavsen himself to have the correct
expression; Odd Gustavsen <[email protected]>) Mr. Gustavsen is holding in his
hands. He has different thicknesses of these flat metal thing, if I don't
fool for each 0.1 mm.

In the end Mr. Gustavsen can say that the rubber is thinner than 4 mm or he
can say it is thicker and indicate exactly how much, e.g. 4.3 or 4.5 or
whatever it is.

In order players have the same conditions like referees, this method will
not be in use during the Olympic Games but only the loupe.

I hope this clarifies your questions and I am at disposal for further
questions.

Kind regards,
Marius Widmer

ITTF Media Coordinator

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:25pm

all photos: by courtesy of ITTF / Istvan Polonyi

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:27pm
And here is the article:

THE INTERNATIONAL TABLE TENNIS FEDERATION
Marius Widmer, ITTF Media Coordinator
ITTF Headquarters
Chemin de la Roche 11
1020 Renens / Lausanne, Switzerland
Website www.ittf.com Tel +41 21 340 70 90 Fax +41 21 340 70 99 E-mail [email protected]
ITTF Press Release:
Final World Olympic Qualification Tournament
� Marius Widmer �
Budapest, 9 May 2008

Racket Control � a �Necessary Evil� for a Fair Competition

Odd Gustavsen is Chairman of the Equipment Committee. The Norwegian is on site in Budapest at the World Final Qualification Tournament to test if the rackets of the players are alright.

Gustavsen measures exactly whether the rubbers on the blades don�t exceed four millimetres.

�Up to 4.00 millimetres it�s okay. When it is more, the player has to change the rubbers.�

The four millimetres rule is not a new rule. �We only have a better method of measurement�, Gustavsen explains. The rule says that rubber, sponge and glue together must not be thicker than four millimetres. Until September 2008 the players can still use glues to fix their rubbers on their
blades. Until then there will be many illegal rackets because the sponge absorbs the glue and blows up.

From the quarter-finals, all rackets will be tested without exception. Before the rackets were tested randomly. �We always test both players of a match�, Gustavsen says.

There is a lot of traffic in the small room where Gustavsen makes the testing. �I only glued once�, a player comes rushing in, �and I hope it�s okay now�. Gustavsen tests it and gives the green light. The calm Norwegian fulfils every wish but he is untouchable. Too thick is too thick. There are several disagreements but most of the players cooperate with him. �No player has ever missed a match so far because his rubber was too thick�, Gustavsen says proudly. The testing is in favour of the players in the long run and the fair play but every change needs time. Very soon the racket testing will be naturalness like the doping control.

Pjotr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by wrote:

�We only have a better method of measurement�, Gustavsen explains.
??? It is worse than I thought. Cry
Borko ST
FH & BH: Falco-Boosted Samba
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Pjotr Pjotr wrote:

Yes, it does seem amazingly low-tech and prone to human error...

Pjotr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Yes, it does seem amazingly low-tech and prone to human error...
And what's new??? I have that measurement thing in my bag since it started playing 25 years ago....if it is a joke: it's a good one...if not, well...I dunno Confused
Borko ST
Pjotr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:49pm

btw, the metal 'thickness plates' are normally used to adjust spark plugs.
Borko ST
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:51pm
I was mostly lightly amused by the general athmosphere of a "pater familia" checking his kids' homework... the process should be formal, verifiable and a little bit more precise

Pjotr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:54pm

I was mostly lightly amused by the general athmosphere of a "pater familia" checking his kids' homework... the process should be formal, verifiable and a little bit more precise
Euhm, yes. I was hoping for a more 'professional' approach. Not sure if I'm amused though...more like: worried :(
Borko ST
Budric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:55pm
Sounds like someone is creating "make work" work to feel like a needed part of the organization. And the more obscure the measurement method means only he can do it?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Budric Budric wrote:

Sounds like someone is creating "make work" work to feel like a needed part of the organization. And the more obscure the measurement method means only he can do it?

I am pretty sure this "new tool" could be handled by a teenager... it's not that, it's just as Pjotr commented, this thing is nothing new.

Budric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:08pm
Why is there such a high concern over this? The rubber says ITTF approved. Do the kids in Europe buy so many fake rubbers trying to get 8 mm thickness to win or what? They then proceed to say how it's like "doping testing". Well no it's nothing like that at all.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:10pm

Why is there such a high concern over this? The rubber says ITTF approved. Do the kids in Europe buy so many fake rubbers trying to get 8 mm thickness to win or what? They then proceed to say how it's like "doping testing". Well no it's nothing like that at all.

They use it as a tool against overtuning - if someone drowns his MAX thickness rubber in tuners/boosters then he will be caught as the sponge expands and rubber exceeds 4 mm limit.

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:12pm
4mm is pretty damn thick, how thick are the pros rubbers?
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Budric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:16pm
I thought the primary purpose was to measure thickness because someone's rubbers are too thick, not to detect the use of tuners. My bad.

I still don't see how it works though. Not everyone who tunes uses MAX. So unless you know the original manufacturer specified width, you have nothing to compare to. Then of course you need to account for manufacturing deviation. And you need a very accurate measurement tools. A raquet in a vice, on a stack of boxes, and a stack of other boxes supporting a piece of plastic doesn't fill me with confidense..
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

4mm is pretty damn thick, how thick are the pros rubbers?

It's the entire rubber - not the sponge. Pros who play offensively usually employ max thickness rubbers, like Sriver 2.5

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:19pm
I think it is Budric, like Ma Lin had his rubber too thick and he had to use Wang Hao's paddle at one tournament.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
Budric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Budric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:21pm

I think it is Budric, like Ma Lin had his rubber too thick and he had to use Wang Hao's paddle at one tournament.

I see. Then the ITTF should be held accountable for approving the rubber.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:23pm

I see. Then the ITTF should be held accountable for approving the rubber.

No, I think you misunderstood. He meant that Ma Lin boosted the MAX rubber and it got too thick - usually no one gives a damn but since the testing is done randomly, this time it fell on Ma and his racket was disqualified. I am sure he was pretty unhappy about that... after all playing with somebody else's racket is almost like using your neighbor's toothbrush...

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:25pm
Te second is much more disgusting~
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Yinhe Qing
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:26pm

Te second is much more disgusting~

True that... but both are very uncomfortable... and the first one might result in losing money and self-respect

Pjotr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:28pm

So unless you know the original manufacturer specified width, you have nothing to compare to. Then of course you need to account for manufacturing deviation.
Yes, that would be one way to check wether the rubber has been tuned or not...of course then the 'original' thickness should be imprinted or something on the rubber....
Borko ST
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:36pm
They are thinking about that - there was an idea floated around, about making manufacturers to put some dimensional markers on the surface of the rubber, spaced evenly, like every 5 cm... then you can measure distances and see if the rubber was noticeably stretched during tuning

Pjotr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:48pm

They are thinking about that - there was an idea floated around, about making manufacturers to put some dimensional markers on the surface of the rubber, spaced evenly, like every 5 cm... then you can measure distances and see if the rubber was noticeably stretched during tuning
Serious? what do you mean: 'floated around'? Here or at ITTF?

Borko ST
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 5:55pm

I heard it from a national umpire who said it was one of the suggestions discussed at the EC meeting in Guangzhou

Pjotr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pjotr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 6:23pm

I heard it from a national umpire who said it was one of the suggestions discussed at the EC meeting in Guangzhou
How weird....we've discussed this before here:

Well they might have listened then...
Borko ST
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 6:24pm

How weird....we've discussed this before here:

Well they might have listened then...

Theoretically it is possible that they read it on the forums...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic