FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga blades better feel than Violin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga blades better feel than Violin
    Posted: 06/20/2008 at 10:58pm
I've met a chinese guy in my TT club. He's working as a engineer here. He use stiga super carbon with Donic Short pips on both sides. I asked him why chinese like to use Stiga blades. He said stiga has more feel compared to other blade in the market. 70 % chinese use Stiga blades. I've only 1 stiga blade, which is Hybrid wood. The feeling is not as good as violin, but faster.
Is there any Stiga blades that feel better or as good as violin?
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Sponsored Links

mask View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mask Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 10:59pm
ur friend is a liar

i suggest you get a new friend.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by mask mask wrote:

ur friend is a liar

LOL, Well since I don't go to China to make a survey, I just belives what he says. Anyway do you know what stiga blades which has better feel than Violin/Acoustic?
He's the only native chinese who plays in my club. A good hitter and counter smash player.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 11:09pm
Violin is a newer product comparing with classic Stiga blades. That is why not many chinese is using it. At the same time, it is more expensive comparing with stiga blades.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

Violin is a newer product comparing with classic Stiga blades. That is why not many chinese is using it. At the same time, it is more expensive comparing with stiga blades.

You're right, I have the same thought. The most important is the price factor, can buy 2 or 3 stiga blades. That's why they don't try Violin, and doesn't want to because of the price.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 12:27am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Originally posted by mask mask wrote:

ur friend is a liar

LOL, Well since I don't go to China to make a survey, I just belives what he says. Anyway do you know what stiga blades which has better feel than Violin/Acoustic?
He's the only native chinese who plays in my club. A good hitter and counter smash player.

from i've heard there's a lot of players using Stiga. At one time, Stiga is even the main supplier of their national team. And Avalox blades is quite popular with their national team too..
The main product they use is 5 ply and 7 ply blades. Stiga OC, Clipper, Energy Wood, Avalox P500, P700.
The only member of Chinese National i know using Acoustic is Ma Long. I heard He's not doing that bad.. Wink Big%20smile
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 12:34am
One of the main reasons many Chinese are using Stiga is because they were pretty impressed by Sweden's players from approx. 1987 when Waldner was already considered main opponent of Jian Jialiang thru 2000 when they managed to win team championship yet again despite the fact that Waldner, Persson and Karlsson were all more than 30 yr old, not to mention that JO also managed to get silver at the Olympics. So it's mainly a PR issue... there is no hard reality behind that skewed preference.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 12:44am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

One of the main reasons many Chinese are using Stiga is because they were pretty impressed by Sweden's players from approx. 1987 when Waldner was already considered main opponent of Jian Jialiang thru 2000 when they managed to win team championship yet again despite the fact that Waldner, Persson and Karlsson were all more than 30 yr old, not to mention that JO also managed to get silver at the Olympics. So it's mainly a PR issue... there is no hard reality behind that skewed preference.
sorry..i briefly tried stiga clipper for the first time..and i liked it a lot.it is not that hard,probably slightly harder than avalox 700.a blade was bought for me by tommy zai.i thank him for the blade,by the way.
i also noticed that many asian players like these blades,and they also go with offensive /allround varieties...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 12:46am
Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

sorry..i briefly tried stiga clipper for the first time..and i liked it a lot.it is not that hard,probably slightly harder than avalox 700.a blade was bought for me by tommy zai.i thank him for the blade,by the way.
i also noticed that many asian players like these blades,and they also go with offensive /allround varieties...

That's true - Clipper was pretty popular in China... probably still is.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 12:50am
Stiga still supplies the chinese national team.
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 12:52am

tommy's stiga is very special-i am keeping it until i have more time to play with..i am possibly postponing my playing tt for some time.i will continue watching the matches...it sucks,tomorrow is big tournament in atlanta,i can not make there even to watch...ok,may be next time

BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 1:32am
apart from the price, the chinese generally prefer ayous core in their 5-ply wood blades, for the power ('di jing') that it offers. therefore violin will never be as popular as these stiga offensive classics in china.
CL+H3+64
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 1:40am
Guys, wood is wood no matter what the stamp says.  Avalox 555 feels basicaly the same as stiga off or tibhar samsonov alpha.  They're all limba over ayous.  If there's a difference in the quality of cuts, it's on the inside cause I don't see it on the outer plies.  There are small tweakes in the thicknesses of each ply etc, but that just goes to taste, not quality. The acoustic I tried may have been just a touch more flexible, presumably because of the glue they use, but it's not like some huge difference.  Ma and Wang used to use YE, while Oh uses Korbel.  Some people like chevy, some ford, but they both get you there.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 1:40am

Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

That's true - Clipper was pretty popular in China... probably still is.
I would agree with that.  I think Clipper is popular in Asia in general.
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 1:53am
i would like to think too that it is totally due to marketing and historical reasons why Stiga is so overwhelmingly popular in China, but one suspects that it has also to do with the design of these blades being particularly suited to the way the chinese plays (e.g. the consensus there is that Hurricane 3 goes with ayous but not kiri core). i am also inclined to trust the judgement of the chinese since the average standard of the regular players there is rather higher than most other countries.
CL+H3+64
BKTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 2:00am
and yasaka is extremely popular with chinese penholders. again probably it is because of the choice of FH rubber (H3 TG2 TG3) plays very well with the ayous core + the 'less solid' feel to swedish blades, but also because they have the shape of the blade right.
CL+H3+64
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 2:03am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

I've met a chinese guy in my TT club. He's working as a engineer here. He use stiga super carbon with Donic Short pips on both sides. I asked him why chinese like to use Stiga blades. He said stiga has more feel compared to other blade in the market. 70 % chinese use Stiga blades. I've only 1 stiga blade, which is Hybrid wood. The feeling is not as good as violin, but faster.
Is there any Stiga blades that feel better or as good as violin?

he meant 70% of the players he always plays in basement tt, i know of some penhold players in the nat team with acoustic, but looks play a deciding role when chosing equipment, wang hui 1996 national champion played with a sword word, li hu played with nittaku anv also others juniors i dont remember well , top players in china nat team tend to be EJ also
mcd0nald View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcd0nald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 3:25am

it's true that Stiga Clipper CR is nice blade....the price not expensive at all

Timo Boll Spirit
FH: NEO H3 Prov 38 degree (BLACK)
BH: XIOM Vega Asia (RED)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 7:00am
Hi McD..
why do you say you need to replace your O2 on your signature?
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
mcd0nald View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcd0nald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 7:15am
yeah, i need different type of rubber
more like medium sponge and japanese top sheet thingy
but i havent got it yet
so at the moment i use that til i find rubber
omega 2 rubber is a bit bouncy, and i dont have black medium sponge jap. top sheet yetLOLLOL

Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Hi McD..
why do you say you need to replace your O2 on your signature?
Timo Boll Spirit
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 7:57am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Guys, wood is wood no matter what the stamp says.  Avalox 555 feels basicaly the same as stiga off or tibhar samsonov alpha.  They're all limba over ayous.  If there's a difference in the quality of cuts, it's on the inside cause I don't see it on the outer plies.  There are small tweakes in the thicknesses of each ply etc, but that just goes to taste, not quality. 

Sorry Cole, I have to disagree with you.  I have BT555, OC-CR and Alpha, and they are all feel different!!!!  BT555 feels soft but springy (good 2nd kick).  Alpha feels soft but not springy (doesn't have that 2nd kick), OC-CR feels stiffer but kind of hollow and is not springy either (probably a bit only, but I can't really feel it).  I have Dicon which is supposed to be a copy of OC but Dicon is much stiffer compared to OC and not springy either.  Samsonov Premium Contact has Limba outer ply (I don't know if core is ayous) and it feels soft and flexible.  Korbel is also Limba with ayous but it feels medium (not too soft).

They probably have limba outer ply with ayous core but different in thickness and size and shape really make them feel quite different.  May be I am too sensivite!!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 8:42am
Originally posted by mcd0nald mcd0nald wrote:

omega 2 rubber is a bit bouncy

are you sure just a bit? Big%20smile
it can be hard to push, and keep the ball low and short with O2..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 8:47am
I know a good and well respected club who got a trainer from China last year. And since they have change all their youth team blade to Clipper. On the recommendation of their new trainer..

I really would like to see your friend play though,  Peter, i have never seen a player who uses SP both sides.. Ermm must be interesting.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
mcd0nald View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcd0nald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 9:05am
yah, that s at least what i feel Smile
since i just used it yesterday Big%20smile
just need for adjustment

Originally posted by mcd0nald mcd0nald wrote:

omega 2 rubber is a bit bouncy

are you sure just a bit? Big%20smile
it can be hard to push, and keep the ball low and short with O2..
Timo Boll Spirit
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 10:11am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

]he meant 70% of the players he always plays in basement tt, i know of some penhold players in the nat team with acoustic, but looks play a deciding role when chosing equipment, wang hui 1996 national champion played with a sword word, li hu played with nittaku anv�also others juniors i dont remember well�, top players in china nat team�tend to be EJ also

Yup, he meant not the chinese national players. According Him, most of the Chinese who play Table Tennis prefer Stiga because of the feel.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 10:35am

I know a good and well respected club who got a trainer from China last year. And since they have change all their youth team blade to Clipper. On the recommendation of their new trainer..I really would like to see your friend play though,� Peter, i have never seen a player who uses SP both sides.. Ermm must be interesting.

Hmmm, He's using Donic Baxter on both sides. His playing style is he can loop any kind of serve, either side spin, side under spin, or under spin with his backhand down the line to his opponent forehand. He has a good technique, he can place a ball to opponent's uncomfortable hitting zone.
When Somebody loop to his forehand, He'll just smash the ball. His smashing technique is awesome. The opponent spin the ball to his wide forehand, he quickly move sideway, just smacking the ball to his opponent's backhand down the line, not on his opponent's forehand cross table. His reaction is good too, I smashed a ball at him, he wait until the ball rise then counter smash me :p
I can't play with him, still need to learn how to play a player use pimple out rubber that can attack. When I don't have opportunity, he can smack the ball, then when he's not in good position, he just sliced the ball in play, when my opportunity came, then I blowed it, either I loop it out or smash it into the net.
Hmmmmmm, anyone, is there any idea how to play this guy? He's 48 years old, play Table Tennis since 16 years old. His playing style isn't nice to watch, but his stroke is so efficient. Maybe the high level player can use his energy efficiently hehehehe

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 11:27am
Wow, sounds like a very difficult player to play.. I wish i can see him play.. He must a relic from the Chinese pimple-out hitter era (Jiang Jialiang, He Zhi Wen).
From i understand, they loop/flick underspin and hit trough topspin. Generally flat hitters love to stay close to the table, where they are most deadly. You need to force him to move back, that will reduce the angle of his flat hit and make his flat hit less dangerous..
If you loop, try to make a brushing loop loaded with topspin, go for spin rather than power to his middle or weaker side (BH?). High arc loop close to the end line will unsettle them to some extent because they then have to move back.

For me personally, SP is also very hard to play against..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 2:52pm
Of course more players use Stiga in China. They are CHEAPER!!
It's true that China's economy is growing and there is more cash, but the average Chinese family still lives on about $200-$300 per month (except the major cities like Bejing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc.). So, they are not going to blow their families food money on a Violin. I'll swear my 1981 Toyoto Corolla handles better than my neighbor's 2008 BMW because I can't afford it!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 2:55pm
When I go back to China I'm predicting the seat compartment of my motorbike will be broken into or pulled off and my Violin will be stolen. The thief probably won't even try to take my bike, just my combo!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

When I go back to China I'm predicting the seat compartment of my motorbike will be broken into or pulled off and my Violin will be stolen. The thief probably won't even try to take my bike, just my combo!
TZai - Just make sure you carry your beloved Violin with you all the time.  Make an extra pouch on the underside of your shirt for it if you need to. :))
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic