Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - VIOLIN/EXPERT-H/WOLFEED/Speed90Reverse/LaserCarbon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

VIOLIN/EXPERT-H/WOLFEED/Speed90Reverse/LaserCarbon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIOLIN/EXPERT-H/WOLFEED/Speed90Reverse/LaserCarbon
    Posted: 06/28/2008 at 1:05pm
I'm considering a j-pen RBH setup. Please comment if you have experience with any of these!

For double sided unmodified setup...
- J-Speed 90 Reverse, 8000yen
- Nittaku VIOLIN P-H or R-H, 12000yen
- Nittaku WOLFEED P-H or R-H, (not on iruiru english site)
- Nittaku EXPERT-H, 6240yen
- kokutaku LASER CARBON PRECIOUS ROTARY, 8000yen

To be modified...
- Butterfly CYPRESS-S, 8000yen
- Butterfly SENKOH SUPER 95-S, 4000yen
- Nittaku RORIN, 9600yen
- Nittaku AA, 8000yen
- Nittaku RUSSELFOR9.2, 4480 yen
- Kokutaku SUPER CHO-TOKUSEN BISHU No.1D100, 9600yen
- TSP DYNAM, 8000yen

(price info from iruiru)

My play style: Quick attack, 80% close to table, 20% mid distance looping. Don't twiddle.
Preference for new setup: extra light (aim for total weight to be under 150g). Chinese tacky rubber on FH. Powerful light weight jap/euro rubber on BH. Mid to hard rubber.

I'm a single side j-pen user for my past 2 setups with mid to hard overall feel... now want a second rubber for RBH.

Sponsored Links

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2008 at 1:27pm
nittaku or kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm would be way to go, i am very similar style, close to table, sometimes mid distance but mostly closely. I tried darker 10mm, but didnt suit my style, so back to cho tokusen 9mm....if u can do rpb decent, go for darker reversible jpen. i can't do rpb and my backhand is mainly just block and occasional kill..
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2008 at 3:40pm
 Hi, charlesj!

You can also consider Yasaka Musashi Special this is a great blade for close to the table game and mid distance loops. It is cheaper than Cypress S but it is much better blade in my view. Mine weights 74 g. and it is 9 mm. As far as I remember Iruiru sells it for 6,800 yen.  The craftmanship of this blade is amazing and the head of the blade around the grip is slightly narrowed. Just fine for people with small hands like me. Big%20smile 
Single Ply Hinoki club
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2008 at 11:47pm
@charlesj

What were the two setups you used before?

You mentioned about Darker meant for bigger hands and less flexible.  All the blades you've listed above they pretty much have the same footprint.  If you find the neck too wide, you can sand it down a bit.  That's what usually people do to customize the Jpen blade.  Otherwise you can try BTY Senkoh-1 which has a slightly narrower neck.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 12:32am
I didnt take note of names when buying blades last time until recently. One was a Nittaku multi ply and another was a thousand year wood TSP special edition single ply blade.

For RBH, my consistency is still not there and especially I don't have a good double sided blade to practice on it. Also, it's sometimes torturing to concentrate in the mind of when to use the back rubber in certain position and angle. It is especially true when the ball comes to the center of your hand, this makes RBH style having the same weakness as shakehand.

More sanding has to be done on Darker blades to get the comfort hold and flexibility, but it is still ok.
Is the darker reversible blade nice to hold? I don't twiddle...so I wonder if the handle would be weird. Weight of the setup would be the main concern and is the 8.5mm powerful enough for my style of close table play? Anyone knows the weight of the darker J-Speed 90 Reverse?

Or should I just get a normal j-pen and modify it for 2 rubbers so that if in case I don't like the weight and RBH setup... I just have to remove the rubber.
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 12:56am
Hi Thylacine,

How is that Yasaka j-pen better than Cypress S?
Sounds like you have both of them ;)
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 4:41am
 Charlesj,

Yasaka Musashi Special is at least as fast as my Cypress S but it has better balance and great touch close to the net.  With Cypress S I have problems controlling my loops and the sound when hitting is not that clear at all. Also my Cypress S is about 10g. heavier. Smile

Single Ply Hinoki club
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 6:29am
Thylacine, do u use the same rubber for both?
which other j-pens do u use?
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 7:08am
I noticed Nittaku EXPERT-H is around 70g!!!!! thats light!... but it's a carbon blade
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 7:16am

As it so happened, I have played with the following:

a. Senkoh 95S converted to rpb (total weight 151g)
b. Cypress S converted to rpb (total weight 158g)
c. Nittaku Cho Tokusen A converted to rpb (total weight 158g)
d. Darker JSPeed 90 Reversible (total weight 161g)
e. Nittaku Rorin 10.5mm one sided weight 134g

Like you, I used to think that a 9mm would be better until I actually owned the Nittaku Rorin 10.5mm. As it turns out, the thicker blade, with a bit of modification to suit my hold, I now realise that a thicker blade has a few advantages. Firstly, if fills up my hand and therefore give me very good stable grip. That imparts greater control. Secondly, the thickness imparts power. So if you had not ever held a 10+mm blade, I suggest you find one, hold it in your hand before you decide if possible.

Regarding the Jspeed90 reversible, initially, I hate the fact that it does not have cork cover around the area where your fingers rest. Very uncomfortable. But I persevere with it and now fiinds it OK. HOWEVER, you are right in suspecting the 8.5mm might be lacking in power. I find that it lacks power compared to the Nittaku Cho Tokusen A that I converted to rpb. But I resolve that issue by putting on Tenergy 05 on FH which is medium hard. And the weight of my reversible blade is only 80g. You can always ask iruiru to choose the lightest blade for you.

I have also just converted my Kokutaku ID 100 for rpb but have not yet played with it. But I suspect the thicker blade with its slightly smaller head size will impart speed and power. The thicker grip also means nicer hold for me.

By the way, it is pretty hard to keep the total weight to under 150g for double sided play.

In conclusion, personally, I believe my Nittaku rorin 10.5mm is best for one sided play whereas, though I have yet to play it, but judging from the fact that it is thicker and feels full and stable in my hand almost like the rorin, I believe the Kokutaku will be my best converted rpb blade. By the way, my Kokutaku is only 79g after conversion. And I hope to select rubbers to achieve total weight of under 160g.

As for blade modification, it gets easier as you do more and more. Just need a very rough sandpaper to sand off cork area. Then a medium sandpaper to sand off the painted part. Then the finest grade paper to sand it smooth. Very easy and I am still learningTongue

Cheers.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 7:35am

Yes, I used the same rubber on both. Tongue
Single Ply Hinoki club
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 7:41am
Hi Fattchoi,

Thanks for the info. It would great if you could post some pics of each modified setups! Smile

You missed out reviewing your Nittaku Violin P-H Reversible... Wink

Do u find the cork of those reversible blades nice to hold and flexible for wrist movements? I find that the shape is rather funny looking.

When sanding down, I wonder if it is possible to still leave some cork behind for comfort hold and fingers to curl nicely behind?... and just sand off part of it for the 2nd rubber. well... this may cause a little inbalance and head heavy blade... but it should still work right?
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 7:43am
those reversible blades are really tempting!
Big%20smile
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 7:50am
Sorry, I thought you are only interested in one ply hinoki blade. Yes, my Nittaku PH is really nice. The blade only weighs 72g and comes up to 162g with rubbers. Note that the Tenergy is a heavy rubber. If you substitute with Xiom III or something similar, you can easily shave off 15g which would leave the blade to be around 145g.

Between the Darker JSpeed 90 reversible and the Nittaku Violin PH, I think I prefer the Violin simply because of the cork area which makes the hold much more comfortable. But they do feel different and I still prefer the hinoki feel.

I have posted some pictures on the other thread you created.

Cheers.

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2008 at 10:16am
It seems that the reversible Violin has more or less the same (light) weight. My Violin J-RH weighs 72 grams too.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2008 at 7:26am
I'm still deciding whether to go single or double...

So how is the Nittaku Violin PH feel like as compared to other single ply j-pens?
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2008 at 12:46am
how about using short pimples with thin sponge on the backhand...
this would reduce the weight
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2008 at 12:53am
Originally posted by charlesj charlesj wrote:

Yes it would. And if you also look for lighter rubber for the FH, then it would make the whole blade that much lighter.

Cheers.

Adib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2008 at 3:22am
How about Rorin 10mm???Anybody please give the comment
Blade:Nittaku Rorin 9mm,Xiom RSM Gold,TSP YAMATO-K 10.5mm
Rubber:Black 38 degree Hurricane 3 Provincial
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2008 at 7:22am
Is the grip and hold of a reversible comfortable?

Reversible cork handle protrudes at the bottom and it seem useless if one don't do twiddling.

It may mean that your fingers would be resting on the logo portion of the rubber... & this may be rather painful.

any ways to resolve this?

Is it possible to only use the top portion of the back of j-pen for the 2nd rubber and thus leave ample of space for the fingers to rest on? Will that cause weight inbalance?

fyi... when i play j-pen single sided... my 3 fingers are straight... forming a 90deg to the blade when doing backhand smacking and also pushing... which I find it to be more powerful with that hold
tomtomny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomtomny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2008 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by fattchoi fattchoi wrote:

Yes it would. And if you also look for lighter rubber for the FH, then it would make the whole blade that much lighter.

Cheers.

Can you suggest me some of those light rubbers out there?

Thanks!! Tongue
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2008 at 5:45pm
Check out this rubber database created by Silvalis. Very useful info there.

I recently tried the Donic Sonex JP Gold. Nice soft and light rubber. I know some people don't like soft rubber on hinoki blade but I personally like it.

Cheers.

lanatir View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lanatir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2008 at 10:10pm

... another was a thousand year wood TSP special edition single ply blade.

1000 yr old wood??!?!?!?!!?! got a pic to share?
Regards
Kelvin
Kokutaku 1D-100 - Tenergy05
Hurricane Hao - Pryde/802-40
YEO - H2/DrEvil
http://haute5.com
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2008 at 1:12am
yes... 1000yr wood... sold... unfortunately at cheap price some years ago when i didnt even find out the market rate...
didn't know that blade price gone up
lanatir View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lanatir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2008 at 1:19am
i wonder how they got hold of the wood in the first place Shocked
Regards
Kelvin
Kokutaku 1D-100 - Tenergy05
Hurricane Hao - Pryde/802-40
YEO - H2/DrEvil
http://haute5.com
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2008 at 1:31am
@charlesj, have you settled on anything yet? Rpb or no rpb? Which blade?

Cheers.

charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2008 at 12:16pm
Hi fattchoi,

sigh... no, not yet. still undecided and have to think through my play style, pros and cons.

If I were to go for RBH... I will definitely go for a very light setup. All the 5 reversible blades look tempting!
I think speed90 reversible is the only singly ply hinoki in the above reversible blade list and it is 8.5mm... the thickest.

1 question: is it possible to change the bottom reversible cork to the normal one? because I don't do twiddling.

Modifying 9-10mm blades to RBH setup seem "dangerous" to me... & it may be too thick for 2 sided setup.

The main reason for me to consider RBH is that I want to do more loops with my backhand. I have strong backhand push and blocks, but they are not as offensive as loops. Also, I can adjust the position that I stand to cater for my weak forehand defense and foot work. Normally single rubber players have this weakness... and u will see have running like monkeys trying to get to the ball. Wang Hao has much better backhand than Ma Lin and their positioning is also different. I prefer Wang Hao's positioning.
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2008 at 12:18pm
btw i heard it would be difficult to buy hinoki blades in the future because of some changes in japan  wood regulations... wonder if this is true?
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2008 at 12:18pm

guys, tell me the cons of the above blades if u have experienced them

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2008 at 2:43pm

btw i heard it would be difficult to buy hinoki blades in the future because of some changes in japan  wood regulations... wonder if this is true?

has anybody tried the thick bomb(brand) blades
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic