Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Does Japan have the best future in table tennis?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does Japan have the best future in table tennis?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Japan have the best future in table tennis?
    Posted: 07/13/2008 at 1:38am
Looking at the U-21 and U-18 rankings, they are filled with the many impressive Japanese players. I begin with Jun Mizutani~ Currently no. 22 in the world, 3 in U-21 and former no.1 in U-18. He has won the All Japan Championships twice and has garnered many other titles~ Then there was Kenta Matsudaira. Currently no. 1 on U-18. At 15 he was beating seasoned veterans of the likes of Michael Maze and Dimitji "Dima" Ovtcharov. He has also garnered many titles and awards for excellence. Hidetoshi Oya, a top player in U-21, and was semi finalist at the Brazilian Open beating other seasoned veterans all the way. Kenji Matsudaira, the lesser known of the brothers, already had his biggest victory over He Zhi Wen. He is also a top U-21 player~ Now I know people are just gonna say " Oh who cares China will just kick there asses" Well you may be right, but Sweden is gone, but I think Japan will be China's newest rival~!
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Sponsored Links

Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 1:42am
where to find the latest list?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
*Non-Stop Changing Equipments!!!*
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

KKT Cho Tokusen-Tenergy05
gene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 1:45am
yeah, Japanese are catching up pretty quick, i think they may replace korea one day. 
Acoustic F/h: globe999(black)
B/h: Bryce FX(red)
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 1:50am
china will always kick thier asses :)
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 2:04am
Japan is looking pretty impressive and I hope they do catch up, nothing against China but seeing other countries being successful and dominant is fun, variety is the spice of life.  But I don't think any other country will rival the TT program that China has
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
slaplink_pat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaplink_pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 3:12am
Japan definitely has a bright future but I don't know if they have the BEST. I have read somewhere, but I can't remember where.... that Korea, Germany , Chinese Taipei and Singapore are making additional programs dedicated to juniors which will be implemented or are now implemented.
Blade: Xiom AZX
FH: Xiom Omega VII China Guang
BH: DHS PF4

Blade: Donic Alligator Combi
FH: TIbhar MXP
BH: Spinlord Zeitgeist
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 4:53am
Originally posted by slaplink_pat slaplink_pat wrote:

Japan definitely has a bright future but I don't know if they have the BEST. I have read somewhere, but I can't remember where.... that Korea, Germany , Chinese Taipei and Singapore are making additional programs dedicated to juniors which will be implemented or are now implemented.

Singapore's program is not doing it very well though for a few reasons... population only stands at a bit over 4 million (so pool for local talent is small)... the family dun see much value in developing their kid into a professional athlete... the recreational TT environment is not the best, though I guess it might be better than a lot of other sports (especially in schools)...  true-blue Singaporeans can agree or disagree with me...
Fukuhara Special-FL: Bryce Speed + Tango
To test: Yasaka Offensive Gatien 7-ply: Bryce(FH) + Moristo-SP 1.9(BH) *sealing atm*
cmetsbeltran15 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmetsbeltran15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 11:11am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

... he was beating seasoned veterans of the likes of Michael Maze and Dimitji "Dima" Ovtcharov...

Dima is a seasoned veteran?

He is one of Germany's best chances for the future.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ take my energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 12:21pm
 li xiao , your fetish about japan has no boundaries, if japan would be really a treat  to china  there wouldnt be need to buy players like kan yo and yoshida, senior table tennis is more complex than junior tt..the fact maze got downed by  a kid doenst tell nothing..man you really worry me..japan is about electronics not tt, the proof ->kan yo.yoshida..that shows the weakness of the japanese tt system
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 1:02pm
I know Kan Yo is from China. Where does Kaii Yoshida comes from? His name looks Japanese enough, but his style is not that of a traditional Japanese player.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 1:03pm
Yoshida is from China as well
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

I know Kan Yo is from China. Where does Kaii Yoshida comes from? His name looks Japanese enough, but his style is not that of a traditional Japanese player.

he changed his name.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 1:07pm
Dima, Ma Long and Jun Mizutani is at about the same age.. Ma Long is the youngest if i am not mistaken.. Dima has leapt Jun in the last couple of months though, he is ahead of Jun at the moment in the world ranking.

I have read good things about Kenta.. Let's see whether he can continue his progress to the senior level..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
dek-dek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dek-dek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2008 at 4:10pm
japan will rule tt in the next 10 years, so much talent is coming up
Timo boll spirit
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 64
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 2:45am
yeah japan might be a super power, next to germany and korea, but not yet
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Henry Hou View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Hou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 2:56am
With my opnion, China will rule TT for more then ten years. TT is their nationality sport.
Main:Timo Boll Limited edition(FH:G3 2.1 BH: Tenergy 25 2.1)
Spare1.Timo boll ZLF(FH:G3 2.1 BH: G3 FX 2.1)
Spare2.Timo Boll ALC(FH: G3 2.1 BH:ROXON 450 max)
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 2:59am
well that may be true, but players who retire just dont have a future for themselves, what other skills do they have to live life after ping pong?

sure li ning is one exception, but theres little programs to help the athlete after retirement.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 3:18am
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

well that may be true, but players who retire just dont have a future for themselves, what other skills do they have to live life after ping pong?

sure li ning is one exception, but theres little programs to help the athlete after retirement.
coaching!
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
usagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 5:25am
Originally posted by pongmaster pongmaster wrote:

coaching!

That's true... I have heard somewhere once that most of the Chinese kids who are trained professionally dun aspire to be professional players as much as just being professional coaches...
Fukuhara Special-FL: Bryce Speed + Tango
To test: Yasaka Offensive Gatien 7-ply: Bryce(FH) + Moristo-SP 1.9(BH) *sealing atm*
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 6:09am
Private coaching is a lucrative market. Many of the retired players get into that pot of gold if they don't remain on the National Team as a junior coach. There are a few like Jiang Jialiang who become entrepreneurs and have a sidejob commentating during the majors.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 6:10am
There is too many professional Chinese children that play almost at the standard of the adults. This was said in the Beijing Olympic interview in Hong Kong by Ko Lai Chak and Li Ching
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 10:27am
honestly if you look at the stats, Japan's youngsters are showing great potential in tt. As fans we should be happy, nothing is more boring than watching china play against china for everything...
you forgot to mention kasumi ishikawa, who is a friggin beast from middle school, i'd say after she finishes high school she will surpass ai fukuhara

but anyway chinese women are too dominant in tt and at almost every sport
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by popperlocker popperlocker wrote:

honestly if you look at the stats, Japan's youngsters are showing great potential in tt. As fans we should be happy, nothing is more boring than watching china play against china for everything...
you forgot to mention kasumi ishikawa, who is a friggin beast from middle school, i'd say after she finishes high school she will surpass ai fukuhara

but anyway chinese women are too dominant in tt and at almost every sport

if japan want to boost their younger players , they need put down all the older player off the team
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

he changed his name.

Probably nobody knows the answer, but i'll ask anyway.. LOL
Why would he do that?
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 2:58pm
o.O

I totally did not know that Kan Yo and Yoshida Kaii were not Japanese. Kan Yo looks Japanese enough but I always thought Yoshida Kaii didn't look very Japaneezy.

To be honest, in accordance with the OP, I think Japan has a very bright future. Their junior program must be freaking awesome because a lot of Japanese teenagers are doing well for their age groups.

The Koreans though have a very interesting junior program. It seems like they blend the styles of their older pros with the training. They combine the athleticism and the footwork of the penholders, the consistency of the Oh Sang Eun school of ownage, and lastly they retain the power of the forehand from the penholders. I think time will tell if this style will be able to dominate the TT scene.

I know that power and control (Wang Liqin) dominated the tt scene for a LONG time, but as of now spin and control (Wang Hao, Ma Lin) are excelling.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

well that may be true, but players who retire just dont have a future for themselves, what other skills do they have to live life after ping pong?sure li ning is one exception, but theres little programs to help the athlete after retirement.

I don't really look at Germany like a threat at all~ Japan beat Germany 3-1 at the WTTC 2008, and both Jun Mizutani and Kan Yo beat Dima in straights I think~ Timo is on the Way out, so who is left I ask you?
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 4:14pm
It seems that korea is the most competitive now.  I think that one day not all that distant china's domination will wane.  Not because of the rest of the world getting better, but simply because china's interests are becoming more diverse.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2008 at 11:50pm
I did a little searching and discovered the Chinese names of the two repatriated Japanese players.

Kan, Yo (Han, Yang)
Yoshida, Kaii (Song, Haiwei)

Yoshida Kaii said he wanted to win a world title so much that he'd even give up his Chinese nationality and become a Japanese citizen to make their first team. Yoshida went to high school in Japan in 1997.

Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2008 at 10:51am

Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

he changed his name.

Probably nobody knows the answer, but i'll ask anyway.. LOL
Why would he do that?

i know the answer to that: to become a japanese citizen, you must have a japanese name.

but most "japanese" names are either chinese or at least written in chinese (the same goes for korean names), so if you are actually chinese or korean to begin with, then you don't have to change your name so much--you just have to pronouce it in japanese.

so, "kan yo" and "yoshida kaii" are just simply the japanese pronunciations of their chinese names.  but, that said, in the case of yoshida kaii, the "da"  was probably added to "yoshi" cuz you don't usually find people in japan with just "yoshi" as a last name.

you also might have to make a slight change to the chinese characters, as well.

and as for japan rivaling china, i just don't see that happening.  i think mizutani jun will probably get into the top-20, but that's all.  yoshida kaii will not, unless he can somehow get himself to use the jpen backhand loop, cuz running around the table just hitting forehands is not gonna work anymore.  jpen players around the world, i think, are gonna have to rethink that strategy...

anyhow, the chinese system is just too damn good.  there's a zillion players over there ready replace the current crop of top players there when they're needed.

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2008 at 11:20am
Mizutani Jun will crack the top ten early next year. He is improving too damn fast not to. Plus, his style matches up perfectly against players like Chen Qi and Hao Shuai.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic