Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SWORD 10th Anniversary Special Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWORD 10th Anniversary Special Edition
    Posted: 08/29/2008 at 10:49pm
is this blade any good?
saw one at the shop. finishing kind of not as smooth as hurricane king but price slightly more.

said to be better than hurricane king though.

anyone?
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 12:38am
No body in this forum ever use it Shocked
Is it not attractive, hard to find or what? Confused
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Hercules View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 12:58am
Originally posted by rokphish rokphish wrote:

is this blade any good?
saw one at the shop. finishing kind of not as smooth as hurricane king but price slightly more.

said to be better than hurricane king though.

anyone?

What model did you see in the store? Many models are in this brand name. The range is $10- $130.
I am using Sword RG SER 90 Cpen. It is powerful and controllable blade. Sword King SER 90 is faster. Get the King SER 90 if you are a shakehand player.
Hercules

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 1:02am
It is Sword 10th Anniversary Special Edition. Black color.

Here's the photo on chinese web: http://www.showsword.net/db-sword-shnyj.htm

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Hercules View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 1:08am

It is Sword 10th Anniversary Special Edition. Black color.

Here's the photo on chinese web: http://www.showsword.net/db-sword-shnyj.htm

How much did they ask for it? I would try if it's US$150. They have very good touch. I can manage spin and speed with my RG SER 90 blade.
Hercules
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 1:16am
Just about. Finishing is not as good a the Hurricane King though. Same as the box it comes with.

I couldn't find any review for it. Maybe many in chinese... But can't search/read chinese....

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 7:18am
Good touch, hmm, I hope it has woody feel and good control.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2008 at 11:40am
Hercules, how much is the SER 90? Could you tell me more about it? And comparison with other blade? Compared to Hurricane King if possible...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 12:23pm

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 12:25pm

Weight: 89.70g
Dimension: 158x152mm
Thickness: 6mm
Handle: 100mm

Bouncing with bare blade compared to Hurricane King:
Softer, didn't bounce as high or faster (slightly lower bounce & slower), gives muffled (more bass) thock-thock compared to HK's thack-thack/theck-theck sound (more treble).

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 1:40pm
rokphish, looks very nice!  They went all out on the packaging, that's for sure.  Make sure to tell us how it plays, and whether it is indeed better than the HK.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 1:55pm
Nice blade rokpish!And I like the packaging also...I will read your review as soon as you will post it.
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 2:06pm
what are the small circles on the blade edge?
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by firetack firetack wrote:

what are the small circles on the blade edge?

The small circle is nail.

@ Rokphish
So do you get both of the Sword 10 Year Anniversary?
1 for you 1 for me Wink
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2008 at 11:31pm
I will post impression of it, but won't be too detailed since Peter is nagging to send the blade asap to him so I probably have only a chance to a have 1-2 hits with it. Unless Peter is extending the time to end of next week which I don't think he agrees...

The 6 small circles are pins of wood. Said to be Ayous wood pins.

No, I didn't get one myself. Don't have the extra cash for it.

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 1:17am
geez that packaging and the nice finish on that blade reminds me of expensive wine!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

ppmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 1:36am
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Did Zhang Yining use this blade at the Olympics? I vaguely remember that  her blade's handle looked similar to this blade's.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 1:44am
Nope. Don't think so.

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Hercules View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 2:20am

Hercules, how much is the SER 90? Could you tell me more about it? And comparison with other blade? Compared to Hurricane King if possible...

RG SER 90 has a softer top sheet comparing with HK, Acoustic, YEO, Clipper CR. It can loop easily with powerful spin. It is error-tolerant.
Power can be used when you need it. It is good for close and mid distance table. I've tried with Sriver L, FX, Bryce FX, F3 big slam, H3 blue sponge, H2 blue sponge, TG3 #21 blue sponge, TG3 38deg. It is good with all these rubber on FH, BH. My favorite combo for this blade is TG3 #21 blue sponge FH and Sriver L BH.
SER 90 is
better for looping (hard or soft)
better for serving (create heavy spin)
better control
blocking need more powerful rubber for shakehand player (I'm a penholder)

Cheers,
Hercules
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 3:14am
Thanks Hercules.
Do you know the wood construction for the SER90?
Weight?
How much is it?

Also, what's the difference between SER90 and King-SER90?

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
yuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 6:42am
those pins are cross torsional wood beams to reduce flexing across the blade face.
my custom hinoki c-pen have those as well.

looking forward to some review on this rare & difficult to get blade. :D
Viscaria Tiffany
T-05
T-64
BAND!T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAND!T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2008 at 9:21am
it looks like the blade face is a seperate piece of wood from the central piece of the handle... would this effect the durability of the blade?  [you can see the handle has a one-ply in the center while the face is multi-ply]
Gave up on V-Grip, SH smoother
Nittaku Noveliar [9 plies of powerthirst infused layers]
FH: BLACK Xiom Omega II Asian
BH: RED Stiga Boost TC
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 1:39pm
I've decided to send the blade to Peter tomorrow morning instead. I expedite the shipping time because he's been breathing down my neck because of the blade... Hohoho...

So, my impression on it is not complete.
I took it to training session with my coach this evening. Tried the blade on hits and loops on both wings. Didn't try chopping, serving, short dropping (pun intended  Tongue ).

I'm going to quote the translation that Geko did on a review of the blade on the chinese forum:
Originally posted by gekogark1212 gekogark1212 wrote:

This blade is Wang's [blademaker's name...not WLQ lol] proudest creation...using all of the 6 technologies that he has "invented" over the years, and also being of limited production. It goes for 1280 RMB, being equivalent to 50kg of meat or 350kg of rice, some say Sword's lost it, some say it's a joke, while others claim it is worth every cent.
This blade is a composite blade.

Well, I had no idea what the six technologies behind it, but in a chinese web I found the photo of the blade and pointers to the construction of the blades and they are:
Ayous tops (two different color/plies)
Phdaron (Yellow but looks white strips)
Tung
Carbon
Ayous core
On the photo the top plies consisted of two different colors of the same wood, ayous, so either they are one ply but colored differently, or actually two different plies of ayous and colored differently. Perhaps Geko could take a look at the photo and chinese inscriptions and tell more precisely. (http://www.showsword.net/db-sword-shnyj.htm) Here's the official blade link: http://www.swordtt.com/sword/prodintrs.php?id=54 (from Sword). So, it could be either 9 or 11 plies blade. The 6 small circles are pins of wood. Said to be Ayous wood pins.

It has a softish feeling, hence balls hit with it have both high consistency [due to large sweet spot] and especially nice arc...which is rather unique.
If you want to increase its attacking abilities and larger margin of error, then you may pair it with tensor rubbers.
A Guangzuo blade tester has concluded that this blade has good bite, long arc, pushing and drop shots are very precise, spin is strong on 2 winged looping, precise placement.

Yes, the blade feels soft for me. Softer than the HK. Nice feel, better than the HK. Control is better too. Tokyo 2 on FH on general feels better than H3P 40 on the FH. Spiny loops on both wings. But something strange with loops. The harder I looped seemed the less I got. When I relaxed and lessen the power on my loops the shots are going faster, spinier, and better. With the HK, I the harder I give the more I get.

It goes for 1280 RMB, being equivalent to 50kg of meat or 350kg of rice, some say Sword's lost it, some say it's a joke, while others claim it is worth every cent.
But in the end, this blade is not suitable for everyone, some may think it is too soft, some will say its too hard, slightly hard and slightly soft only differs by little, and varies with each person.

Well, it's the $150 question... And I have to say... I'm going to pass...
At first my coach said that my loops were spinier and faster than my HK. Well, during the training session I switched this blade and my HK on and off during same strokes for direct comparison. After switching a few times, my coach then said it's about the same speed and then he (me too) decided that HK suits me better. This blade is better in terms of feel and control. But the softness gets me. I feel it's too soft for me. On FH loops, although I get higher percentage of "IN" shots but it took me more effort and energy compared to when using the HK. One training set = the amount of balls I get to hit from start/0 to I couldn't hit anymore (due to too tired). With this blade, although I have more in table balls, the time of one set is shorter than when I have to do it with my HK. For the BH side, when I play in defense mode I go far from the table and lob the ball (smashes/loops from opponent) with my BH and set up for BH/FH loops. Now, with this blade I have to put up more energy in lobbing the ball to get to the other side more than when I do with HK. This extra energy I find messes with my percentage of safe returns and placement with my BH while lobbing and setting up for loops. So FH higher % of returns but tiring, BH not tiring but lesser % of returns and worse placement.

And, I think the throw is slightly lower than the HK.
And oh, when you loop and didn't do it right.... The sound will let everyone knows you just did a crappy loop... LOL

I was still thinking about getting one myself up to the training session but during the session I have doubts and by the end I know I'm going to pass...

I'm sure this blade is good but it doesn't suit me. But this is on very short try-out though. Who knows, I might change my mind if I were to play this blade with more time and had the chance to play with it in real games.

So, if I were to buy one I would pass.... BUT, if someone is giving me a blade for free and I have to choose between this blade and HK.... I will choose this blade....

I will then sell it and buy the HK and have spare money for other stuff...  Tongue  Wink

p.s.
Based on my previous conversations with Peter, I'd assume that this blade will suit him much better than it suits me. More so coupled with his new Tenergy. So, I hope you have better luck with this blade than I do bud...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
yuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 9:39pm
Thanks beri much for sharing ur experience on the 10 Anni blade. :D

it does give me a better idea abt its characteristics.

let's see what peter says abt it. i got a feeling it will go well with a hard chinese rubber on the FH.
Viscaria Tiffany
T-05
T-64
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 11:27pm
You mean harder than the H3P 40 that I used on the FH? Maybe... I didn't try it with regular H3 (Commercial) nor H3P 41 #19 because of lack of time.

Perhaps Peter could try with H3 commercial because I know he doesn't have H3P in 41, he only has 39 & 40.

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2008 at 11:03pm
I have received the blade yesterday. The wooden box is so thin and light. Made by crappy wood Disapprove. The blade finishing is not as good as hurricane King. Well even my 2006 H-king is better made than my 2007 H-king.
It's better finish than Stiga Hybrid Wood.
The side of the blades is rough compared to H-king. I don't know how many layers of wood and the composition of it.
It has softer feel than H-king as Rokphish said. It has woody feel which is good for me since I like woody feel blades although it's composite blades.
I put H3P 40 n 39 Deg on it, but I haven't try to hit it due to my back pain occured 2 days ago.  Hopefully I'll try it after I've cured my back pain Cry
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2008 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

I have received the blade yesterday. The wooden box is so thin and light. Made by crappy wood Disapprove. The blade finishing is not as good as hurricane King. Well even my 2006 H-king is better made than my 2007 H-king. The side of the blades is rough compared to H-king.

Disclaimer: I had told him about all those things mentioned above BEFORE he decided to buy it...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2008 at 11:56pm

Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

I have received the blade yesterday. The wooden box is so thin and light. Made by crappy wood Disapprove. The blade finishing is not as good as hurricane King. Well even my 2006 H-king is better made than my 2007 H-king. The side of the blades is rough compared to H-king.

Disclaimer: I had told him about all those things mentioned above BEFORE he decided to buy it...

Well, although it's more expensive than H-king with finishing not as good as H-king. I think this blade is unique, It has woody feel like all wood blades.  By hitting a ball against the wall, in soft hit it can be slow, but when I hit hard, suddenly the power comes out. I think this blade has gears. I'll make sure by using it later.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

yuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2008 at 4:17am
Hi Peter,
would u be kind enuf to post a review or something abt ur experience playing wz this blade? Smile

i'm still curious abt it.
Viscaria Tiffany
T-05
T-64
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2008 at 4:29am
Originally posted by yuna yuna wrote:

Hi Peter,
would u be kind enuf to post a review or something abt ur experience playing wz this blade? Smile

i'm still curious abt it.
+1
I would like to know more about the blade as well. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic