FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tuners still legal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuners still legal?
    Posted: 09/02/2008 at 7:13am
Is there any offical regulation prohibiting the use of boosters/tuners etc? Or is it just we'll keep on reading ITTF guys' nonsense opinions without being offical? BTW I just noticed ITTF homepage have a Andro Roxon video ad.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Sponsored Links

Hefner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hefner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 7:20am
Nobb....everything is banned! Tuners and booster....
Butterfly Maze Off
Stiga Boost TC both sides

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 7:25am
After some airing they are not detectable anyway.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 7:29am

If banned, where's offical ITTF regulation? I think they're just informally trying to persuade people out of using boosters.

Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 7:34am

they're banned, I won't even try them, I don't want to complicate myself... Just glue the rubbers to the blade and play, the best you can!

Hefner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hefner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

I have to agree with that! how will they detect like speed optimizer when it�s voc free and designed for the glue ban???

Just use tuners og booster 3-4 days before tournaments

Butterfly Maze Off
Stiga Boost TC both sides

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 7:40am
There's no need to make a single rule or regulation regarding tuners or boosters.

If the modify the characteristic of the topsheet as it was approved, then they are illegal.

Although having said this, I spoke with a member of the ITTF equipment committee the other day, and asked him this question.

Q. If a booster was used, and it was undetected by the ENEZ machine, and the rubbers were under the 4mm rule, would you consider this illegal.

A. No

So go figure. They have rules, but as many Members have said in the past, the have no way of enforcing them.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 7:44am
It's good for my one left bottle of CTE Big%20smile.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 8:14am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

It's good for my one left bottle of CTE Big%20smile.

For your RITC 802-40 I suppose.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 8:34am
I watched (and listened...) the 1st match Dusseldorf/fulda on DTTL/tv the other day. Although it was said they were all using (Boll, Waldner, Suss...etc) V.O.C free rackets, I couldn't help hearing the well known clic sound...I didn't either notice any significant slow down of the speed. I saw Boll new handle. Frankly I wonder what they were playing with . Boll and Waldner didn't look bothered at all, on the contrary. Sole, Suss was obviously under his average level. tensor's fault ? Who knows...
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 8:36am
No, short pips are mostly quite fast without glue/booster etc. I have a spare Magna black which I can use on my KLHS. I may tune it with CTE. Also, classic rubbers are getting cheaper day by day. Maybe I can buy some. 
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 11:41am
Originally posted by pingpongrob pingpongrob wrote:

There's no need to make a single rule or regulation regarding tuners or boosters.

If the modify the characteristic of the topsheet as it was approved, then they are illegal.

Although having said this, I spoke with a member of the ITTF equipment committee the other day, and asked him this question.

Q. If a booster was used, and it was undetected by the ENEZ machine, and the rubbers were under the 4mm rule, would you consider this illegal.

A. No

So go figure. They have rules, but as many Members have said in the past, the have no way of enforcing them.

Exactly. Not only they cannot enforce them, but there is in reality NO rule which prohibits using boosters/tuners... as long as you proclaim that it only changes properties of the sponge, not of the topsheet. For all I know it just might be true.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Hefner Hefner wrote:

I have to agree with that! how will they detect like speed optimizer when it�s voc free and designed for the glue ban???

And that would be cheating.  It does not matter whether or not it is detectable.  If you are doing things to get around detection and using things that are now banned, its cheating.  How about sticking with the rules and not trying to get an unfair advantage.  In other sports, athletes use steroids and have developed elaborate methods to avoid detection.  Its still cheating even if they have avoided detection. 

I do agree that if ITTF is banning substances it should have a way of detecting if someone is cheating.  Since that does not currently exist, people will try to cheat to gain unfair advantage over opponents that are following the new rules. 

If you do this and win close matches, will you be happy with yourself and your results knowing what you have done to circumvent the rules?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by NoFootwork NoFootwork wrote:

Originally posted by Hefner Hefner wrote:

And that would be cheating.  It does not matter whether or not it is detectable.  If you are doing things to get around detection and using things that are now banned, its cheating.  How about sticking with the rules and not trying to get an unfair advantage.  In other sports, athletes use steroids and have developed elaborate methods to avoid detection.  Its still cheating even if they have avoided detection. 

I do agree that if ITTF is banning substances it should have a way of detecting if someone is cheating.  Since that does not currently exist, people will try to cheat to gain unfair advantage over opponents that are following the new rules. 

If you do this and win close matches, will you be happy with yourself and your results knowing what you have done to circumvent the rules?

Once again, there is no official ban on boosters/tuners. ITTF posting on their web sites does not a rule make!

Rule 2.4.7. talks about ban on changes in chemical and other properties of the topsheet. Boosters/tuners are mostly geared toward changing properties of the sponge, so I still cannot see how they can interpret that rule as a ban on tuners. Simply said, they can't - see pingpongrob's conversation with ITTF guy above...

fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

[QUOTE=NoFootwork][QUOTE=Hefner] [QUOTE=Stavros]
Rule 2.4.7. talks about ban on changes in chemical and other properties of the topsheet.

Rule 2.4.7: "The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc."

I don't see anything about a topsheet/sponge distinction. Did I miss something in the rule?
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by fatcomet fatcomet wrote:

[QUOTE=NoFootwork][QUOTE=Hefner] [QUOTE=Stavros]
Rule 2.4.7. talks about ban on changes in chemical and other properties of the topsheet.

Rule 2.4.7: "The covering material should be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc."

I don't see anything about a topsheet/sponge distinction. Did I miss something in the rule?

The fact that sponges aren't autorised by ITTF concludes that 2.4.7 is only talking about topsheet.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 12:22pm
Mr Gustavson conclude otherwises in the article. But what would he know.
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 12:59pm
I just played in a tournament and I talked to some of the tournament directors and they said water-based glues and boosters should be okay. As long as it passes the stupid eNEZ.

They also offered their opinion and said this whole thing about getting rid of speed gluing is a bunch of crap and is making it much more difficult for players, TDs, and companies that sell equipment.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 1:07pm
Give it up, people, you won't win this battle. The Gustafson letter is explicit enough: boosters/tuners are now banned.
Better spend your energy on practicing.

As for the Dusseldorf-Fulda match, everyone except Ovtcharov was playing unglued. Boll was reportedly using Tenergy (at least on his forehand).
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 1:08pm

That is just his opinion and cannot be considered an official ITTF rule until EC or ITTF assembly vote on that - if you read his letter carefully you will see that his logic, how should I put that delicately,... doesn't pass ENEZ-test... Wink

dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 1:27pm

That is just his opinion and cannot be considered an official ITTF rule until EC or ITTF assembly vote on that - if you read his letter carefully you will see that his logic, how should I put that delicately,... doesn't pass ENEZ-test... Wink

LOL
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 2:11pm
Friends,
You will not overcome the ITTF in this contest, you can`t continue with boosters long enouth. Why?

1. All of the world`s leading tt-suppliers will stop producing any stuff of this kind presumably by the end of October 2008
2. ALL boosters \ tuners proved to be quiet detectable when heated up to 40* C.An updated version of ENEZ is equiped with a microwaving generator to heat the racket to be tested.
Recently have had a written conversation with Mr. Tifenbacher (Germany), the inventor of the ENEZ device.

Thanks
Igor.
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 2:15pm
Friends,
You will not overcome the ITTF in this contest, you can`t continue with boosters long enouth. Why?

1. All of the world`s leading tt-suppliers will stop producing any stuff of this kind/
2. ALL boosters \ tuners proved to be quiet detectable when heated up to 40* C.
An updated version of ENEZ is equiped with a microwaving generator to heat the racket to be tested.
Recently have had a written conversation regarding this subject with Mr. Tifenbacher (Germany), the originator of the ENEZ device.

Thanks
Igor.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Friends,

1. All of the world`s leading tt-suppliers will stop producing any stuff of this kind presumably by the end of October 2008
2. ALL boosters \ tuners proved to be quiet detectable when heated up to 40* C.An updated version of ENEZ is equiped with a microwaving generator to heat the racket to be tested.
Recently have had a written conversation with Mr. Tifenbacher (Germany), the inventor of the ENEZ device.

Thanks
Igor.

Igor, first, please remove an extra posting

Secondly, we are not talking about detectability here. We are talking about them being illegal. If you heat up a regularly glued racket tehn you might get some strange results in ENEZ. Noy to mention that water-based speedglue will fire it up as well, and they are not, for some unfathomable reason, banned by ITTF.

Thirdly, I have visited some manufacturers web sites - they are still selling tuners. Stiga for instance sells Extreme booster, Energy speed glue... Megaspin still has Joola Rossi Turbo glue, Killerspin Propel and Torque, etc

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 3:35pm
I was under the impression that if you use a tuner or booster on the sponge, it will expand it in the same way as speed glue and that in turn will alter the properties of the topsheet by putting it under more tension.

Therefore; a tuner/booster on the sponge, does indirectly change the characteristics of the topsheet and would be considered illegal for that reason under rule 2.4.7.
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 3:35pm
Butterfly says "Speed Optimizer One is a safe and easy to use non-glue product that produces true speed glue type effects when used with your current trusted table tennis rubber. Butterfly Speed Optimizer One produces extremely effective results, is simple to apply, leaves no oily residue and is completely safe when used properly. This product is no longer ITTF approved as of 09/01/08."

Stiga says that their extreme booster complies with the new ITTF regulations.

Are the formulations different? Or is one company looking to protect themselves from refunds?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

I was under the impression that if you use a tuner or booster on the sponge, it will expand it in the same way as speed glue and that in turn will alter the properties of the topsheet by putting it under more tension.

Therefore; a tuner/booster on the sponge, does indirectly change the characteristics of the topsheet and would be considered illegal for that reason under rule 2.4.7.

Well, how is that any different from

a) using speed-glue which is for some reason not banned by ITTF in the infamous letter?

b) wiping your rubber with a soapy water or a cleaner foam after having played with it?

c) cutting the original square and then attaching it to the blade using a roller (therefore stretching the rubber etc.)

If you begin to interpret 2.4.7 like that, there is no stopping there and the consequences become ridiculous...

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 4:16pm
yeah if you interpret it like that, which is pretty literal- that you cant alter the properties of a rubber's topsheet or whatever, then really, cleaning the topsheet is altering the topsheet. Which means, the rubber dies FAST- there are so many holes in this all together its ridiculous.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 4:19pm
Jim T

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate and put forward a reason to explain what I perceive as the logic of the ITTF decision.

In my book it would make more sense if rule 2.4.7 read as follows

"The covering material of sponge and ITTF authorised topsheet, should be used straight out of the packet without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc."

That change in the wording would then make it obvious that the sponge and topsheet shouldn't be altered in any way.

If I'm not mistaken the purpose of rule 2.4.7 was originally intended to stop frictionless pips players buying a legal rubber and coating the topsheet to make it play frictionless. i.e. a rule to stop deliberate cheating by unscrupulous frictionless long pips players.

They then also had the problem of boosters and tuners introduced to try and circumvent the speed glue ban and therefore issued letters to try and close that loophole and ban boosters and tuners as well.

I've not heard if the VOC free speed glues are still allowed or banned, but I suspect they are banned, as I've noticed dealers selling them off cheaper.

I'd be very surprised if wiping your rubber with soapy cleaner or cleaning foam are covered by this rule, as they are simply a way to keep the topsheet clean and working properly.

I doubt the ITTF considers stretching the rubber with a roller, as a problem either. I could be wrong on that one and it might be considered as being covered by rule 2.4.7

To rule out any problem for the forthcoming season, I've put two bats together last week, using Donic VOC free glue.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2008 at 4:26pm

Correct me if im wrong, but does anyone remember when this was starting and the reason for banning speedglue was solely based off of health concerns?

boosters/tuners brought out the truth.. whacky. But i guess there really is nothing we can do about it short of starting another organization/federation/association.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic