FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

42mm ball?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 8:50am
You know I've been thinking about it, and maybe it's not so bad as it seems. I mean 40 to 42 is even a less percentage increase than 38 to 40. The way you here it described here is that when you chop or topspin the ball, by the time it reaches the other side of the table it will be no spin! Come on, guys. There may be a tiny spin reduction but I'm sure if you loop a 42mm ball with say Inspirit Quattro 35mm, it will still land on the other side with a kick.

Sponsored Links

lecridupongiste View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lecridupongiste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 9:00am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

I heard on another forum that Sharara announced to the german ITTF site that they are testing the 42mm ball !!! He also said they are going to raise the net size, and that if sharara wins the election next year thsese things will take place. Has anyone heard anything about this???

The original and the english translation.
This guy is nuts.
I miss the 38mm ball.
I miss the 21 points.

I sincerely hope he won't be reelected next year.
Low Tek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 9:24am
Does anyone have an actual ITTF website link where he states this? Or is all of this just rumors? Is there an ITTF.de?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lecridupongiste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 9:39am
Well, BOTH links I just posted are on the ITTF website.
Low Tek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 9:45am
Ahh my bad, I guess I overlooked those links thinking they were part of your signature.
manyaku88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manyaku88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 10:01am

not only is it bigger but it's lighter, instead of 2.7gr the 40mm has, the 44mm is 2.2-2.4gr

Blade: Bty BalsaCarbo X5 FL

FH Bty Tenergy 05 2.1

BH: Palio Aeolus 45* 2.2
crs2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crs2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 10:07am

I believe he will be elected and  will change the sport as he damn pleases. And there's nothing anybody in this world can do about it.  Do you agree?

Where was the protest against these measures now? What national federation complained? How many players signed the petition against the ban? People are sheep and they go where the shepherd leads them. That is why they elect a president so they don't have to get involved ever again.

Why is it so important for the sport to become more popular? Isn't it already? Why should the ball be more visible on the screen (btw, 2mm won't make the ball more visible) or the net higher? Why should the halls be even more packed with spectators? Paris Worlds 2003 wasn't packed enough? Why  change a thing THAT WORKS?

This man has to understand something: Table tennis will never be the most popular sport in the world! And that is OK with me. Leave this game alone.
Low Tek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Low Tek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 10:42am
Well I emailed Adham Sharara directly and he confirmed that these changes are being discussed, but he also said that "there is no current proposal at the moment to increase the size of the ball."

These changes are just discussions at this point, and even if they became official proposals, there would be "a series of experiments would have to be conducted and a long time frame would be in order before any such change would take place."

So no worries yet. If AND when the proposal becomes a reality, we can all bitch about it then. =]
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 10:48am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

You know I've been thinking about it, and maybe it's not so bad as it seems. I mean 40 to 42 is even a less percentage increase than 38 to 40. The way you here it described here is that when you chop or topspin the ball, by the time it reaches the other side of the table it will be no spin! Come on, guys. There may be a tiny spin reduction but I'm sure if you loop a 42mm ball with say Inspirit Quattro 35mm, it will still land on the other side with a kick.

It will loose at least 15% spin and speed, much more than anyone ever gained with speed glue

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 10:51am
Originally posted by crs2 crs2 wrote:

I believe he will be elected and  will change the sport as he damn pleases. And there's nothing anybody in this world can do about it.  Do you agree?

Where was the protest against these measures now? What national federation complained? How many players signed the petition against the ban? People are sheep and they go where the shepherd leads them. That is why they elect a president so they don't have to get involved ever again.

Why is it so important for the sport to become more popular? Isn't it already? Why should the ball be more visible on the screen (btw, 2mm won't make the ball more visible) or the net higher? Why should the halls be even more packed with spectators? Paris Worlds 2003 wasn't packed enough? Why  change a thing THAT WORKS?

This man has to understand something: Table tennis will never be the most popular sport in the world! And that is OK with me. Leave this game alone.

Damm straight!, it will never be as popular as tennis untill they give you a million dollars to win a tournament and make the girls wear skirts, well ok they don't in tennis anymore but still :) it was allready popular when they stopped so they didn't need it anymore. I don't care if it never gets famous, that's part of the charm

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Low Tek Low Tek wrote:

Well I emailed Adham Sharara directly and he confirmed that these changes are being discussed, but he also said that "there is no current proposal at the moment to increase the size of the ball."

These changes are just discussions at this point, and even if they became official proposals, there would be "a series of experiments would have to be conducted and a long time frame would be in order before any such change would take place."

So no worries yet. If AND when the proposal becomes a reality, we can all bitch about it then. =]

Sure, there is no current proposal, but do we want him to do the same thing they are doing with boosters/tuners. Let us know right after we have gotten used to them, that it wont be legal next week? come on, this guy is a joke. The fact that it is being discussed right now by us instead of the year he decides to do it is probably for the best i think, it wont hop up on our backs like a lion hunting.. just like this booster/tuner thing did. Plus you know he can accelerate those tests, he just wants the game slow. The players opinion doesn't even matter anymore. The only reason we 'flock like sheep' or whatever is because no one wants to stand up and do anything or take any initiative. but anyways, We'll know about it ahead of time, because you KNOW he is just the person to enforce that kind of thing.

Also, all the people who are defending the 42-44mm ball, have OBVIOUSLY never played with one. The fact that its lighter AND bigger means not only is it slower from the size, but it floats just that much longer in the air because of the weight tacked on. We might as well all become defenders, because thats who will dominate now. You dont even need to be a good one, just junk chop back all day long. Plus you can squeeze into those things with very minimal effort, meaning when you do hit hard, the ball collapses- and they crack really easily. I dont care if you have WLQ's FH, you wont be able to put any speed on that ball. Period.

thanks.
pablogilberto View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:18am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

It will loose at least 15% spin and speed, much more than anyone ever gained with speed glue

Where'd you get this data? any valid samples or just throwing a number here?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lecridupongiste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:19am

Sure, there is no current proposal, but do we want him to do the same thing they are doing with boosters/tuners. Let us know right after we have gotten used to them, that it wont be legal next week? come on, this guy is a joke. The fact that it is being discussed right now by us instead of the year he decides to do it is probably for the best i think, it wont hop up on our backs like a lion hunting.. just like this booster/tuner thing did. Plus you know he can accelerate those tests, he just wants the game slow. The players opinion doesn't even matter anymore. The only reason we 'flock like sheep' or whatever is because no one wants to stand up and do anything or take any initiative. but anyways, We'll know about it ahead of time, because you KNOW he is just the person to enforce that kind of thing.

+1
He did exactly the same for the 11 points.
And for the 40mm ball.
And for frictionless long pips.
And for speedgluing.
And for boosters.
How could anyone believe him ?
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:20am
What JimT said.
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:33am

We might as well all become defenders, because thats who will dominate now.

Funny thing is.. that's exactly his goal as he's a defender himself. He admitted that he wants to see defenders winning something.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:34am
Originally posted by pablogilberto pablogilberto wrote:

Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

Where'd you get this data? any valid samples or just throwing a number here?

The 38-40 lost about 15% and air resitance gets worse as size increases, like say 2mm bigger from 38-40 has less effect than 2mm from 40-42. Same reason why cars use more fuel at 110km/h rather than 95 even tho you are getting there faster you still use more. I'm willing to be corrected by a scientist but you can be sure it will be around 15%. Also if anyone can remember the 38mm balls used to last almost forever. The 40's are lucky to last a few games, I bet the 42's break any time you give one a fair smack

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:39am
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

We might as well all become defenders, because thats who will dominate now.

Funny thing is.. that's exactly his goal as he's a defender himself. He admitted that he wants to see defenders winning something.

aaaaahhhhh.... so the truth comes out now. I didn't know he said that.. haha he's not good enough of a player so he uses his power to win more instead of training. lol...                           t,=o---------------...-- (x.x)

(i cant do that crap, but that picture = shoot me in the head)
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:40am
its a lot harder to defend with a bigger ball. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:44am
Do you want to heighten the net and increase the ball size to slow down the game and to make it more comprehensible?
Yes, I want to bring back the defensive players in our sport.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:50am
I think Alot of people need to go out and buy a 44mm ball. Then you will see how drastic the difference is.  If a 42mm ball is 1/3 this difference, it is still much bigger than 38mm to 40mm.
The real problem is the reason he is making the changes. To try and stop domination by one country earned through hard work and training.
How would you feel if it was "your" country?Angry
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 11:56am
what do you all think his chances are of making it happen?
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

I think Alot of people need to go out and buy a 44mm ball. Then you will see how drastic the difference is.  If a 42mm ball is 1/3 this difference, it is still much bigger than 38mm to 40mm.
The real problem is the reason he is making the changes. To try and stop domination by one country earned through hard work and training.
How would you feel if it was "your" country?Angry

AMEN! Everyone always hates on china, but if you have so many complaints about them dominating everything that is TT, then why dont you go out and work as hard as they do at it. Nobody else trains like they do, and they have more people to be good at it.. so big population + unparalleled training methods and tactics= domination of the sport. If a country can train like they can, then the numbers are less important, and you narrow the gap considerably, if not close it. They live together, come on! thats just their dedication outdoing everyone elses.

And bring back the defenders? i dont get it, bringing back the defenders by giving them an edge above everyone else is no way to bring back defenders. That's not fair to them.. well atleast the good honorable ones. There are world class choppers, sure not as many, but that's because there are not nearly as many chopper friendly coaches..not because the ball is too small. the 40mm ball is a happy medium for both attackers and defenders.  38mm was geared slightly toward attacking, and defenders had to have a quicker eye... this 42-44mm ball will make it shooting fish in a barrel for any defender because the ball is so much slower.
dimitris View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dimitris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 12:41pm
Anybody knows who votes on this election and how we can influence the vote? If we, the participants of the sport, do not have a saying in this, it seems to me that the procedures are not very democratic...
Darker Tanpan, fh 729 higher 2.0mm, bh 729 geospin 2.0mm

My for sale thread
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by dimitris dimitris wrote:

Anybody knows who votes on this election and how we can influence the vote? If we, the participants of the sport, do not have a saying in this, it seems to me that the procedures are not very democratic...

An online petition could probably help! Anybody who thinks this is a good idea, we can start it here in MyTT.
saurabh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saurabh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 1:03pm
this man seems to be too bossessed with the ball things. crazy balls...all balls in his head... 
------
Blade :Stiga Offensive Classic
FH: COPPA JO Gold red
BH: Butterfly Sriver EL black
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pablogilberto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 1:05pm
Next change: 5.5x9.5 tables!!
saurabh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saurabh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 1:07pm
so the if all these things change we all will have to get oversize blades.. :(
that's a sad story actually.
------
Blade :Stiga Offensive Classic
FH: COPPA JO Gold red
BH: Butterfly Sriver EL black
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 1:35pm

Why don't he try tennis ball and let us TT players play with shorter tennis racquet? Angry

When will ITTF hold a meeting to replace this man.. he is abusing the power given to him by us.. TT grass roots players.. Angry
Let's start a new federation.. LOL
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 1:47pm
Actually i played around with 38 mm ball the other day when my teammate brought one and that little ball is lightning fast!! lot faster than the 40 mm.
So if they bring the 42 mm ball in the game will significantly loose speed.

But too much change in such short time (11 points, no hiding serve, speed glue ban, tuner ban, etc) is detrimental to the game.
Because you have to adjust so much into your game.. look at Basketball, tennis, badminton, football, there is not one sport that make so many changes like TT.. It hurts players the most. The current glue ban increase the price rubber significantly not to mention we have to adjust our technique to the new rubbers.. then this we have to adjust to a new size ball.. OMG..
This will not make TT more popular but more likely makes TT lose its already relatively thin popularity.. *sigh*
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by checkmilu checkmilu wrote:

You guys are examples of change resistance.

It's always hard to change, but if it's good then we have to change.

You familiar with small ball so don't want larger ball. Any one here have try the old small ball and want to change back to the 38mm ball? No? I'm sure most of people love the new 40mm ball, it's easier to see, more feelling, less stupid mistakes...

Same to the bigger ball of 42-44mm, depend on its weigh, bouncing characteristics...the game still be very fast but at the same time more spectator friendly, people sitting at the back of a large stadium or infront of TV still understand and enjoy the games. It'd make our sport be more popular, more TV coverage, more $$$ so the game will be more competitive, more top players from Europe, Australia, America...so it's good for every one...think out side the box guys

i agree--to a certain extent.  and i think if you asked sharara about it he would say exactly what you said. 

but i feel he is actually acting under a false impression (that the ittf has had for a while now, at least since '88-'89) that changes to the rules (on equipment, in this case) will somehow mitigate the total lockdown that the chinese have on the game right now.  and his post-olympic statements on his "concerns," as he put it, confirm my feelings.

as i see it, the only equipment rule change that might mitigate chinese dominance for a short while (and only for a short while) would be to ban sticky rubber. 

if you watch the games closely between the chinese and the rest of the world you can see clearly that they are bothered by the spin from the sticky rubber the chinese play with.

if you only rarely, or worse, never practice against chinese rubber, you absolutely, positively will have problems with it.  if you don't practice against it, you will have a really hard time anticipating how much spin is on the ball or how the ball will "kick" when it hits your side of the table.

so, a lot of times, you think you're in position for the next ball, but it drops below your racket.  or sometimes you think you can hit the next ball off the bounce only to have it curve on you in some funny way and spin right off your racket.

those aren't stupid mistakes--it's the rubber.  chinese rubber is just too unpredictable if you are not used to it.

so, if sharara wants to lessen chinese dominance, he should push for a ban on sticky rubber, but that would be way too obvious, so i guess he'll push for a bigger ball instead.

and the reason for that is the bigger ball will reduce the spin and speed, and, therefore, the unpredictability of the chinese rubber.  but that will only be temporary, cuz faster, spinnier chinese rubber will come out shortly after the 42 mm ball, if that rule change does come about.

also, there's been a lot of rancor on this forum towards prez sharara for the changes "he" made to the game, but they were voted on by a committee, NOT decided on by him.

tv...  y'know, i'm a little bit of an oldtimer.  i've been playing and watching this came off and on for a little more than 20 yrs.  and i can tell you that the game has never been televised as much as it is now (since sharara took over), save for a brief time in the early to mid 80's.  nor has the shotmaking been this good.

also, in the past, he's often cited "tv" as a justification for rule changes.  how do we know he's not telling the truth?  maybe the tv people are in fact telling him, "look, if you want us to televise this, then we need you guys to change this, that and the other thing..."  you never know...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic