Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

42mm ball?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 11:33am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

lol.. thanks for clearing that up.. but i had to say the rest of what i had to say anyway.. and i didnt mean to come off as a jerk like i sometimes do to people when i defend something.. so thanks.

But yes i dont understand why tv is so important. The internet is much more widely used now anyway.. and everytime you see thos popular points on the internet videos... everyone i show it to says... "oh man yeah ive seen that before isnt it great" not "why would i watch TT"

You guys are forgetting that Internet requires

a) having a really good Internet connection (not the case in a vast majority of households even in the North America). With the exception of South Korea, Japan and some European countries, TV will be a prevalent medium for many years still

b) knowing what to do with those computers, OS, media players, codecs etc. All you need to do with a TV is to pay some money to buy channels, then turn it on. So again, with the huge majority of spectators, TV is far superior in convenience to Internet streaming

c) and finally, more money than TV. You can buy a good TV for under 100 bucks or you can get it for free from a friend who is upgrading, so the hardware cost is almost zero. Electricity costs are lower for TVs, and usually people have TV in their homes anyway. Connection costs are similar - in the US about 50 dollars a month for a good cable package and about the same for a high-speed connection (rates may diifer, of course). For the computer, however, you need to pay some real money (let's say, close to a thousand dollars) because a used or old one won't be able to play your videos. Not to mention, computers are getting obsolete pretty fast - but a TV? you can use the same one for 20 years straight. Certainly you need to spend more of your time for the setup, downloading and installing software, even if you know what to do.

Clearly, your money/time/expertise expenses are way higher with Internet video streaming than with TV, and that will hold true for the foreseeable future.

You guy are already on the Internet and are using some more or less sophisticated software, so it's harder for you to understand why everyone is not doing the same. Believe me, they don't, and they won't... at least until we are all flying with the jetpacks on our butts and are implanted with web interface in a hospital when we are born.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 11:55am
You don't change a winning formula. And simply, table tennis as it is now is not a winning formula. Repetition whilst expecting different results is insanity. We want more public exposure, more dollars spent, more marketable athletes, more overall mainstream presence. We will keep changing the sport until the corporate bigwigs attend the big tournaments, until we get millionaires in the pro ranks, until pros outside the top 100 can do more than just get by.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 2:47pm
thanks JimT- i didn't think of it like that.. I guess i was centering my attention towards the stereotypical american teenager.. who sterotypically knows what needs to be known about computers.. i left out the rest of the world... even i cant watch things at home because my internet and computer sucks... writing this right now i am in the middle of my college's computer lab. I have to do all my computer work at school.. so i guess you're right about that. But i still think Getting people to play first will popularize our sport more. TV isn't the whole answer.. it comes in time. But changing the game completely at the expense of TV just isnt the way i dont think. Either way, it's a long process with results coming down the road. TT will have its day, but I dont think changing the game to make it slower and "more exciting" (haha) will solve our problems at all. It will make the game less fun to play.. and all for the purpose of making it a spectator sport. Why does it need to be so popular and on tv anyway? What is the ultimate goal in mind? i dont really see an ultimate goal.. except more money. Thats all anything is ever about anymore is more money. However, i guess please enlighten me to a different reason.

thanks
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

42mm ball is rarely used except for a league of older tt players in Japan who play " Ra-Ji Ba-Ru" Or literally "Large Ball. Which is usually only played with pimpled rubbers (Yasaka Extend LB for example) So using this for real play is preposterous.

Not that I am an expert, but I was sure what you are referring to was the 44mm ball, the 42mm ball is not commercially available --> I could be wrong, just thought 44mm has following in Japan, love to know more about 42mm and whether or not I can get some -- see if I can sneak one into a game with my training partners LOLLOLLOL
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

thanks JimT- i didn't think of it like that.. I guess i was centering my attention towards the stereotypical american teenager.. who sterotypically knows what needs to be known about computers.. i left out the rest of the world... even i cant watch things at home because my internet and computer sucks... writing this right now i am in the middle of my college's computer lab. I have to do all my computer work at school.. so i guess you're right about that. But i still think Getting people to play first will popularize our sport more. TV isn't the whole answer.. it comes in time. But changing the game completely at the expense of TV just isnt the way i dont think. Either way, it's a long process with results coming down the road. TT will have its day, but I dont think changing the game to make it slower and "more exciting" (haha) will solve our problems at all. It will make the game less fun to play.. and all for the purpose of making it a spectator sport. Why does it need to be so popular and on tv anyway? What is the ultimate goal in mind? i dont really see an ultimate goal.. except more money. Thats all anything is ever about anymore is more money. However, i guess please enlighten me to a different reason.

thanks

It may be not all about money, but usually money and popularity and TV ratings all go hand in hand. As for why we need it... well, I have resumed playing TT just about a year ago, and I went to more than a dozen tournaments, and I keep seeing same people.

Do you know how many USATT-registered players are there in Massachusetts? Less than 200! There are about 6-7 active clubs, each with 10-15 active members (I am not talking about non-USATT very amateurish guys and girls who come there just to kick the ball a little since their basement is now occupied by a second refrigerator instead of a TT table). We don't have coaches, we suffer from bad equipment, from poorly lit gyms, from having to drive an hour just to get to the club, from absence of leagues, etc etc.

Massachusetts' population is about 10 mln people. In Germany with population of about 85 mln there are 11,000 clubs and 600,000 registered DTTL  members... that means that TT-club density in Germany is about 200 (two hundred!) times higher... and TT-player density is 300 times higher. I am not saying we can reach that - Germans had a long running TT club tradition so that kind of thing cannot be done fast... but if we could increase the ratio from 1/200 to at least 1/20 that would be a huge breakthrough in the US.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 3:29pm
Flame target ahead:

I am going out on a limb here, but I played with 38mm ball back in the day, 21 points games-- never speed glued though. It was fun but...

I enjoy the sport more now BECAUSE of the 11 point matches, because the ball is a little slower, and because the playing field is maybe a little more level and perhaps a fair bit more safe healthwise (don't flame me too hard on this next statement) because of the elimination of speed glue. I never had the benefits of speed glue, so I know I am ignorant in that respect. Even smoking cigarettes has some benefits (nicotine increases concentration, suppresses appetite, much like caffeine), but everyone knows that the negative of smoking outweighs the positive.

At first I was like, "what was wrong with the old ball size?", "what was wrong with my disguised serves? they worked just FINE!", "11 points? really?"
But now it just is a part of the game.
So maybe I am the only one, but I actually like the changes and it has not been remarkably hard to transition to the new rules. Rules change in every sport, just like laws change in every society. So unless you are going to get involved in some sort of para-political movement to reject any rule changes, it sort of means that you (read: you, me, everyone) will just have to adjust to the changes.

There may be some positives to a potential increase in ball size, I wonder what they could be?

Light up your flamethrowers!
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 4:45pm
11 point games I prefer too, It favours the player more willing to attack on the first 3 points and that's me. 40mm ball forget it :)

poor_newb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poor_newb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2008 at 11:14pm
the changes are only going to make the chinese dominate even more because they have the most players and can adapt the fastest, the rest of the world would be too slow to adopt to a new game because table tennis anywhere else is just not as popular than china
tonovector View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonovector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 10:32am
If Sharara's point is to slow the game down, wouldn�t it be easier just to set maximum allowable sponge thickness to 2.2 mm?  It would be less traumatic, and easily enforceable.  All these other rule changes in quick succession wreak havoc with our game...  The 40 mm ball and the 11 point game required a lot of adaptation, and now it is OK.  Now the glue and frictionless LP ban...  they should leave the game as it is for the next 5 years at least...  let�s vote to put a 5-year moratorium on rule changes!!!
Darker 5P-2A
FH BTY Tenergy 05
BH BTY Solcion
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 11:49am
yeah im in agreeance because how many changes are we supposed to adapt to in such a short time? why would you change the ball size, and then less than 10 years later change it again after already taking away speed in a game. Hopefully this glue ban will make it slow enough for their liking to leave the ball and net alone for now. We havent really seen too much of the glue ban and so i think if it settles in, maybe they will just leave the other stuff alone... atleast thats what they should do for now. Why try to tack on other changes to slow down the game when you havent even seen what your other changes have done yet??? nonsense..
Froz3nheaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Froz3nheaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 2:52pm
THEY JUST f**kING AGAINST AND JEALOUS OF THE CHINESE. TRYING TO GIVE MORE ADVANTAGE TO THE EUROPEAN PLAYERS
Stiga Offensive NCT
National Voc-free H3 Blue Sponge
Hammond-x

Superserv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superserv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 4:41pm
is that true that the ITTF  banned the speed glueing coz they want to break the chinese dominans or something else?
Photino ST
sinuz alfa max FH/BH
Need to add more speed to my FH.

need MORE speed

I WILL use THIS COMBO 4EVER!
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 9:37pm
the europeans were the 1st to use speed glue in widespread use... seems unlikely that a glue ban would just affect the Chinese.
Superserv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Superserv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 11:52pm
yeah but the Chinese took to another level with speed glueingClap, thats why it will affect the chinese more or less.
Photino ST
sinuz alfa max FH/BH
Need to add more speed to my FH.

need MORE speed

I WILL use THIS COMBO 4EVER!
turtle View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 7:17am
changes like taking speed glue away was aimed at levelling the playing field. for the pro who always uses speed glue, playing against amateur who doesnt, was ridicolously unfair.

any changes that makes table tennis more playable is a benefit, taking away wonky pimples was another good step, for those who just picked up ttennis to then play a pimple player is dis-heartening, winning off another persons unforced or forced errors because of a wonky rubber spin is not honourable.

bigger ball, higher net, equates to longer rallies and greater enjoyment. so what if the game is slower, all the better i say. winning should not be the primary focus of any sport, but a 'fun factor' that enables more to enjoy the sport.

imagine if tennis was a game such that the net was so low, that you easily ace your apponent everytime u serve, the game will be just about serves only--> boring. raise the net height, and u create a new dimension for the sport. imagine also, if the ball was the size of a marble, the speed would be phenomonal, and the game would be so fluke-y

change is always meant for the better.
Defence!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic