Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need advice on building my first bat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
poor_newb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poor_newb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice on building my first bat
    Posted: 09/06/2008 at 2:22pm
I am a chinese penholder with rpb, my old bat was a 729 preassembled, but its tacky rubber is driving me crazy so I decided to build a new one with non-tacky rubbers. I dont want to spend a lot of money either so I'm looking mostly at the chinese stuff.

I think I will use the 729 bomb penhold blade, from what I have read it is a really good all around offensive blade for its price, but I dont know if its too fast for me.

For the rubbers I only know of the focus III as the only non-tacky chinese rubber, but is it too heavy for a penholder? What about the focus I, is it tacky? Should I use different rubbers for fh and bh for rpb? Is 2.2mm too much for backhand? I am completely clueless here, and I would take any rubber as long as its non-tacky and affordable.
Sponsored Links

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 2:36pm
Welcome to the forum.  You can consider Dawei Inspirit (and its variants).  The tackiness on its topsheet is relatively very little and wears off rather quickly.  I am using Inspirit right now as alternatives to Sriver and Mark V that I was using.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 2:47pm
Venus is another good rubber that is a little tacky out of the package but after one use, becomes grippy, tack is gone.  About $14.   Smile
poor_newb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poor_newb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2008 at 3:48pm
Let's start this with a 729 bomb penhold with focus III on both sides, is it going to be a bad setup for rpb? Am I going to run into problems with it? Can I make it better with different rubbers?
poor_newb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poor_newb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2008 at 8:26pm
Hi, I did some more research and the 729 dynasty hinoki penhold caught my eye, how does it compare to the 729 bomb?

What's the difference between a 7-ply(bomb) and a 5-ply(dynasty hinoki)?

I also found that gambler six shooter is another non tacky rubber, and it comes in 1.5/1.8/2.0 thickness which may be better for my backhand.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic