Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To Make Blade Head Heavy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To Make Blade Head Heavy
    Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:23pm
Hello guys, I just want to ask what method to make our blades for balanced to headheavy. My borko blade is light only 77,6 gr and it's balanced if I put 45 gr rubber on both sides. I prefer rather head heavy blade so that it's easier to loop.
I've used Reactor thunder and Cermet on my Borko.
Previously I only glue 1 times on each rubber.
Is it possible to make the setup to become head heavy by adding layers of rubber cement on both rubbers?
Yesterday I add 2 thick layers of rubber cement on each rubber.
My setup is increasing in weight, from 172 gr to 174 gr.
Indeed difference 2 gr, make the weight more shifting to racket head.
Has anyone prove this method? Thanks for your attention Smile
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Sponsored Links

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:27pm
peter,hi.there is a sort of tape butterfly makes to increase the weight of the racket.look at their website.we have some here in the us.i think u can add 3-5 gramms easily
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:28pm
Well, I for one don't believe that one could actually FEEL the difference of 2gr when playing. I believe it feel heavier due to psychological reason. I believe you could feel the weight difference if it were heavier, but 2gr? I don't think so...

instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:30pm
Thanks holda for your advice Smile, but I want to know whether using rubber cement could also add weight in my setup. The bad thing about the side tape, it can cause wood splinter.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:33pm
You can easily add 15g by putting 10 layers on each side.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by rokphish rokphish wrote:

Well, I for one don't believe that one could actually FEEL the difference of 2gr when playing. I believe it feel heavier due to psychological reason. I believe you could feel the weight difference if it were heavier, but 2gr? I don't think so...

Well then you're insensitive with your feel LOL
When I used to glue, I glue every time before I play.
I can feel each time I glue, my setup become heavier.
It become more head heavy.
I clean my rubber every 2 weeks.
In 2 weeks, the glue that I clean can up to 5 grams for each rubber Confused
I glue 1 layer only.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:35pm
Of course it would ADD weight. As proven by the increase weight when weighing on the weight scale. But my point is you won't feel 2gr difference when playing. That's the reason why I told you to post the question. Whether you can feel 2gr of difference or not, not that it actually could increase weight because of course it will increase weight.

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by TT_Freak TT_Freak wrote:

You can easily add 15g by putting 10 layers on each side.

That I believe you could feel the difference when playing. My point to Peter was that you wouldn't feel 2gr increase of weight. Unless of course he's one super sensitive not average joe, which I doubt very much...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:39pm
Yeah indeed I can feel the difference from before adding 2 layers of each rubber and after. Maybe I would add 1 more layer on each sides.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

When I used to glue, I glue every time before I play.
I can feel each time I glue, my setup become heavier.
It become more head heavy.
I glue 1 layer only.

If you can actually feel your setup becomes heavier with only applying 1 layer of speedglue.... then either you apply a VERY VERY VERY THICK 1 layer of glue... or... like i said, it's all just in your head man....

of course with time it will built up and will become heavier and noticeable OVER TIME...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:51pm
Yeah a quite thick layer of speed glue each sides. It must be cleaned in 2 weeks time( 5 times a week play) other wise I must use more speed glue to make it dome.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2008 at 11:59pm
also from that -cool- database you could chose heavier rubbers maybe?
http://mass.doingitwrong.net

If you click http://mass.doingitwrong.net/index.php?mode=gpcm2 that link you have them sorted by mass and the bottom ones are the heaviest.
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 12:11am
use 1/4" lead tape for tennis racquets.  apply it around the edge of the blade to your desired weight and balance.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 12:24am
Yeah choosing heavier rubber is another option too.
Using lead tape? I'll try to google first, thanks guys Tongue
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 2:25am
the lead tape sounds a good option,less drastic than drilling the handle to hollow it out,although this too shifts the weight towards the head but may add vibration
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 2:30am
no,peter.your blades are sealed,i think,so no problem at all.acostic/violin are made of so hard wood venners,that i can not imagine you will cause sany damage by removing the edge tape.that is contrary to if your blade has a balsa core.forget it....
ajchien View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajchien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 4:20am
You could use more glue.

I personally would go for the lead edge tape.

Alternatively you could shave or thin the handle, or drill holes into your handle.

-------------------
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 4:35am
dear peter79,

one day I asked Fan Yiyong (Chinese Junior #1 20 years ago and #1 in US right now --> look http://dnn.yiyongfan.com ) if he prefers  the cennter of gravity of the paddle being toward the head (head heavy) or the handle (seems lighter). He answered "I prefer balance". I thought I did not asked my question right so I tried again asking what's better for him (another way) and he just said "...balance".

Reminder:
Looping like a mad(wo)man? head heavy is better
short game? control? placement? handle heavy is better

Fan Yiyong is #1 is US and was Junior #1 in China when he was a teen and he prefers balance.

That should tells us a bit about what's best in a paddle.

He just wants BOTH...and that means no head heavy; no handle heavy. Just...balance.

Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 5:41am
A balanced blade is best, your own power and the speed of the rubber will get your loops going, and the balance will help you in the short game. If at all, because I use my own power so much, I would go for a slightly handle heavy blade. It feels lighter in the hand and allows faster swings and quicker movement.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Ranger-man Ranger-man wrote:

A balanced blade is best, your own power and the speed of the rubber will get your loops going, and the balance will help you in the short game. If at all, because I use my own power so much, I would go for a slightly handle heavy blade. It feels lighter in the hand and allows faster swings and quicker movement.

YES! when I try that the quick loop over the table returning serves gets much better but...counterlooping away from the table gets weaker.

Since I can't choose I go for balance.
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 1:19pm
it is all in thier head. we can give them identical setups except one racket would weigh 2 grams heavier and they couldnt tell a difference. but of course people that worry about 2 grams are so hard headed that they would still say they can feel a difference.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 1:30pm
Cut the handle.. Tongue That should make the blade head heavy LOL

Of course you can make rubber heavier with the residue of your glue.. just put many layers of glue. I said that in another thread..
But this only works after a while. If only for a couple of times you glue, you will only make a tiny difference in the weight.. 
And don't remove the glue, it will reduce the weight you've put on..!!

655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 1:32pm
And using your Hurricane 3 FH and tenergy on the BH on your Borko is another solution.. 
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 2:05pm
After you cut the new rubber to fit your blade use the excess by cutting a straight strip the thickness of your blade and glue it on like you would apply edge tape.  Instant weight and edge protection. Smile
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2008 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by bowebj bowebj wrote:

it is all in thier head. we can give them identical setups except one racket would weigh 2 grams heavier and they couldnt tell a difference. but of course people that worry about 2 grams are so hard headed that they would still say they can feel a difference.

that's what i thought... this post was written because he was insisting that he could tell 2gr weight difference after gluing two layers of rubber cement on the rubbers. I said he couldn't have. I said normal average joe won't notice 2gr weight difference... and then i said... why don't you post and ask the people at the forum about whether or not one could feel the difference of 2gr in playability. he ended up asking about head heavy and what not and somewhere in there about the weight increase... but as the matter of fact the origin of this thread is our argument about the difference of 2gr. I say not noticeable, he said he could tell the difference and that it's very noticeable...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 1:39am
He's talking about the balance. An extra 2g in the head will be noticably more head heavy, since the further away you add the weight the more pronounced its effect.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
wise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 1:46am
Y would u use speed glue isnt that stuff banned now?
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 2:26am
Originally posted by TT_Freak TT_Freak wrote:

He's talking about the balance. An extra 2g in the head will be noticably more head heavy, since the further away you add the weight the more pronounced its effect.

That's what I'm going to tell Rokphish about. I can Feel the 2 gr Difference since I'm a sensitive person LOL. He said Imposible for someone to feel the 2 gr difference in weight. But I can feel it, that's why I post this topic Wink
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 2:28am
Originally posted by wise wise wrote:

Y would u use speed glue isnt that stuff banned now?

I use Rubber Cement, not speed glue Smile
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2008 at 2:36am
Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

no,peter.your blades are sealed,i think,so no problem at all.acostic/violin are made of so hard wood venners,that i can not imagine you will cause sany damage by removing the edge tape.that is contrary to if your blade has a balsa core.forget it....

Well my borko 5 ply is made of balsa core, but it's harder than what I've seen in Donic Opticon RS which is very soft and fragile. My Borko Blades is sealed by Borko, but since it's balsa core, I still afraid of splinter.  
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic