Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need TT Shoes that will relieve painful feet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need TT Shoes that will relieve painful feet
    Posted: 09/18/2008 at 3:50pm
Formerly titled: Shoes for painful feet

I have a lot of pain in my heels and in my feet generally. My shoes are Stiga Royal ERS and they are pretty good. These are OK I also have some Joola cheapo knockoffs from some Chinese website. They aren't so good.

If you are a young pro player with the lightest, state of the art shoes -- keep in mind those shoes probably won't work for me unless the cushioning in heel is extraordinary.

Looking at Joola Protect series or BTY Energy Series.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
Sponsored Links

Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2008 at 3:57pm
I would go with the Bty Energy series (if those are the ones with Asics Gel cushioning). Asics gel is by far my favorite type of cushioning..
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2008 at 5:26pm
OK, they are on the list.
The reason I am looking at the Joola shoes is as follows;

Guy at my club wears them, and he is over weight, but has a heavy muscular frame to begin with. I think he was into weight lifting or something. So as I am watching him play, I look at his shoes and there are flexing under that weight and it looks like a pillow of air or something.

I may end up trying both, but if there are any suggestions, please add them here.
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2008 at 6:24pm

Well, he is probably something like me then.. I did a lot of weight lifting a couple of years ago, and I have gained like 20 kgs since that.. I use the Joola.. something (jump?) it has a thin sole, and my feet hurt if I play longer than a couple of hours.. I have bought Asics running shoes (I had Adidas previously) and I'm now considering to buy the Bty Energy if I get them cheap.. (our club is soon to be sponsored by bty)

Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2008 at 9:26pm
go get your self a pair of dr scholls atheletic sports iserts for your shoes also you need tyo massage your underfoot with a golf ball just roll your feet over it and stretch the achilles tendon i had the same problem before from a shoe with no support and concrete floor.now dont have that prob anymore 
TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 12:46am
You might want to get some orthotics.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 12:47am
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

I have a lot of pain in my heels and in my feet generally. My shoes are Stiga Royal ERS and they are pretty good. These are OKI also have some Joola cheapo knockoffs from some Chinese website. They aren't so good.

If you are a young pro player with the lightest, state of the art shoes -- keep in mind those shoes probably won't work for me unless the cushioning in heel is extraordinary.

I have a few questions for you.  Is the pain in your heel worse in the morning then gets slightly better as you walk?  If you press your thumb into the inside of your heel bone does it cause pain.  It sounds like you may have plantar fasciitis.  Most shoes will not help unless they have a very high arch.  What you need is to see a podiatrist so that they can make some inserts for you.  These molded inserts will pretty much cure your pain.  They run around $150-350. 
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
t3h anarchist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3h anarchist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2008 at 12:49am
try some waldner flex from donic, i use them and even though i despise donic i actually like them
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2008 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by THEMANFZ1 THEMANFZ1 wrote:

Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

I have a lot of pain in my heels and in my feet generally. My shoes are Stiga Royal ERS and they are pretty good. These are OKI also have some Joola cheapo knockoffs from some Chinese website. They aren't so good.

I have a few questions for you.  Is the pain in your heel worse in the morning then gets slightly better as you walk?  If you press your thumb into the inside of your heel bone does it cause pain.  It sounds like you may have plantar fasciitis.  Most shoes will not help unless they have a very high arch.  What you need is to see a podiatrist so that they can make some inserts for you.  These molded inserts will pretty much cure your pain.  They run around $150-350. 

Sorry, I was off this thread for a while... not I am going to buy some shoes in the next few weeks because the Stiga ERS shoes are giving up the ghost... I will never buy those again!

I am leaning to the Joola shoes because they are cheap. I will try the inserts if the shoes insoles are not supportive.

I had PF about two years ago and I think it is coming back. Need to shead some weight and get some good shoes and stretch every day!
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2008 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by t3h anarchist t3h anarchist wrote:

try some waldner flex from donic, i use them and even though i despise donic i actually like them

Noooooo! I have this shoes and just thinking again about them gives me pain.

In general table tennis shoes don't have enough padding.

Get badminton or volleyball shoes instead. I got Mizuno Lightning Wave 4, they're good!!
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 12:01am
Try one of these

http://www.shopadidas.ca/cat_Mens_Mens-Footwear_By-Sport_Indoor_1281.html

Myself i made an investment in some Birkenstock inserts, they have helped easy a lot of pain that i suspect we share. I'm looking into getting those shoes above, right now i wear low cut converse with the Birkenstock insoles.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 12:16am
Well, unfortunately, I am on a self imposed budget, so I went to joolausa.com and just now bought the Protect shoes, not the new ones, but the old ones.

This is why: I play with a very small group of guys, all of them (most of the time) are older and better than I am. But I have beaten two of the players in my club somewhat consistently in the last few months because my game is getting better.  But by the end of the night's practice my feet are killing me.
I'm the youngest but I look like the oldest because of my feet.

A guy in the club who is heavier than me, plays with these shoes. Watching him play, I could SEE the shoes flexing and springing in the heel. It was like a cushion or something. So I am going with these, just ordered them for $35 plus $6 shipping. I don't care if it takes a while to get here because I am not playing TT for the next six weeks.

I like the new Adidas at Ttpioneers but they are $149 -- that would break the budget.

THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 1:46am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Get badminton or volleyball shoes instead. I got Mizuno Lightning Wave 4, they're good!!

Your weight really doesn't have much to do with it, its a hereditary condition.  Otherwise every fat person would have plantar fasciitis.  Just get a shoe that feels good and GET THE INSERTS.  The stretching exercises do not  work nor does rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle.  The inserts will take your pain away the moment you put them on.  Then after a short time(1-2mos) the pain will be gone.  Don't get drawn in by the gimics like the bone store and the like.  They make generic inserts for generic feet.  You do not have generic feet you like everyone else , have  unique feet therefore you need unique custom fitted inserts.  Good luck.
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 4:22am

Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Your weight really doesn't have much to do with it, its a hereditary condition.� Otherwise every fat person would have plantar fasciitis.� Just get a shoe that feels good and GET THE INSERTS.� The stretching exercises do not� work nor does rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle.� The inserts will take your pain away the moment you put them on.� Then after a short time(1-2mos) the pain will be gone.� Don't get drawn in by the gimics like the bone store and the like.� They make generic inserts for generic feet.� You do not have generic feet you like everyone else , have� unique feet therefore you need unique custom fitted inserts.� Good luck.

huh?????
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 1:43pm
you might look at getting some thick cushion sole sports or better still (expensive)runners socks,made a world of difference for me
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 1:57pm

Your weight really doesn't have much to do with it, its a hereditary condition.  Otherwise every fat person would have plantar fasciitis.  Just get a shoe that feels good and GET THE INSERTS.  The stretching exercises do not  work nor does rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle.  The inserts will take your pain away the moment you put them on.  Then after a short time(1-2mos) the pain will be gone.  Don't get drawn in by the gimics like the bone store and the like.  They make generic inserts for generic feet.  You do not have generic feet you like everyone else , have  unique feet therefore you need unique custom fitted inserts.  Good luck.

Yeah, maybe, but extra weight can't be helping the situation. We'll have to disagree about stretching though. I have had plantar fasciitis. When I lost the weight and started stretching and excercising, the pain started subsiding. The stretching I am referring to is a hamstring and calf type of stretch. I am pretty sure there is evidence that stretching is a viable part of the treatment for PF. Otherwise night splints would not be an option for folks who have it seriously. Anyway, I agree with you on having the proper shoes and or inserts. That helped the most. I did not get orthotics, but I did wear Brooks Beast almost exclusively, and that is when the pain went away (along with a fair amount of exercise and stretching), I also got some generic half inserts and those worked on other shoes. (My Dad had it too and he suggested this) I also iced my feet at night, but this was just a symptom treatment, not a cure. So we agree on a lot of points. But I think finding a long term cure is a holistic approach towards foot health and overall health, not just any one thing.

Looking forward to the Joola shoes, I will most likely get some inserts in there if the fit isn't right. i will let you guys know how they end up working out.
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by firetack firetack wrote:

you might look at getting some thick cushion sole sports or better still (expensive)runners socks,made a world of difference for me

Yep, thorlos work the best for me.
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 12:49am
Mizuno Wave Medal

I'm 6' 210 pounds and these shoes are so comfortable. I play a heavy forehand oriented game with a big forehand swing so I use a lot of power from my legs. I used to wear BFY Radial SK, but those wore out and my feet hurt after I play. The Mizunos are a godsend and they are so comfortable and allow me to utilize all my body weight and throw into the ball. =]
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 12:55am
Mizuno Wave Medal

I'm 6' 210 pounds and these shoes are so comfortable. I play a heavy forehand oriented game with a big forehand swing so I use a lot of power from my legs. I used to wear BFY Radial SK, but those wore out and my feet hurt after I play. The Mizunos are a godsend and they are so comfortable and allow me to utilize all my body weight and throw into the ball. =]
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 6:38am
I think I have the wrong end of the stick here, after reading the title I though you were looking for shoes to GIVE you painful feet.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 11:30am
I had plantar facits real bad for the longest. Nothing really worked until I got molded plastic boot inserts. Condition was 99% gone after 2 weeks. Never had a problem since. It was simply painful every morning and a bit throughout the day. Those inserts are a value at even $1000. I can now play TT without inserts and just wear my inserts during work. Your feet and mind will thank you if you have plantar facitis and get the inserts.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 3:42pm
Thanks JKC, I'll correct my title.LOLLOLLOL
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

I had plantar facits real bad for the longest. Nothing really worked until I got molded plastic boot inserts. Condition was 99% gone after 2 weeks. Never had a problem since. It was simply painful every morning and a bit throughout the day. Those inserts are a value at even $1000. I can now play TT without inserts and just wear my inserts during work. Your feet and mind will thank you if you have plantar facitis and get the inserts.

I will consider those if the pain doesn't go away, I believe that I can do a lot by stretching and by losing a few pounds. If that does not help, at least I will be in shape and flexible. The PF went away for the longest time and didn't really come back until I started playing TT. (But at same time, my overall activity level went way down and that included stretching and also I was wearing dress shoes to work everyday without inserts.)
colinh810 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinh810 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 6:26pm
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Thats what I'm saying.  Although the stretching and ball/bottle rolling may help, it will take much too long to work if at all to relive the pain. Whereas the inserts get rid of the pain immediately.  I am speaking from knowledge and 1st hand experience on this one.  I too had the same argument with my podiatrist that Dauntless is posing, I kept insisting on what I had read, 'stretching, exercise and rolling foot over a ball or frozen water bottle was the thing to do.  My podiatrist told me about a study he did years ago whereby they had a group do the exercise and stretching and other group simply use orthotics.  Not only did the orthodic group gain relief right away, they were less symptomatic after using them for 1 mo.  Its funny to me how much people fight the orthotics but I was one of them in the beginning for a bit so I really can't get upset with people when I tell them about the orthotics and they fight me on the idea.  I just wait for them to come around or stay in pain.  The choice is theirs.
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

I think I have the wrong end of the stick here, after reading the title I though you were looking for shoes to GIVE you painful feet.

I would like to nominate this for an MTTNEA (mytabletennis.net Excellence {in posting} Award).
Work like this must...NAY will eternally be recognised.

BRAVO BRAVO to the King!
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic