FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What kind of rubbers on HARD wood blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of rubbers on HARD wood blade
    Posted: 09/23/2008 at 2:07pm
What kind of rubbers, goes better on hard wood blade. Blade is very stiff, no vibrations. What kind of rubbers you think will go better. Thinner or Thicker ?
What kind of short pips you will put, thinner or thicker. What kind of inverted rubbers, thinner or thicker ? Well you get idea where I am getting with this.

My opinion since I am allround player without any power shots but very precise placement, I was thinking for thinner sponges up to 1.5mm to keep control up. This is my opinion.
Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/23/2008 at 2:29pm
SP!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 7:27am
OX?
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
Glueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 10:12am
Generally softer rubber matches up best with harder blades and harder rubber with softer blades.

The thickness is what determines control generally. The thinner the rubber, the more control you will have. It sounds like you are most concerned with control and placement so a thinner rubber (less than 2.0) will probably serve best.

However, thin soft rubber on a hard blade can actually cause you to lose control if the ball simply goes through the soft rubber and sponge and catapults directly off the fast blade.

Good luck!
American Hinoki 9 mm Bald Cypress single-ply
Venus 2.2
Neptune 0.6
Windshield Wiper Grip (Don�t you wish YOU had a 3-sided blade?)
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Glueless Glueless wrote:

Generally softer rubber matches up best with harder blades and harder rubber with softer blades.

The thickness is what determines control generally. The thinner the rubber, the more control you will have. It sounds like you are most concerned with control and placement so a thinner rubber (less than 2.0) will probably serve best.

However, thin soft rubber on a hard blade can actually cause you to lose control if the ball simply goes through the soft rubber and sponge and catapults directly off the fast blade.

Good luck!
Nice, thanks for input. Well that is my little concerne if I put thinner rubbers 1.0mm - 1.5mm will I lose that control by speed of blade. I know this that I will but wanted to see if other people have different solutions. Maybe 1.8mm will be perfect !!! Thoughts ???
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 10:59am
depends on your still. I would put some medium soft grippy rubbers on it.
Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:06am
Sriver L 1.5 would give you the control you need, and also the placement. A similar rubber would be good. Idea is to have a very solid bat that can do good placement with good control. Down side is that its hard to loop with this combination. From your introduction, doubt you do it anyway, so i suggest this.

I personally don't subscribe to the view that hard blades must match with soft rubbers most of the time.. especially in this situation.
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:07am
I think solcion 2.1 would be a good match.  Soft with lots of control and speed when you want it.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Glenn Glenn wrote:

Sriver L 1.5 would give you the control you need, and also the placement. A similar rubber would be good. Idea is to have a very solid bat that can do good placement with good control. Down side is that its hard to loop with this combination. From your introduction, doubt you do it anyway, so i suggest this.

I personally don't subscribe to the view that hard blades must match with soft rubbers most of the time.. especially in this situation.

no but like you said looping with thicker and softer rubber is much easier.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Jeff[ATTC Jeff[ATTC wrote:

] I think solcion 2.1 would be a good match.  Soft with lots of control and speed when you want it.

I agree solcion is great for hard and fast blades. But for a classic allround player I wouldn't recommend it.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:12am
I have more often than not felt better with hard blades and hard rubbers since I am more of a flat hitter than a looper. When I do loop its with more of a forward action and less of an upward arm movement than traditional Euro looping.

Also, I block close to the table, I counter-drive off the bounce a lot and I find harder rubbers with a lower throw are better for this. Harder blades also keep the throw low and the lack of the flex, ensures that my push-blocks stay on the table.

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

And if you read carefully, i have already said that i doubt melarisma does it from his introduction.

Actually, brush looping would still work OK, but the mechanical loop would suffer.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:15am

And if you read carefully, i have already said that i doubt melarisma does it from his introduction.

Actually, brush looping would still work OK, but the mechanical loop would suffer.

I read carefully most of the time softer rubbers DO WORK but maybe not in this situation.
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:18am

Thanks everybody... I actually brush loop on backhand (80%) and smash (20%). Forehand is short or medium pips (50% loops and 50% smash) ...
Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:20am
No, you misunderstood me. I meant that while most people suggest softer rubber, i personally don't. I didn't mean that softer rubbers won't work, do not work, or whatever.

I have never said that softer rubbers is useless, just that i thought it is not as good. Its entirely my opinion, and my opinion only.

(:
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 11:23am
Thats what I thought you had said Glenn, and I for one agree that they do work, but personally, I prefer harder sponges, 38 degrees and 40 degrees are best for me.

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 1:21pm
I believe, medium hardness (38* - 42*) will suit best for hard or carbon hard blades. Allrounder playes like me will use best 1.8mm rubber. Attackers 2.0mm. Defenders maybe 1.2mm or so. This is only my opinion !!!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 2:11pm
You are right on the money Mel, and I think you could even get away with 2mm, as an allround player. It will loop slightly better than the 1.8, but will still be controllable. I find it to be the best thickness for myself, as it allows close to the table control, and decent power for mid-distance attacking.

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 5:24pm
Well soon I will be getting some brand new tensor rubbers from Reactor, and they are 39* degree hardness. So I think it will be perfect match. I am looking forward this, but now question stay what thickness to go with short or medium pips ???
Master_of_loops View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2008 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

I believe, medium hardness (38* - 42*) will suit best for hard or carbon hard blades. Allrounder playes like me will use best 1.8mm rubber. Attackers 2.0mm. Defenders maybe 1.2mm or so. This is only my opinion !!!

+1
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 8:14pm
hard blade hard rubber
soft = soft
match the feel
Ive tried all the other variants.
hard doesnt mean fast
soft doent mean slow
its just a matter of matching throw angles and maintaining a gradual change - if you have your bat closed in a loop using soft rubbers and the next micro millimetre is rock solid carbon - that instant will change the direction of the ball extremely with out any gray.  pure black and white. into the net or off the table.  if it is gradual you feel it.  Or hard rubbers already have a sense of that since the hardnes brings them closer to the hardness of any blade
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 5:11pm
What would you choose for pips out ... Same medium sponge or maybe softer. Same HARD blade ???
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

This is how my playing racket is set up, i consider my style allround. I also have a carbon blade with Sriver L 2mm which i find slower than my pips out setup but with more control.

I also use to play with a 5ply with 729 2mm which was imo really fast but control was hard for me) at the time using Chinese rubber/sponge combo. I still have it and it's still fast lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic