tabletennis11.com

Sealing Hinoki Wood?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 12:03am
I'm one with Varathane.
I use water-based, satin, can . . . not spray.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 7:32am
Am i right to say that all butterfly blades come sealed? Maze.. TBS.. Korbel, everything?
Valentine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 10:23am
Nowadays, most blades don't need to be sealed. Hinoki never needs to be sealed, and most high end blades come with a very smooth finish. I would only seal very lightly with hairspray some Stiga and Yasaka blades, which can sometimes splinter a little. Now with the glue ban theres ever less reasons to seal. I dont like the feel of varnished blades, I have two Yasaka Extra, one varnished and the other not, and i feel a big difference, more solid feel and more spin with the unsealed one. Might be my imagination, though Tongue.
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 2:10pm
My 7p2a-7t came already sealed from Darker.
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Valentine Valentine wrote:

Nowadays, most blades don't need to be sealed. Hinoki never needs to be sealed, and most high end blades come with a very smooth finish. I would only seal very lightly with hairspray some Stiga and Yasaka blades, which can sometimes splinter a little. Now with the glue ban theres ever less reasons to seal. I dont like the feel of varnished blades, I have two Yasaka Extra, one varnished and the other not, and i feel a big difference, more solid feel and more spin with the unsealed one. Might be my imagination, though Tongue.

You are right. Sealed blade could lost the its feeling specially for the all wood blade.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Valentine Valentine wrote:

I wouldn't say that Hinoki doesn't need to be sealed. It can splinter especially if it's slightly damaged from hits on the table. So it is still a good idea to seal - albeit lightly.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 5:41pm
Since the glue ban, there is MORE reason to seal as many of the new glues are WATER based and WILL affect the wood. Water based glues can be washed off with a wet rag if the blade is sealed. Single ply hinoki can warp if washed with water and not sealed.

Unless you sealed one of the two blades AFTER trying both to compare, you still don't know if one was different BEFORE you sealed it.
Glue sheets can pull fibers off a hinoki.
Glue sheets can pull chunks off some Stiga blades.
I have sealed dozens of blades. Always done is pairs. Compare two blades. Seal one, compare again, then seal the other. You cannot feel ONE coat of poly on a blade that is faster than OFF-. You "might" on an ALL or slower.
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 6:05pm
I have had blades that have been sealed with polyurethane, sparurethane, shellac, sanding sealer and Tommy Zai's famous Varathane.  I have always promoted the use of sanding sealer for sealing blades as it provides great protection and dries the softest of the aformentioned, which I think helps to maintain the original feeling and characteristics of the blade.  I also agree that it is very hard to tell the difference of sealed and not sealed unless you add 1/8" coat.  If you use just enough to bind the fibers of the top ply you can use any of the above plus some others with good results.  Moderation is the key here.  I would also say that Hinoki does need sealing in my experiences, and would not hesitate to seal any blade.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Single ply hinoki can warp if washed with water and not sealed.

Please do not wash the single ply hinoki; just like a cat, it does not like water Cry
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 9:25pm
Hi aeoliah,
     It will laugh at water if sealed properly with Poly-U.  Smile
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 9:35pm
advantages of not sealing:

1. no effort
2. if your blade splinters or warps, you have an excuse to buy another blade

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 9:36pm
OK, I will state this for the record:

I believe EVERY blade MUST be sealed. The only question is with what and how much, which would be determined by the hardness of the top ply. For example, a Clipper will need much more than a Hinoki 1-ply; however, the 1-ply, 3 ply, 5 ply, 7 ply, 9 ply, and anything else needs some sealant.

This statement is even more true now that most players will be using a water-based glue. Try soaking your unsealed blade and see what happens. Let me save you the time and money . . . IT WILL BE RUINED!!!

I've heard too much nonsense about losing the feel of the blade by sealing. Perhaps this is true if you put 10mm thick of Poly to make it like a coffee table, but if you seal just enough to fill in the top ply grains the 1% reduction in "feel" is easily offset by the 100% protection of your blade. If you are careful and do a nice job sealing you will NOT regret it! I know players who are even more hardcore on this issue than me, claiming that even if you use 20 coats there won't be much difference. I guess you can call me a conservative in this respect. Having said that, what do we call those who refuse to seal? I can identify two names for such an individual:

1. SPONSORED (They just get a new one FREE)
2. KNUCKLEHEAD

In conclusion, seal Hinoki . . . at least a little!

Bring on the weak arguments.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 10:00pm
3. A RICH EJ IN NEED OF VALID REASON TO BUY BUY BUYEmbarrassed

I used to believe hinoki does not need sealing until I peel off the first rubber attached with water based glue. The blade splinter plus how to wipe off those old glue without water soaking into the blade? So I now say, seal at least 2 layers if not 3! Yes, people would attest that the sealing changes the effect of the hinoki blade. I can tell you it does not affect my game at all. I am still losing most of my games badlyEmbarrassedTongueLOL

Cheers.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 10:05pm
I change rubbers once per season, i don't believe in sealing. If i competed weekly including daily practices...i might consider it :)
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 10:35pm

Hi aeoliah,
     It will laugh at water if sealed properly with Poly-U.  Smile

Hey Hookshot what are your thoughts on spar varnish?  I recently made a couple of skateboards and thats what I used.  It was the first time I had used the spar varnish and I have to say I really like it.  Leaves the surface like glass!  I know Tommy you like satin but man the shine makes me smileSmile.  I know that the spar varnish is harder than poly but on the other hand it coats a lot better.  One coat should be more than enough.  What say you?
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 10:46pm
Hi THEMANFZ1,
     Actually, Tommy likes the satin, I like the clear. I like the shine also.
     One coat should protect fully from moisture.
     I will look in the woodworkers literature tonight and see what they say about Spar varnish compared to Poly.  Smile
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 11:08pm

Hi THEMANFZ1,
     Actually, Tommy likes the satin, I like the clear. I like the shine also.
     One coat should protect fully from moisture.
     I will look in the woodworkers literature tonight and see what they say about Spar varnish compared to Poly.  Smile

If you like the shine well there is nothing better except possibly a lacquer finish
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 12:23am
Per the American Woodworkers Asso.
     Linseed oil.
          Poor scratch resistance.

Spar varnish, tung oil.
          Softer than other varnishes. Used on boats but not on decks or below water line. Spar varnish usually gives a red tint to wood.

Gloss, satin and matte finishes all dry to the same durability.

Poly is more resistant to heat, solvents and chipping than shellac or lacquer.

Poly IS a VARNISH. Some people keep saying varnish is better than poly.  Wrong.

Water based is almost as good as mineral based poly. Water based poly WILL raise the grain in some woods. Mineral based will not.

Interior Poly.
          Least expensive poly. Durable. Good scratch resistance.

Exterior Poly.
          Has UV blockers. Very durable. Protects from sunlight. Used where there is high wear.

One coat of Poly dries to a thickness of .0015"Smile
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 12:46am
I wonder if those pros also seal their blade?
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 12:58am
I am curious also. I also wonder if they will start with the advent of water based glues.Smile
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 1:36am
The advantages of sealing:

- you can wash your blade in the dishwasher
- you can soak your blade overnight with your dentures
- you can play in the underwater table tennis events
- what else? i'm missing something here .. :)
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 1:37am
Originally posted by charlesj charlesj wrote:

I wonder if those pros also seal their blade?
Why do they need to seal blade? They get sponsor, so they just need to change the new blade if the old one is damaged.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 2:03am
The pros do change rubbers often but some of them grow fond of a certain blade. Even though you buy another of the same, there can still be differences. The pros can detect smaller differences than most of us.Smile
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2008 at 9:26pm

The pros do change rubbers often but some of them grow fond of a certain blade. Even though you buy another of the same, there can still be differences. The pros can detect smaller differences than most of us.Smile

Thats so true. Once someone posted a picture of Chiang peng lung(sp??),'s blade, u could jsut tell he had been using it for years.
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic