Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sealing Hinoki Wood?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
seoulkorean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seoulkorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sealing Hinoki Wood?
    Posted: 09/28/2008 at 8:33pm
Hi guys,
   New to this forum, but it contains a wealth of information as I've found a lot of answers to my questions(Thanks).

Anyways to get to the point, I just received a Xiom Athena Platinum RSM Special(J-pen) as a gift and I was wondering if I should seal this blade? 

I wasn't sure because I just read some information saying that Hinoki wood doesn't need to be sealed.

If anyone has sealed this blade or knows about sealing it, I would appreciate the information. 

FYI, I do plan on changing rubbers every 2-3 months, so not sure if it makes a difference.

Thanks.
My Feedback

Primary: Stiga Hybrid Wood NCT with Boost TP/TC

Backup: RSM PLatinum with TSP Triple Spin
Sponsored Links

hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 8:39pm
i seal my hinoki.  i use a very light layer.  eventhough the wood grains are very tight - i wanted to make sure i didn't splinter the wood when removing the rubbers (bty, i change my rubbers every 3 months or so).  i use a poly sealant, but be careful, hinoki is very absorbant. 
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 8:42pm
Seal EVERY blade!
Hinoki often needs less, but the first coat usually soaks in unevenly and requires a few more light coats smooth coverage.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 8:45pm
If you are planing to use strong glue, then lightly sealing it should prevent the splinter.  Hinoki does splinter especially if it's made from younger or softer wood.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
rpbnakata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpbnakata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 8:48pm
Of course hinoki single ply needs to be sealed. I do it with Joola varnish, IMO the best available in the market. Then I use a #150 sandpaper to remove excess and repeat the process.
Phenom st/BW3/Ω3Euro ● Photino st/Ω4Pro/R7S ● Speed 90 fl/Vega Euro/S3
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 9:16pm
I have never sealed any of my 1 ply hinokis, never splintered any piece of wood while removing rubbers....but I see it might be a good practice to lightly seal them listening to other hinoki users here..Smile
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
T h e N A M View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 9:18pm
i never sealed my 1ply hinoki...
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 9:23pm
I seal all my blades, including 4 single ply hinoki. I use Minwax Polyurethane spray. I sprayed evenly until the surface is wet, hold it in horizontal position, let it be for about 30 to 60 seconds, wipe it dry and that's it.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 9:26pm
I seal everything also. With glue sheets, it is best to seal no matter what. One coat of Poly will not hurt. Also, if you use some of the new water based glues, you will be able to use a wet cloth to clean the blade. The blade will be water proof.Smile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 9:47pm
If you use a water-based glue you MUST seal the blade . . . any blade . . . every blade, or you will get water damage!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 10:20pm
SEAL IT!  Regardless of what type of glue you are using.  Sealing of the wood will not only make clean up after removing rubbers easier it will also protect the wood from ambient moisture that will cause the wood to swell and move.  Multiple ply blades are not quite as susceptible due to the laminating effect of the the ply's however a single ply blade will eventually warp if left natural, unless it is kept in a climate controlled area that is of the same humidity and temperature all the time.  As a rule wood workers will leave newly purchased wood in the shop for up to two weeks to allow it to acclimate before making anything out of it for this simple reason.  Hope this helps.
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 10:24pm
Gunstock wood is air dried for a minimum of 5 years to let it stabilize and moisture content to drop. (for high end custom stocks.)
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 1:23am
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Gunstock wood is air dried for a minimum of 5 years to let it stabilize and moisture content to drop. (for high end custom stocks.)

And even with 5 years of stabilizing they still free float the barrel so that it doesn't put pressure on the barrel as it swells and moves.
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 1:41am
Hey,,,THEMANFZ1,,,
     You know your stuff!!!  I built customs for many years! High end. $600 dollar hand checkering, inlays and everything.  Smile
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 2:05am
hey,don't seal.wait!you should buy a product made by ZINSSER.It is called "Bulls Eye Shellac".It is alchohol -based laquer.Any time you can reapply it,as it comes off .You can copmletely remove with a damp pice of cloth.
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 2:21am

Hey,,,THEMANFZ1,,,
     You know your stuff!!!  I built customs for many years! High end. $600 dollar hand checkering, inlays and everything.  Smile

Yeah I have a plethora of knowledge rolling around in my melon.  Wow!  Now you tell me you were a gun stock magician.  I would have loved to trade an "Ultimate Press" for a custom thumb hole, palm swell, vented, raised cheek, free floating stock, in desert camo color, for my Rem 700 Bull barrel .223.   Ok so.. maybe more than one Press for the stock. haha,  You wouldn't happen to have some returns laying around would ya?Wink
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 2:27am
Got a 22/250 bull barrel that shoots one hole groups with a 24 power target scope. Going to sell it for more $$$ for China. Still have 11 pieces of presentation grade wood left after closing the business 15 years ago. Only build for my son and I now. Been offered $1500 for one piece of Claro.Smile
THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 2:35am
22/250 huh?  nice,  we will have to talk.  It will probably be a long conversation considering my favorite subjects guns, woodworking, shooting, learning.  Enough of hijacking this thread.  Pm me the info on the 22/250.  I'm not really in the market but what the wife doesn't know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seoulkorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 4:42pm
Thanks guys for all the information :)  I'm going to end up sealing the blade as a precaution.  
My Feedback

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seoulkorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 4:46pm
Thanks guys for all the information :)  I'm going to end up sealing the blade as a precaution.  One more quick question for you guys though.  Is sealing the blade ITTF legal?  Thanks.
My Feedback

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 8:55pm
As long as the wood grain is visible it is legal I think.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 9:27pm
Ok i just finished my first sealing job, applied thin layers of coat to both of my kokutaku blades(both are new, never used). Wil try out the 10mm on thursday probably. Tongue
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
fattchoi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattchoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 9:36pm
BOTH?!!!. You bought 2 Kokutaku? Well doneApprove I am sure you will enjoy the feel of this blade. It is fast and powerfulSmile

Cheers.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by everest81 everest81 wrote:

Ok i just finished my first sealing job, applied thin layers of coat to both of my kokutaku blades(both are new, never used). Wil try out the 10mm on thursday probably. Tongue

What did you use?
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by aeoliah aeoliah wrote:

As long as the wood grain is visible it is legal I think.

exactly! that's why Kreanga (Tamca) Carbon with this stupid gray metallic paintjob was illegal!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by fattchoi fattchoi wrote:

BOTH?!!!. You bought 2 Kokutaku? Well doneApprove I am sure you will enjoy the feel of this blade. It is fast and powerfulSmile

Cheers.

No I had one about 4/5 months ago, the 9mm one, I never used it just kept it new.
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by GenomicsKnight GenomicsKnight wrote:

Originally posted by everest81 everest81 wrote:

What did you use?

Minwax Fast dry polyrurethane, got this at Lowe's Store.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 11:32pm
I see.  Good man, good choice.
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2008 at 11:43pm
Good choice. I use Minwax Fast dry also. Good stuff. The National Woodworkers Magazine did tests on all finishes and Poly is the toughest. Water based Poly is second but I can't tell the difference. I have not had ANY glue or cleaner affect the Poly.Smile
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2008 at 12:02am

Good choice. I use Minwax Fast dry also. Good stuff. The National Woodworkers Magazine did tests on all finishes and Poly is the toughest. Water based Poly is second but I can't tell the difference. I have not had ANY glue or cleaner affect the Poly.Smile

Well that makes me happy, Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic