Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you work on your mental toughness?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you work on your mental toughness?
    Posted: 10/03/2008 at 12:28am
other than bang your head against a wall? :)
Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 12:36am
Play one point at a time, and learn to ignore the score . . . whether winning or losing.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 1:26am
make a mental checklist of things to do between points? 

Try to identify styles and make notes about how you want to try to play each type of player.  Remaim calm and notice when your oponent isn't.  When he's getting mad, get out of the way and let him beat himself.  If he's winning, find some type of distraction or anything to frustrate him.

Scout out future opponents and make notes of hsi weaknesses. The main thing wiht mental toughness is always about making a game plan and executing that game plan.  If it doesn't work, you may have to come up with a plan b.

The definition of non-mental toughness is just going into each point to win, with no real strategy of how to win.

Mental toughness is dependent on physical toughness.  IF you're not getting enough oxygen, you're not thinking clearly.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 1:33am
I just feel happy all the time and every ball i miss i think is a nice shot and every ball i get i think is a nice shot...

Eventually i find im doing quite well because i dont care if i miss and go for the attack, but still using proper technique and usually getting on from my confidence.

Its wierd but it seems to work for me.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 1:46am
I play like that too, with "care factor zero", it's the best way, in table tennis thinking mostly gets in the way of winning. I try not to take notice of anything the other guy is doing or who he is and just play my game. Sometimes I'll look at a guy playing after 3 years of playing him and think, far out that guys a left hander.... never noticed that before

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 3:23am
tommy is right, one point at a time....
and TAKE YOU SWEET ASS TIME!! like maze,

and...walter li....a leftie in NSW Australia who takes soooo mcuh time off his tomahawk serve
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 4:44am
Use good music before game. Concentrate hard in the game. Use Visualisation...

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 6:46am
"if it bleeds...kill it."
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 1:19pm
By having a rock solid serving game. Your opponent will wilt under the pressure when he can't get a look at your serve points.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 2:46pm
Mental toughness is based on your own Self-confidence - trust your own training and strokes - a miss could just be a one-time mistake, it's not a reflection of your overall play level.
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by sunilid sunilid wrote:

Mental toughness is based on your own Self-confidence - trust your own training and strokes - a miss could just be a one-time mistake, it's not a reflection of your overall play level.
Very well said !Clap
bowebj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowebj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 6:28pm
bout time someone hit the jackpot. thanks sunlid. everyone is also correct, ex. having a solid game or juss having fun. with all these factors combined youll become a well rounded player... for people like me to smash! muhaha
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2008 at 6:51pm
Hows this for a definition of mental toughness:  Not letting circumstances affect your play negatively, but rather to play your best regardless of any situation "off the table" so to speak.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic