Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP - Characteristics of Balsa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP - Characteristics of Balsa
    Posted: 10/15/2008 at 8:07pm
Hi guys,

I stumbled upon Donic Opticon in a TT store (no intention of buying any blade, just looking around) and surprisely amazed by the unique feel of the blade when bouncing ball on it.  Later I realized that it has balsa in it.  Never try balsa before so I am not sure.  Can anybody tell me the general characteristics of Balsa?  I know it's light and soft physically, but how do they behave during play?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 8:35pm
Boing, boing, boing........... bouncy and fast.  Usually found in the core of the OFF and OFF+ rockets like Primorac Carbon, Boll Tricarbon, Juic Air Carbon series, and faster all wood blades types.  Lightweight and soft but stiff.  You normally won't find balsa in classic OFF- looping blades or allrounds.  Normally if you want to loop with a balsa blade you need to have a soft and preferably thicker outer ply.  This is just my opinion and what I've noticed during my EJ tenure.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2008 at 9:05pm
Thanks for the input Pongcrazy.  I now wonder why Donic has it on Opticon because it is an all+/off- blade.  So, dwell time is not that good, right?  How about the TSP lines with Balsa + Glass Fibers?  Do they form a synergy there?
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2008 at 9:42pm
The TSP with glass get plenty enough dwell for loops but you can't feel it as they are a stiff vibration free blade, they have an extremly thin top layer of limber the "fitter" handles are the top heavy looping specials and have exactly zero vibration or feel (I like that). All balsa have a huge amount of "spring" springy spongy I think it's great to help launch balls off very tacky topsheets. Also anything with a thickish balsa core and normal thickness limba will be a pretty good blade, can't go wrong from a good brand really

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2008 at 10:06pm
If you're looking for Balsa, try Yasaka's Balsa Plus (+)
729cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 7:58am
Balsa is very unique wood, you have to try it! It provides soft feel & less vibrations but it depends on thickness of core. But don't go in more than 4-5mm core if you want to loop with lots of spin.  the thicker core is, the softer or thinnier rubber should you use. I don't recommend max or >2.1 sponge, typical chinese rubber doesn't suit balsa blades at all. Speed: passive shots, block, pushes feels like All or All+, if you put more power in shot - smash or topspin it's like from Off+ rocket launcher. I think there are only 2 kinds of people:  who absolutely love it or absolutely hate it.
I've played with Andro Blax off(6mm core), Dr. Neubauer Bulldozer(8mm core) and Dr. Neubauer/Re-impact Combination effect(10mm double core).
Avalox p500
fh 729-08
bh DHS G555

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 9:18am
Originally posted by 729cent 729cent wrote:

Balsa is very unique wood, you have to try it! It provides soft feel & less vibrations but it depends on thickness of core. But don't go in more than 4-5mm core if you want to loop with lots of spin.  the thicker core is, the softer or thinnier rubber should you use. I don't recommend max or >2.1 sponge, typical chinese rubber doesn't suit balsa blades at all. Speed: passive shots, block, pushes feels like All or All+, if you put more power in shot - smash or topspin it's like from Off+ rocket launcher. I think there are only 2 kinds of people:  who absolutely love it or absolutely hate it.
I've played with Andro Blax off(6mm core), Dr. Neubauer Bulldozer(8mm core) and Dr. Neubauer/Re-impact Combination effect(10mm double core).

Is Dr.Neubauer Bulldozer made of balsa?

I have used the Combination Effect - very good blade.
Braveheart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Braveheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 9:49am
I got my BTY X5 with carbo-balsa. Good feeling and fantastic block !
Blade - Butterly X5 balsa carbo Off;
Front -Donic JO Platin soft 2mm
Back hand - BUTTERFLY Challenger 1.5 mm (short pips)
Style - Close table attack
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 10:02am
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Hi guys,

I stumbled upon Donic Opticon in a TT store (no intention of buying any blade, just looking around) and surprisely amazed by the unique feel of the blade when bouncing ball on it.  Later I realized that it has balsa in it.  Never try balsa before so I am not sure.  Can anybody tell me the general characteristics of Balsa?  I know it's light and soft physically, but how do they behave during play?

Thanks.

The general characteristics are (1) light weight (2) rebound speed as hinoki (3) sharp hit feel (4) excellent control (5) power (6) Soft

Unless it is a thick ply of at least 7 to 8 mm, carbon or fiber needed to build strength to the wood. The TSP Balsa Fiber has fiber as well as vertically cut balsa.

Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 4:11pm

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Very Light material, very stiff and huge dwell time

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2008 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Ginko Tai Kim Ginko Tai Kim wrote:

Very Light material, very stiff and huge dwell time

The dwell time is less for combi balsa blades. That can be compensated by using softer rubbers.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 4:02am
Thanks to all of you that had commented on this.

However, I am more confused now, because when someone said stiff, good rebound speed, it can't have good dwell time.  The logic is when the ball bounces back quickly, it does not have good dwell time.

So, does Balsa have good dwell time or not?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 4:33am
I reckon it has good dwell

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 4:59am

Thanks to all of you that had commented on this.

However, I am more confused now, because when someone said stiff, good rebound speed, it can't have good dwell time.  The logic is when the ball bounces back quickly, it does not have good dwell time.

So, does Balsa have good dwell time or not?

depends on the thickness of the balsa core
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 5:42am
Yeah I assumed it was about the thicker balsa blades...

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 8:03am
Anything up to the 6.5 like I use has very good dwell, after that, the faster OFF+ Balsas not so much. But it also totally depends on what compisite is used and how much of it and how thick the top layer of Limba or other wood is. I'm certainly able to get just as much spin off the 6.5 as any other blade I own including the Accoustic and they are both similar speed blades, but they feel totally different, the TSP is alot lighter and zero flex

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 9:26am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

Anything up to the 6.5 like I use has very good dwell, after that, the faster OFF+ Balsas not so much. But it also totally depends on what compisite is used and how much of it and how thick the top layer of Limba or other wood is. I'm certainly able to get just as much spin off the 6.5 as any other blade I own including the Accoustic and they are both similar speed blades, but they feel totally different, the TSP is alot lighter and zero flex

You are right.

charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 9:47am
Ma Long is using Rutis with chinese rubber!
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 9:54am
The dwell time depends a lot on the impact speed... at low speeds the balsa feels slow and very soft, giving very good control and spin potential At high impact the balsa rebounds very fast, so the dwell time is much lower, which is great for blocking as it comes back fast and is less sensitive to spin, but your counter loops will have less spin as well.

Thinner balsa blades lowers this effect, and they also have more flex which adds to dwell time...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 8:35pm
Thank you guys.

If I have to summarize: Balsa behaves exponentially, it is slow at slow strokes but extremely fast on fast strokes.  Hmm, I think this will be either you love it or you hate it kind of thing.  I am now considering to get one of Balsa blade, just to get a feel for it.
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 9:12pm
If you get the Opticon, please let us know how you like it as I have been wondering about that blade for awhile.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic