Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Using old VOC glue for roxon rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
quarkz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarkz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using old VOC glue for roxon rubber?
    Posted: 10/19/2008 at 4:47am
Hi,

May I know if anyone tried using old VOC glue for roxon rubber? I will like to try the effect of different blades on the roxon rubbers. However, it's stated on the cover that roxon rubber must be used with VOC free glue.

I currently still have 1 full bottle of Haifu penguin glue and I hope I can use it. However, I'm worred that it might damaged the rubber. Anyway, when I bought the rubber, the shop assistant also used normal VOC glue...

thanks
Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 7:52am
I use regular rubber cement which is not VOC free. For glueing bicycle tyres. butterfly clean chack is ok.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 8:42am

I wouldn't use speed glue, as it will expand your rubber more than rubber cement - which also contains VOCs (heptane), but less of them.

I used rubber cement for gluing my Roxons.  Just keep in mind that you shouldn't cut them flush with your blade for 24-48 hours in case they shrink a little in that time (due to the VOCs evaporating).

Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2008 at 9:33am
dansari i have a method of cutting the rubber that will avoid the long waiting period after gluing. just apply the thick rubber cement to the face of the blade only attach rubber after the glue has dried then cut with box cutter knife.remove the rubber and and any glue that was on it then add glue to rubber and blade then attach.this prevents the rubber from shrinking as they have not expanded
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2008 at 6:34pm
Patrick, you said for the last step to add glue to the rubber (and blade).  But if you add glue to the rubber, this will make it expand.

Is the point of the first step to transfer the dry rubber (from the rubber cement) from the blade to the rubber sheet?
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2008 at 12:15am
Originally posted by patrick1v patrick1v wrote:

dansari i have a method of cutting the rubber that will avoid the long waiting period after gluing. just apply the thick rubber cement to the face of the blade only attach rubber after the glue has dried then cut with box cutter knife.remove the rubber and and any glue that was on it then add glue to rubber and blade then attach.this prevents the rubber from shrinking as they have not expanded

It's a good effective Method, Thanks for sharing, Patrick Clap
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic