Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water-base versus VOC glue and how much

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: water-base versus VOC glue and how much
    Posted: 10/20/2008 at 2:18am

This is really two related questions.  Since the ban of speed glue, most people have switched to new generation rubbers such as Tenergy.  The manufacturers recommend using water-based glues with these (it specifically says it on the Tenergy packaging), but I know players who use regular TT glue or rubber cement instead.  Their belief is that after a few weeks the VOCs will dissapate and the paddle will pass the test.  So the first question is whethe people are actually switching to water-based glues or still using VOC-type glues?

The second question is how much glue is applied.  With speed glues, most players preferred a few layers of glue (5 to 10 typically).  The water-based glues are different, so I wonder if anyone bothers applying more than one later of water-based glues.
Sponsored Links

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 3:10pm

The only way to answer the first question is to test such a blade in ENEZ. If you are playing in any tournament recently, take a paddle in such a condition and see what the ENEZ says.

The water based glue does not bring any effect to you. It is simply a pressure sensitive glue. You simply apply the glue on the blade until you see the whole blade has the glue. You can't figure out layers - you can only tell how many times you have applied the glue.

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

The only way to answer the first question is to test such a blade in ENEZ. If you are playing in any tournament recently, take a paddle in such a condition and see what the ENEZ says.

The water based glue does not bring any effect to you. It is simply a pressure sensitive glue. You simply apply the glue on the blade until you see the whole blade has the glue. You can't figure out layers - you can only tell how many times you have applied the glue.

Great comment.  I can see how applying multiple layers of water-based glue would be irrelevant for rubber performance.  That was kind of my thinking and so far I've only applied single layers.

As for the other point about ENEZ, I think it is safe to say that if you wait a few weeks, you should be safe.  After all, we have millions of people around the world who have never used speed glue but used regular TT glue instead, and no one expects them to replace their paddles/rubbers.  So maybe the real question should be: what is the point of the water-based glues?  Is it only if you are gluing new sheets right before a tournament, such as the pros do?

By the way, you bring up one other good point: reapplying water-based glues to the same sheets.  I have yet to remove a sheet glued with water-based glue, but I've heard horror stories about trying to remove the glue from the sponge.  Has anyone had success with this?  You obviously aren't "regluing" anymore like with speed glue, but it would be nice to reliably move sheets from one paddle to another for testing purposes.
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 3:25pm
I know a player at my club used VOC glue to apply Andro Plasma and the  topsheet bubbled and started to separate from the sponge.  Probably one of the reasons why that warning is on these rubber packages.  I also know people that have successfully used Rubber cement to attach plasma and tenergy on their blades.  You will need to ventilate your racket for 72 hours prior to using it in a tournament where testing may be used such that any VOCs have a chance to disipate.  Dont leave your racket in a plastic bag or racket case.  Also, don't leave a plastic sheet on top of your rubber sheet while it is ventilating.

Water based glue is used only for attaching rubber to blade.  No glue effect.  So, you put a coat on the blade, a coat on the sponge.  Let it tack up then apply the rubber onto the blade.  Some people put water based glue only on blade.  I put on both and get a nice adhesion that comes off easily.  It works really well.  Seal your blade first.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 5:23pm
YES Paste is the best thing I've ever used.
This is probably the only thing I will NOT change.
There are endless advantages over the toxic stuff.
LOVE IT!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Glueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 5:25pm
American Hinoki 9 mm Bald Cypress single-ply
Venus 2.2
Neptune 0.6
Windshield Wiper Grip (Don�t you wish YOU had a 3-sided blade?)
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 5:44pm
i know someone who's rackect failed the enez  test without gluing for almost 2 months.if you glue air it out before you put the racket in you case 
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

LOVE IT!!

Is it like watery or like tooth paste?

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 6:00pm
It's more like peanut butter . . . non chunky, smooth kind.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

LOVE IT!!
I watched the Youtube video on Tear Mender and I was impressed.  I also found YES Paste at Amazon and I wonder how these two compare.

So far, I've tried Butterfly and Joola water-based glues (but haven't tried removing them), and I've got a bottle of DHS to try.  It's almost as bad as figuring out which rubber to use.

One thing is that it seems to me that the new rubbers are designed to be played without the extra layers of rubber-type glues, so maybe too thick of a layer of even the water-based glues would be too much.
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2008 at 11:06pm
I've gotta try YES Paste. I've been afraid of the VOCs in rubber cement since I'm a dealer and will be making thousands of rackets in my lifetime :S

Too bad Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada, and Amazon.ca has such fewer selection than its American counterpart.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Beer Belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beer Belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2008 at 8:27am
I love Elmer's rubber cement (damn hard to get it here in Australia) and would love to try Yes Paste. Seriously someone from the States should consider setting up a business selling Yes Paste to the rest of the world!
Welcome to the Dark Side

BTY Joo Se Hyuk | Tenergy64 2.1 | TSP P1-R 1mm

Chop til you drop baby!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic