Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Holy Grail Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Holy Grail Report
    Posted: 10/31/2008 at 3:37pm
We hear about the "Holy Grail" sometimes on this and other forums. You know, the moment when everything comes together: blade, rubber, glue...body, mind, spirit. It is not too common these days, since most of us are in pursuit of perfection. Now I realize everyone/thing is a work in progress. So the rules are simple:

If you have found or even think you have found the ultimate,"the" setup, the Holy Grail and plan to stick with it for at least 12 months then please submit the following:

Blade: Blade Manufacturer, Model, Weight, Handle Style, Dimensions (if desired)
FH Rubber: Manufacturer, Name/Style, Thickness
BH Rubber: Manufacturer, Name/Style, Thickness
Glue: Manufacturer, Name/Type of glue
Blade Mods:
Rubber Mods:

Style of Play: keep it simple here i.e. two-winged looper, close to table attacker, modern defender, chopper, all-around offensive (pick one style you can elaborate on next line)

Brief statement of why this setup is working for you: Here youcan mention previous setups that did not work, and why this is the perfect setup.

Guidelines:
***Out of respect for the concept of the Holy Grail, try to keep this format as much as possible or suggest a better one and stay on topic as I am going to compile the list into something I hope all of us can use as a reference of what is working. I know many folks will say: Equipment is not that important, why, I could beat half the guys on this forum if you would just give me a beer and an ashtray and a place to play! If you don't believe equipment bears any responsibility in how well a player plays, well...you will find your salvation in another thread. So if you are not a believer, please refrain from posting.LOL Lastly, if you are changing blades whenever Butterfly comes out with a new Zithromax Carbon blade, maybe you are still in search of it and don't have "the" setup. For guys like this, if you truly think you will play with this blade for the next 12 months, then you should go ahead and submit.
-------
Post- post:

Thanks JimT, I will be adding my setup just as soon as I figure out my rubber combo FH/BH, I got it down to like three diff. FH and hopefully one backhand.

Thanks opinari, I also play with Xiom blade. Care to share your secret weapon model?
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2008 at 4:04pm
Blade: 729 V-6, 88 g, FL
FH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro Ultralight 2.0 SV
BH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro Ultralight 2.0 Reg
Glue: Tibhar Clean Fix (any water-based glue would do, I believe)
Style of Play: Allround OFF-
Brief: soft precise short game, good and flexible attack, great control, very good and consistent topspin with some degree of deception
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2008 at 4:56pm
I don't think this is perfect for everyone, but I've been using this setup for two years now.

Blade: Five-Ply Limba
FH: Sriver L
BH: Sriver FX/EL
Glue: Clean Chack
Style of Play: Close to Mid-Distance FH Loop/BH Drive

I actually use a Xiom blade but to be honest, I've used other five-ply limbas and can't tell much of a difference. My level is pretty low (~<1700) and this setup has been great in building the fundamentals; if I miss a shot, it's pretty obvious why.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2008 at 8:40pm
Blade: DHS Dipper Off+1, 80 gr, FL
FH: milkyway venus 2.0
BH: quattro 2.0
Glue: Art Cement
Style of Play: close to the table blocker

The medium vibration helps my feeling in the blocking game, whether my blocks r out of place or not, it also aids in the short game where i need that sensitive feedback. EXTRMEELY LIGHT setup
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic