Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TearMender > Yes! Paste

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vikroda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vikroda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2008 at 12:29am
I found that Yes Paste doesn't do as well as Tear Mender in keeping the edges of the racket attached.  With Yes Paste you can easily peal the rubber off so it can come loose if you brush your racket against the table (though you can moisten it to reattach).  Tear Mender is better at keeping the rubber firmly attached to the blade.

Anyone try Stiga Attach power glue?  They used to sell it at TTP, but I don't see it anymore.  It's about 10x thicker than tear mender (it clumps up before you have a chance to spread it out).  Maybe if I mix the stiga and tear mender it will have just the right consistency.
Sponsored Links

dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2008 at 12:30am
uhh I've used Tear Mender and Nittaku Finezip, they are basically the same except that Tear mender is much thinner, so it dries way too quick for me to spread the glue before it solidfies.
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2008 at 11:44am
dalamchops.....how much time has elapsed from the moment you first start applying the glue, till the moment you put them togather?
dalamchops View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dalamchops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2008 at 2:29pm
less than a minute. 
Stiga Titanium 5.4 Cpen
Andro Hexer Pips 2.1
Donic Acuda S2 Max
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2008 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by dalamchops dalamchops wrote:

less than a minute. 

It might be because you put too little glue on the blade or sponge. Tear Mender does dry pretty fast. I tried putting more and it was still quite wet after I spread the glue on both the blade and sponge. One problem is it tend to ooze out of the edge of the blade, but removing it after it's dry is very easy.
Glueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2008 at 1:40am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

less than a minute.
It might be because you put too little glue on the blade or sponge.

This is a good possibility.

Because I live at 10,000 feet altitude the air is pretty dry here and EVERYTHING dries really fast. Yet, I have no problem applying Tear Mender to the blade and getting the rubber rolled onto the blade WELL before the Tear Mender has started to dry even a little bit. Of course all of this is dependent on your relative humidity but I can't see how anyone is living in an area that is much drier than where I am. I have none of these issues using Tear Mender here.
American Hinoki 9 mm Bald Cypress single-ply
Venus 2.2
Neptune 0.6
Windshield Wiper Grip (Don�t you wish YOU had a 3-sided blade?)
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2008 at 7:31pm

less than a minute. 

Ok...I just opend a new bottle of TM.  It was not thin and runny at all.  I was actually suprised at how thick it was.  Maybe it is because I keep my house at 65 degrees?   It may be temp sensitive, as the label states "do not let freeze". 

My humidity is about 48% where I just glued up.  The TM stayed white for more than long enough.  Even the excess I wiped off my aplicator stayed white for many minutes.....though it did solidify quickly after about 2 mins.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2008 at 8:46pm
My Tear Mender was thinner than honey.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/2008 at 11:38pm
Mine was not like the stuff in the video of the guy who had to tape off his blade.   It was.....maybe like you say Hookshot, alittle thinner than honey. 

I reglued a rubber after about and hour and a half of a fresh glue job. Not sure how long it actually takes to fully set, but the adheision didnt seem to be as good as rubber cement.  Close maybe.  I will have to test that on a glue job that has set for weeks plus. 

The best thing about it is the fact that you dont distort softer sponge, because it comes off so easy.  But all in all, it seems to work very good.  I like being able to glue up fast and then reglue other rubbers so fast for testing on my robot. 

THEMANFZ1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMANFZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 12:44am
The simple fact that I do not have to PEEL any glue when using YES past is enough for me to stick with it.  I agree that it can peel away from the edge if scraped on the table but a lick and a pinch and your back in business.  With yest past the glue stays on the blade and you can either re-use it or wipe it off with a damp rag. I hate having to peel glue from the back of a rubber. I will admit that it does take a bit to get used to the application of YES paste, but once you figure out how much to apply and how to apply it you are golden!
Joola MC1-Inspirit Quattro 2.0 & Palio CJ8000
Ritc V6-Globe 999 2.0 & 729 lightning FX
Glueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2008 at 1:19am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Ok...I just opend a new bottle of TM. It was not thin and runny at all. I was actually suprised at how thick it was. Maybe it is because I keep my house at 65 degrees?   It may be temp sensitive, as the label states "do not let freeze".

Tear Mender is supposed to be very wet and runny. Though you are not the first person to report that when they opened a new bottle of Tear Mender it was actually fairly thick.

My hypothesis about this is that at some point in the life of that brand-new bottle of Tear Mender someone did let it freeze or come into some other form of temperature extreme that caused the latex in the Tear Mender to coagulate.
American Hinoki 9 mm Bald Cypress single-ply
Venus 2.2
Neptune 0.6
Windshield Wiper Grip (Don�t you wish YOU had a 3-sided blade?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic