Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

whats handle is more good?? ST or FL?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
asyraf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: whats handle is more good?? ST or FL?
    Posted: 11/25/2008 at 10:38am
whats handle is great? ST handle or FL handle..  anyone please give an opinion and the reason why you choose that. Wink
Blade: TBS
FH: Sriver L 2.1mm
BH: Vega Europe Max
Sponsored Links

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 10:51am
i used 2 just dislike ST handle of all blades as I thought they were either too thick, ugly or bulky. Well, that changed after I tried a Stiga's Carbo 7.6 ST n a Clipper ST and later Acoustic ST n my present H-3-9 ST. I also like Anatomic esp. Bty's and Stiga's, however i need to sand a teeny bit off the edge for my Stiga's An. but Bty's An. I believe r the best of all Ans. IMHO.
Reason? 4 me is simple as I like inside of my palm to be fully engaged w/the handle n dun like 2 have unnecessary "voids". Also ST handles r good for twiddling (SP?) of blades.
2nd reason is just personal preference.
Then again, I find Bty SC's FL handle long, nice, surface is nice n rough and comfy.
Acoustic's and Violin's FLs r the ones i find too slim and provide me with too little or not enuf grip.
anyway, dun listen to/believe what I said as u should go n try some out. 2 local n younger n very good players I'm "fortunate" to know, however r using FL, so my "preference" is really irrelevant as I'm not even good...Big%20smile I'd b lucky if i could get 3 points off them...
asyraf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 11:00am

owh.. thanks.

729cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 6:57pm
FL handle is usually used by people with dominating, strong FH shots/topspins and people with smaller hands(but depends on brand).
with ST handle, I don't have to change grip(hand position) between FH/BH shots, it feels more natural and comfortable(I have a bit bigger hands)

Avalox p500
fh 729-08
bh DHS G555

Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 7:03pm
Straight handles only.

Easier to change the grip, and it fits my hand perfectly (Talking about the Michael Maze OFF ST now)
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
longhand View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 7:12pm
ST handle seems to suit me best. I hardly grip the bat anyway, only just before contact i grip firmly. Otherwise I'm really just holding the bat extremely lightly. This allows my grip to change between forehand and backhand (which i have been told i shouldn't do). Thus a ST handle is my choice.

Also another note. While trying out a lot of stiga blades, i found that ST blades had a nicer sound than the FL blades. I went through about 4 of each blades.
Stiga ebenholz
fh- Palio macro era Max
bh- Palio macro era Max
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 7:41pm
It's personal preference and my preference is straight, I find it more versatile and it just feels more comfortable..

Straight is better for those with a strong backhand and those who change grip for their forehand.

The most popular handle used by the pro's is the straight handle. 
Counterlooper View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Counterlooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2008 at 10:10pm
Personally I like the FL handle...To me my grip feels better. on ST handles I can't really hold it right. but thats me.
asyraf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 12:25am

i like to play with FL handle. it give me strong grip to smash, loop, topspin, chop, or anything else.. moreover, it comfortable for me. i like it Cool

demo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 1:37am
I've tried straight and flared. I like flared better ... for now.

Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 6:10am
I prefr FL but can also play with ST,AN
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 6:47am
Wow...a penholder never has to worry about this xD

Sorry

Anyways, I like flared better (tried 2 friends' blade) . Your hand isn't completely cylindrical so straight wouldn't be optimal?

But it's personal preference... so it's up to the person.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 9:13am
I went back and forth between FL and ST.....then got a AN.....and now I have found my home so to speak. 
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 10:57am
I played with AN,ST and FL and I use flared handle now.It's just with what you feel more comfortable...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 11:24am
funny thing about grips.....but has any one tried to just let there hand close naturally, by it self.....i noticed that where my index finger was there was a much bigger opening then where my pinky was !!!!
this would tell make u wonder ...wouldn't  the opposite of flared be the most natural fit....anatomic would seem to be the closest thing to a natural fit!
makes me wonder if i should go back to anatomic!

but i do agree with some, that flare does feel nice when looping and straight feels better for serving and backhand

right know i am using flared but just ordered 2 straight blades

i guess they all have there benefits. and maybe your hand being the most comfortable is not always the best Confused

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

asyraf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 11:36am

i think FL handle is good for looping and topspin.. when i looping or topspin, i feel very comfortable to do a great loop and topspin.

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 1:57pm
I have read many times that ST is better for all round players like me and for those who do not change their grip between FH and BH.
Loopers tend to prefer FL and I do not understand why it would give them an edge...I can loop and loop with ST. I think it's a matter of preference; also I am not able to grasp the complex mechanics involved that make FL better for loopers.
For twiddlers FOR SURE ST is best.
big_fat_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big_fat_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by johnny89atc johnny89atc wrote:

I played with AN,ST and FL and I use flared handle now.It's just with what you feel more comfortable...

Anatomical, all the way!!
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 4:20pm
I love st handle, but lately I start using fl ...
razortt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 4:46pm
Generally I like ST better. Most of the blade that I used before, ST offer thicker , beefier handle. Whereas FL is only thicker at the end of the handle. It all comes down to personal preference. Playon!LOL
Beer Belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beer Belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 7:11pm
I find that, in general, it's easier to twiddle with a ST handle.
Welcome to the Dark Side

BTY Joo Se Hyuk | Tenergy64 2.1 | TSP P1-R 1mm

Chop til you drop baby!
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2008 at 10:26pm
I have both, and I really don't care. Although, with an ST, my grip while serving is a bit awkward.. it kind of feels like Im not holding the handle strong enough.
asyraf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asyraf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 1:27am
yes.. playing with ST feels like not holding the handle strong enough.. while with FL it feel like holding the strong paddle and comfortable to make a great ball.
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 1:40am
I prefer AN handles.

Which is good as it limits my choices to blades by almost 70% but bad thing is hard to find the blade you want in AN.
Beer Belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beer Belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I have read many times that ST is better for all round players like me and for those who do not change their grip between FH and BH.
Loopers tend to prefer FL and I do not understand why it would give them an edge...I can loop and loop with ST. I think it's a matter of preference; also I am not able to grasp the complex mechanics involved that make FL better for loopers.
For twiddlers FOR SURE ST is best.

Agreed. I also do not understand why FL is apparently "better" for looping...
Welcome to the Dark Side

BTY Joo Se Hyuk | Tenergy64 2.1 | TSP P1-R 1mm

Chop til you drop baby!
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 8:12pm
For some reason I tend to pronate my grip when I am not practicing regularly.

A nice beefy ST handle prevents this from happening!
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 8:27pm
The most comfortable is by far AN, its fits your hand, ST is awkward but good for twidling, FL gives a good grip and is good for looping
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 10:08pm
I sand all my FL blades to Count Duku style grips =   )| . A while ago, i was sanding away at the club, did one side and played with it. Fits my hand perfectly. My first  sanding job was my TBS FL to a really tiny ST. It's the best grip i've ever had.
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 10:30pm
picture please...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Piingpoong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piingpoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/2008 at 10:53pm
ST is more easier in serve
Nittaku ACOUSTIC
FH: TG3
BH: Hexer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic