Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Why the PROs use the same blade for years?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why the PROs use the same blade for years?
    Posted: 12/04/2008 at 2:15am
I see that many pros use the same blade for years. In case of damage they repair their blade instead of changing with a brand new.
Have you noticed that blades get better and better after years?
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 3:09am
Feel!
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 3:29am
Yeah blade is getting better and better since we use it every time. For example we buy 2 identical blades, One is unused put in the box. The other one is used every day for 1 year. The one that's used every day will feel better, more solid due to usage.
That's why some players decide to repair their old blades rather than changing the new one.
I've seen michael Maze blade in the match, it's looks dirty on the handle.
Maybe He keep using his blade Ermm
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 3:50am
Changing equipment often sometimes damages your game, because you're constantly needing to change to adapt to the style of the blade.

Pro's use the same blade for a long period of time because they know they can execute the shots they want without having to worry about whether the blade would feel the same as their old one.

This is the same for people at lower levels excluding some and those EJ's =D lol.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 5:58am

My blade is like an extension of my hand. �There is a level of comfort most EJ's will never experience. �After a couple hours most people can adapt to something new probably 50% (i am just approximating percentages to illustrate my point). �The next step probably comes around the 2 weeks mark, where you have jumped to 70%. �Then, at around 3-6 months you are up to 85%. �By then most people will feel that they are about as comfortable with a setup as they will ever get. �But after a year with the same exact setup, you get up to 95%. �Now your muscle memory is actually adapted to the racket. �However, progress beyond 95% compatibility comes slow...people close to 100% adapted to their racket are weary of changes both because of the nuanced equipment-specific adjustments they have made to their motions, as well as the enormous time needed to get to the same level with something else.

edit - for example, Timo Boll's new blade was probably made because BTY wanted to give him a chance to make adjustments to the post glue era. �Instead of adapting his equipment (the ALC is close, if not identical to a TBS), he has made changes to his game instead, which is now a little more passive and much more strategic.

I just posted another thread asking for help deciding on a new racket. �It is a huge decision for me for exactly this reason.

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 7:03am
legout still plays with his legout blade...nice!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

seahorse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seahorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 7:14am
I saw a picture on a thread somewhere of Kalinic's blade which looked like the most mangled piece of drift wood i'd ever seen 'cause he would just keep repairing the same blade and had it for i don't know how many years.  If anyone has the photo or link please post it as that blade has some real soul!
Donic Dicon (JO shape)
F: DNA Platinum M
B: Jekyll & Hyde 52.5
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

I see that many pros use the same blade for years. In case of damage they repair their blade instead of changing with a brand new.
Have you noticed that blades get better and better after years?

sometimes the wood in the blade is not dry enuff and the old blade is "loaded" with all the memories of subejective thinking and emotions
sebas-aguirre View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 11:34am
i think it is because they make so little money living off table tennis that they cannot afford a new blade...
LOL
LOL
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 11:48am
The "tops" have many paddles with them. They change it based on their opponents. However, they stick to the ones they are consistant with. They don't have much time to experiment the new paddles.

swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 5:07pm
I am not a pro, but I use since 20 years the same blade. I tested a lot of different blades due my table tennis "career", but I never found a blade that has the same good feeling. So I can unserstand it very well, that pro's do not change their old blades for a new one. For example Jan-Ove Waldner never played with a original Banda or Donic blade. He still use his old Hans Alser blade. He only change the handles because of his sponsor contracts. A lot of the pro's do it like this.
VH:Samba Joola
BH:Armstrong Rosin
Blade: TRinnova Sonar Blade
---------------------
www.trinnova-blades.com / Handmade Blades
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by swissping swissping wrote:

I am not a pro, but I use since 20 years the same blade. I tested a lot of different blades due my table tennis "career", but I never found a blade that has the same good feeling. So I can unserstand it very well, that pro's do not change their old blades for a new one. For example Jan-Ove Waldner never played with a original Banda or Donic blade. He still use his old Hans Alser blade. He only change the handles because of his sponsor contracts. A lot of the pro's do it like this.

It is always good to stick with one. In the first 2 - 3 years of the career, we have to try different ones and then stick with one. That is also a good time to learn about different rubbers and blades. It is like going to a college and learning some new skill.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 6:26pm
I believe my inability to stick with one set-up is mostly to blame for my slow rise to 2000. I'm constantly set back, stuck in an endless learning curve, only to ultimately blame my difficulty on the blade and start the madness all over again!

BUT, when do you say, "This is the one I will stick with."?
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
mwyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I believe my inability to stick with one set-up is mostly to blame for my slow rise to 2000. I'm constantly set back, stuck in an endless learning curve, only to ultimately blame my difficulty on the blade and start the madness all over again!BUT, when do you say, "This is the one I will stick with."?

When you realise that it is NEVER the setups fault!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I believe my inability to stick with one set-up is mostly to blame for my slow rise to 2000. I'm constantly set back, stuck in an endless learning curve, only to ultimately blame my difficulty on the blade and start the madness all over again!

BUT, when do you say, "This is the one I will stick with."?

I don't want to turn you down.... I even thought that way about myself some time ago...
but in my oppinion the relevance of equipment change is reeeaalllyyy low.
I must admit it is easy to say "hey I suck cause of my equipment, not cause of my game" but in my case and many others I suck cause my game is bad, nothing else. I've seen players change their equipment time and time again and they always play the same way, throw the same balls out, etc.
give a new paddle to an ittf top 100 and play a match with him.
then we'll see if the paddle is that relevant Wink
In really high levels and between two really close leveled players that change could have a very little importance.
at least that's my oppinion
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sebas-aguirre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 7:37pm

There is a guy in this forum who says his father owns the company that produces donic blades.
And he says they have produced many for waldner, and suggests he's using them.
how sure are you about what you're saying?
nothing personal, just want to know the truth once and for all Tongue
swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 7:59pm
@sebas-aguirre:

I know Jan-Ove Walder and I meet him several times. After his last match in grenzau germany, I could play a few balls with him and he let me see his blades he plays with. I develop table tennis blades since 16 years and im shure its not a donic blade, its a old alser blade he play with.  I ask him and he says, that it is a old stiga blade....so im 100% shure.
---------------------
charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2008 at 11:56pm
seems that the glue ban has forced many to change their blade!
mrt4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrt4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2008 at 2:30am

@sebas-aguirre:

I know Jan-Ove Walder and I meet him several times. After his last match in grenzau germany, I could play a few balls with him and he let me see his blades he plays with. I develop table tennis blades since 16 years and im shure its not a donic blade, its a old alser blade he play with.  I ask him and he says, that it is a old stiga blade....so im 100% shure.

Alser has a flared handle, waldner plays with straight handle so then it should be a Stellan, right?

\R
Swedish male, playing since 1993.

Blade: Timo boll w5
forehand: Tenergy 25fx 2,1

Backhand: Energy absorber 1,6

glue: waterbased!!!!

swissping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2008 at 8:53am
@mrt4: oh yes, the st handle is stellan. But the plys from this old stiga series are all the same, it doesn't matter if alser, bengtsson or johannsson. So its a old stellan bengtsson.
---------------------
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic