Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenergy faster on wood blades?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LittleFish.Net View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy faster on wood blades?
    Posted: 01/05/2009 at 1:58pm
For people that have played T05 on both carbon and wood blades, do you feel T05 is faster on wood blades? I see significant speed difference between my Ma Lin carbon and Hurricane Hao using the same thickness T05 rubber. Is T05 not too suitable for a stiff blade? What about T25 and T64? For people that have played those, do you think they work better with more flexible blades?
Violin CPen/FH:T05 2.1/BH:T64 1.9
W-6 CPen/FH:IQUL 2.2/BH:IQUL SV 2.0
Sponsored Links

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 2:15pm
I've used a few different setups of Tenergy 05 on Arylate/Carbon and All Hinoki plywood blades.

The composite (stiffer) blades are faster, and definitely better far from the table, but harder to control Tenergy close to the table on most shot besides power looping.

The wood blade with Tenergy seems to have more gears. And a little less top speed. I can do touch shots and control loops better with the all wood blades, although blocks and counter drives will throw a little higher and give my opponent more time to react compared to the crisp blocks and counters on the composite.

So one is not really better than the other. I will go back to the composite blade/Tenergy combo, when my skills close to the table get a little better. Right now I'm enjoying the control, dwell, and spin of my Hinoki plywood with 1.9 Tenergy 05.

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 2:17pm
Sorry I don't know if I answered your question about carbon blades. I consider Arylate Carbon to be rather stiff.

I won't even touch a purely carbon composite blade.

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 2:50pm
+1 loopmeister, nice assessment

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 5:02pm
Interesting, so 2 people don't see T05 to be faster on more flexible blades, just better control. I was going to get a piece of T25 which most said is softer to see if it is a better match to a stiff blade. Then the slightly higher price and shipping cost of Iruiru is making me think twice. I hope to see Dandoy (where I got my T05's) would have T25's by now just a while ago. They still don't have T25's but lo and behold they have T64's. Well why not?   
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 5:22pm
I don't see tenergy as any different to any other rubber compared on different blades.

The question is merely the same which blade is fastest.

The question of which blade suits tenergy best is subjective and has been discussed many times else where.

I've used on many different blades.

5 ply hinoki is best for super spin, BUT!  expect to work harder to get the ball on the table in that state.  It's not just a matter of buy the rubber stick it on and get the spin.   Remember once you slow you game down, spin is a factor in table tennis which is easily  cancelled or should say neutralised.  You can work hard for every shot just for the other guy to put his bat out with the correct angle and block.

Speed in my opinion is not possible to be neutralised because you don't know where the ball will go and can't get to where the ball is going as easily.

I actually found that if you like to rip the low balls over the table that soft 5 ply hinoki allows to much dwell time and a horizontal stroke will spin the ball into the net and angling the stroke up a bit then sends the ball of the table.

With a light carbon blade tenergy 05 seems perfect at ripping the ball straight low over the net and then spinning down before the base line.

I can still do short spinny grazes with my carbon and when I want more speed its waiting to be activated, where as the soft blades seem to be lacking in that final finishing power.

The other thing with all wood blades I find is they are inconsistant.  A composite blade is much more the same all over the surface and you master its abilities and understand what it will do. 
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2009 at 11:02pm
Ok, so may be the Hurricane Hao is just a faster blade than the Ma Lin carbon. The ML carbon is rated OFF and the HH is rated OFF+. However, I heard DHS usually over rate the speed of their blades so an OFF+ is more like an OFF for the other brands. The 2 blades' speed should be similar but not only I can feel the difference I can visually see a big difference. The balls are just flying off the HH comparing with the ML carbon. That's the reason I want to know if anyone else who has played the T05 on carbon and wood blades before had similar observations. Personally, I like carbon blades better because they seem to be more forgiving on the contact point (bigger sweet spot?) However, I really like how the Tenergy plays so I might settle for a softer Arylate-Carbon blade if it means I can get some speed back from the rubber.
P�r$son View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr$son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 10:02am
Personally I've tried T05 on the TBS and I liked it, although it was very fast and some of my loops just flew over the table.

Then I changed to my clipper, and I have to say the feeling is a lot better in my opinion, and I don't think the speed is so different. Seems to be more spinny and controlled, when counterlooping or close to the table, where I had problems with the TBS, especially with the first loop on underspin.
Sure the TBS has a greater sweet spot, but the various gears with the Clipper are much better for me.
To answer your question, I dont think T05 on wood blades is faster, but I was surprised the clipper-combo feels close to the TBS in terms of Speed.
BUTTERFLY
Korbel SK7 straight
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Best Setup ever !
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 10:31am
I wouldn't surprise me if the Korbel SK7 is Butterfly's modern take on the Clipper.
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by LittleFish.Net LittleFish.Net wrote:

For people that have played T05 on both carbon and wood blades, do you feel T05 is faster on wood blades? I see significant speed difference between my Ma Lin carbon and Hurricane Hao using the same thickness T05 rubber. Is T05 not too suitable for a stiff blade? What about T25 and T64? For people that have played those, do you think they work better with more flexible blades?

I had played T05 on four different blades; wood & composite blades.  T05 is very fast on Feruku (Kevlar), a little bit slow on Samsonov Alpha (wood), OK on Stiga Carbonix (light carbon), and great on Andro Carbon Supercore (my current setup).  I also tried my friend's Acoustic with T05 and it works great too.  A player from my club has T05 on HK and the speed is out of control.

So I think T05 matches up better with soft to med soft blades than stiff and hard blades regardless the blades are wood or composite because thare are hard wood blades and soft compostite ones as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 1:13pm
Thank you all for your input. It is beginning to make sense to me now. The ML carbon is too stiff to be a good match for the T05.
Thunder Boult View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Boult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 7:28pm
I have T05 1.9mm on my BH on a Black Devil Carbon Balsa Blade.  I love it.
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2009 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by LittleFish.Net LittleFish.Net wrote:

Thank you all for your input. It is beginning to make sense to me now. The ML carbon is too stiff to be a good match for the T05.

ML soft carbon should work better with T05.
P�r$son View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr$son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 10:40am
I agree that T05 works well on med-soft blades.
I tried it on Clipper yesterday again, and I love it ! It's very fast and absolutly amazing spin and control. Perhaps I'd like to have a little more control on the first loop.
Because of that I ordered Korbel SK7 today. I heard it plays very similar to Clipper, but a little softer. Perhaps I get even more click Tongue and a little better control.  I will soon write a review on how it feels.
Cheers
BUTTERFLY
Korbel SK7 straight
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Best Setup ever !
jossix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jossix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 10:52am
i dug my clipper out of storage just to try it with tenergy o5
ugh i did not like it all-reminds me of tenergy on hk-very fast and bouncy.
for me tenergy plays best on TBS and Acoustic.
P�r$son View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr$son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 11:01am
Didn't like it on TBS personally LOL Somehow to hard
BUTTERFLY
Korbel SK7 straight
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Best Setup ever !
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 12:25pm
Theory:

People who are able to tap into Tenergy's spin producing capabilities (with the blade that fits their loop mechanics, regardless of whether it's wood or carbon or stiff or flexible) will be able to produce faster shots.

Why?

Because they will be able to generate more topspin, which in turn will bring those balls down onto the table, allowing them to generate more speed and still make the shot...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Theory:

People who are able to tap into Tenergy's spin producing capabilities (with the blade that fits their loop mechanics, regardless of whether it's wood or carbon or stiff or flexible) will be able to produce faster shots.

Why?

Because they will be able to generate more topspin, which in turn will bring those balls down onto the table, allowing them to generate more speed and still make the shot...
Players with better skills can almost certainly generate faster and spinnier balls regardless of rubber. I once read on someone's post that said "Ma Lin can probably generate more spin than you do with a frying pan."  Big%20smile 
However, I'm talking about the same player, high or lower level, using T05 on different blades and feel a significant speed difference.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by jossix jossix wrote:

i dug my clipper out of storage just to try it with tenergy o5
ugh i did not like it all-reminds me of tenergy on hk-very fast and bouncy.
for me tenergy plays best on TBS and Acoustic.

what about tenergy 05 makes it so bad on the HK. I want to play tenergy.. but i really dont want to give up the HK because its a great blade. Is it the pip structure?

do you guys think 64 would suit the HK better? 25? anyone please? I want more speeeeeed.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

what about tenergy 05 makes it so bad on the HK. I want to play tenergy.. but i really dont want to give up the HK because its a great blade. Is it the pip structure?

do you guys think 64 would suit the HK better? 25? anyone please? I want more speeeeeed.

Because HK is too hard for Tenergy 05.
Since Tenergy needs mechanical spin and it has a hard sponge, it's more suitable for soft-medium blades.
I hope Tenergy 64 is softer and suit H-king Wink.

If you want more speed why don't you try Mambo GP?
Whale II 38 degree also a good choice.
It's faster than H3 Provincial.

Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 10:05pm
where do you get your whale II from peter?
I'm located in the US, are there any reputable online stores to ship to US that has it? How much does it run?
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 10:20pm
I bought it from my friend via TTrubberman.
You can check the price at www.ttrubberman.com
There's untuned and tuned version.
Why don't you try both of them Wink
I'll let you know the comparison between the untuned and tuned version.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 10:23pm
Few months ago I saw singapore junior team while playing here in town. one of them (Ma Liang) uses Tenergy on HK on FH and he played great...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleFish.Net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

I bought it from my friend via TTrubberman.
You can check the price at www.ttrubberman.com
There's untuned and tuned version.
Why don't you try both of them Wink
I'll let you know the comparison between the untuned and tuned version.
TTRubberman is a great seller. Highly recommended.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic