Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback requested - Forum Improvements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 10:42am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Not a bad idea at all, but we'd have to be careful as such a section can also be easily abused by sellers/retailers to promote their products. I think the deals should only be posted by members that don't have any ties to the retailer/sellers that offer the "Hot Deals"... ie. don't post your own hot dealsBig%20smile

How do you figure out the members who don't have any ties to a retailer (or seller) and who has ties? Look at this thread: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23695 

"don't post your own hot deals":

Are you suggesting retailers to use other members to post deals in place of they themselves promote Wink?

Original Post:

The chinese brands will be significantly cheaper.  I recommend www.colestt.com for a good selection.  Cole has combos that will easily fall in your price range. 

I personally prefer a less tacky rubber than the Geospin - The LKT Pro XP would be a good choice.  Good luck.

Sponsored Links

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 11:12am
Varg,,,,no personal offense meant here, but you are being hypocritical by your post.   You are not following the rules but yet you want to bring someones post about where to get products up as wrong. 

You should be paying for advertisment fees here (as well as many others), and you always try selling your products in postings and advertise your business in your signature.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see an ad banner for your business on Mytt.

Cole shows respect and good business ethics by not trying to sell products via pms or in postings. I tell people places to buy stuff to because I have baught from many sellers. 
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Varg,,,,no personal offense meant here, but you are being hypocritical by your post.   You are not following the rules but yet you want to bring someones post about where to get products up as wrong. 

You should be paying for advertisment fees here (as well as many others), and you always try selling your products in postings and advertise your business in your signature.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see an ad banner for your business on Mytt.

Cole shows respect and good business ethics by not trying to sell products via pms or in postings. I tell people places to buy stuff to because I have baught from many sellers. 

Why I should be hypocritical when others do the same? From time to time, the forum admins / moderators ask suggestions from the members to improve the forum. Whatever you are accusing me of has already come from other retailers or members pointing their fingers at me and this time I'm just expressing some thoughts from my side.

I'm simply replying to the discussion about how to identify the ties between members and retailers. If there is a rule going to be implemented, it should be applicable to everyone (members and retailers).

This forum allows signature. I use the signature just like any other retailer or member uses the signature here.

Do you see the ad banner of all the ratailers participating in this forum? I can answer your rest of the question if you can find answer for this first.

You have not done your research to find posts where other retailers (including the one you are talking about) themselves are selling their products in their posts or PMs.

You can tell people where to buy stuff if they ask you where they can get it. If they are not asking you, why you should tell.

The retailers also should be bold enough (considering their ethics and respect) to come forward and say nobody else need to do the job of promoting their business in this forum. Or the moderators have to delete the posts of such promotion.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

Not a bad idea at all, but we'd have to be careful as such a section can also be easily abused by sellers/retailers to promote their products. I think the deals should only be posted by members that don't have any ties to the retailer/sellers that offer the "Hot Deals"... ie. don't post your own hot dealsBig%20smile

How do you figure out the members who don't have any ties to a retailer (or seller) and who has ties? Look at this thread: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23695 

Are you suggesting retailers to use other members to post deals in place of they themselves promote Wink?

Original Post:

The chinese brands will be significantly cheaper.  I recommend www.colestt.com for a good selection.  Cole has combos that will easily fall in your price range. 

I personally prefer a less tacky rubber than the Geospin - The LKT Pro XP would be a good choice.  Good luck.

How do you figure out the members who don't have any ties to a retailer (or seller) and who has ties?
Well you're right, you can't be sure who has ties to a retailer, but it's often either obvious, or becomes very obvious after a few posts...

Yes I'm sure this could happen, but once again it will become obvious after a few posts. The idea of this thread is to post HOT DEALS, not for people to promote their (or someone else's) products.... if we all understand that and only use it for this purpose, in can be a very useful thread.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2009 at 10:15pm

Original Post:

This is a seperate issue really, on what's advertising and what the forum allows.

My personal viewpoint (and this is not a forum or section rule that I'm making, just expressing my opinion) is that the post above is fine, as the poster is simply recommending a retailer that he feels offer the selection and prices that are suitable. This is useful and helps the person asking the question... In the end if it's helpful and relevant, I don't think anyone will have issues with it...

I don't see signature as a problem either, as this forum has always accepted these, but i think they should be kept to a small size and not be made to stand out or scream "press me", as it makes the thread hard to read. If they're kept small, members will click on them only if they're interested to know more about this person, but when they're big and with big banners, it does look like advertising to me, which some members obviously don't like.

Anyway, that's how I see it, and that's what I do with my own signature, and I've never had a complaint about mine, so I assume people have no problems with it...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2009 at 8:02am
sorry no time to read all the above but there is one thing that bugs me.

the search engine. 

How are you meant to type for example 05 or 64? it needs to be improved to accept numbers

finally i think when a thread is started maybe you are required to first do a search on existing topics and post there so we dont keep repeating ourselves.

anyway thats my 2 cents
you are all doing a great job!
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2009 at 6:29pm
Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I have created the HOT DEALS / GREAT SPECIALS section here

Regarding the issues with the search engine on this forum, this is big ask as it requires major changes to the software. I did create a little search site that can help, as discussed in the thread here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24270&PN=1#288093

Any further suggestions on changes to improve this section?

Cheers guys!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2009 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

sorry no time to read all the above but there is one thing that bugs me.

the search engine. 

How are you meant to type for example 05 or 64? it needs to be improved to accept numbers

finally i think when a thread is started maybe you are required to first do a search on existing topics and post there so we dont keep repeating ourselves.

anyway thats my 2 cents
you are all doing a great job!

absolutely my problem ... say i want to search IQ or SP or XT or 64 or F3 ... and it wont let me do that !!!!
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 11:39am
I am more concerned about the quality of the search engine itself - 50% of the time it crashes or doesn't find the stuff which is obviously there.

Any chance on solving the problems?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 11:53am
I would think you have to update the software or use different templet.  Either way, its alot of work most likely to make a big change, or not loose parts of the data base. 
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 1:36pm
one thing i've noticed lately--the "post reply" function is very, very slow--slower than before.

also, before, when you typed in an URL, it was automatically "clickable," but now it isn't.  it would be nice if that could be fixed to make it like it was before.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I am more concerned about the quality of the search engine itself - 50% of the time it crashes or doesn't find the stuff which is obviously there.
Any chance on solving the problems?

I suspect it's not the software that's the problem, it's probably a server load or memory issue... this site and the database is getting quite big, putting a lot more pressure on the hardware resources.

In the mean time you can use the little site I've setup (mentioned a few posts up), if the forum search won't do the job. I've included a section where you can seach JUST the MYtt forum.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 1:14pm
That is a great search-site! Thanks, Alex!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 4:32am

Acces to the old forum? i think the old video links are active and maybe a chat so we can get faster feedback
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 4:36am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

That is a great search-site! Thanks, Alex!

video section could be arranged by years
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 4:41am
A good idea, but I can't do anything about this in the equipment sectionEmbarrassed Might want to propose it in the video section...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 4:58pm

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I have created the HOT DEALS / GREAT SPECIALS section here

Regarding the issues with the search engine on this forum, this is big ask as it requires major changes to the software. I did create a little search site that can help, as discussed in the thread here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24270&PN=1#288093

Any further suggestions on changes to improve this section?

Cheers guys!

Note: This thread is for genuine bargains or great specials only. It is NOT to be used as a free advertising section for your own (or friend's) gear, NOR should it be used by retailers to promote their goods. 

A forum member buys a new blade and he does not like it. He wants to sell it for half the price that he has paid for it. Isn't that a hot deal? Can't he list his product in the HOT DEALS thread because it is "free advertising" and he is not genuine?

In Essense, the forum members can't post their items in this thread. The members who have been selling in this forum for few years probably need a HOT DEALS section also.

stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 5:19pm
I actually agree with Varg here. I think the key word is "genuine". I beleive anybody should be allowed to post in this section including retailers but only if the deal is the "real deal", for example if certain retailer has decided to decrease inventory and sells below the regular price. What should not be allowed is the "fake" sale, example: I normally carry the specific blade/rubber for X amount of dollars, then today I change the price to 2X and declare the sale (100% off) which brings me back to the same regular price except now I declare "Huge sale... 100% off regular price..." etc....
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by stan1551 stan1551 wrote:

I actually agree with Varg here. I think the key word is "genuine". I beleive anybody should be allowed to post in this section including retailers but only if the deal is the "real deal", for example if certain retailer has decided to decrease inventory and sells below the regular price. What should not be allowed is the "fake" sale, example: I normally carry the specific blade/rubber for X amount of dollars, then today I change the price to 2X and declare the sale (100% off) which brings me back to the same regular price except now I declare "Huge sale... 100% off regular price..." etc....

Seems like Haggisv has PhD in "Advertising" Wink. He advertises "advertising" Wink. And the crowd goes crazy including me Cool.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:01pm

Note: This thread is for genuine bargains or great specials only. It is NOT to be used as a free advertising section for your own (or friend's) gear, NOR should it be used by retailers to promote their goods. 

A forum member buys a new blade and he does not like it. He wants to sell it for half the price that he has paid for it. Isn't that a hot deal? Can't he list his product in the HOT DEALS thread because it is "free advertising" and he is not genuine?

In Essense, the forum members can't post their items in this thread. The members who have been selling in this forum for few years probably need a HOT DEALS section also.

Well isn't the "for sale" section meant for exactly this?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by stan1551 stan1551 wrote:

If we open the door up to retailers promoting their own bargains here, it will ruin the thread IMO. How do you judge if it's real bargain or not? Is 10%, 20% or 50% a real bargain?... and 20% off what?... the original retails price which could be miles above the regular price already...

This is why I think it's left up to the members here to decide which are the genuine bargain, since the majority know what's real and what's not...

I think the "buy & sell" is more appropiate for selling your own persomal stuff... that's what it's meant for...and there you can clearly indicate when an item is sold as well...

Varg: You can keep questioning my exact wording on advertising for ever, as it will never be perfect or foolproof, and I'm sure many will not even read the guidelines... I'm trying to ptu something positive in place here, so how about we just give this thread a go instead, and if it has real problems, we can address them when they arise...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2009 at 9:53pm
Another suggestion I have is to update the "official equipment super sticky" stcikied at the top of this section, with a lot more stuff. A lot of the information in the "official useful link" thread from the General section should also be included in the thread here, as it applies very much to equipment...

There's no harm in having some of the links in both the general and the Equipment section, and more people are likely to see and make use of it... What do you think?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Mt.Biker E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mt.Biker E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 9:59am
Sub categories, especially for equipment would be nice & would make searching for information a whole lot easier.
The layout of the forum from a visual stand point looks like a wall of text. Changing this would also add to the ease of use while looking for information. As is its a little daunting to look at.
my 2 copper pieces
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2010 at 9:26pm
As always I think the moderation team or someone should create web books under headings. 

Book outlines are so lovely. eg.

title of book:
xiom Vega
sub headings
xiom vega pro
xiom vega euro etc

sub sub headings
which you find under xiom vega pro
xiom vega pro vs tenergy

and then at the bottom of that last one there should be a link to:

Butterlfy Tenergy
sub heading
tenergy 05
sub
t 64 etc

After being a few years we see the same topics brought up endlessly eg
tenergy 64 vs bryce speed

if this was easy to locate under heading for t 64 or bryce speed people could concentrate on expanding knowledge instead of repeating themselves
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2010 at 1:36am

This would be your book. My book is somewhat different. I also like Drupal and its advanced taxonomy system. Smile

ErikaT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2010 at 5:32am
i wish the Avatar can be bigger
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2010 at 6:31am

I think you should just put full size pictures under each comment you post, nobody would mind here.  We love your pictures. 

Well I do in the nicest way.

As for Imago you got me once more mate.  Ziveli we think the same.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 11:22pm
Congratulations to Alex, and the new look my table tennis.  

The major improvement is that you now have a youtube code embed button.  thats worth 1000 points and also it looks like a file upload.

good job
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2010 at 11:29pm
awesome !!
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Kalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 1:37am

Alex, the site is looking great Thumbs Up

Setup:

Blade:BTY Viscaria
FH:Andro Rasant (1,9 mm Blk)BH:Soulspin P12(1,8 mm Red)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic