FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback requested - Forum Improvements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feedback requested - Forum Improvements
    Posted: 01/18/2009 at 7:39pm
Firstly as newly elected moderator for this section, I'd like to thank everyone for your votes and posts in support! Although I never even considered nominating myself for it, I so flattered with the results, I decided to accept the position! I'm very happy that bull_harrier accepted my request to be a fellow moderator as well, as he's a great contributor here and I'm sure will be a good moderator as well! We will do our best to too look after this section, and hopefully can come up with some  improvement to make it even better.

This is where I'd like some feedback from the members here... What are the things that you currently like or don't like about this sections, and what would you like to see improved? Any ideas on how we can make this section  better?

I would personally like to see it a little more organised. Some of my ideas would be:

• Some of the most popular topics stickied at the top of the thread, at least during the time that they are of the greatest interest.
  • Encourage people to think a little more about the title of their post to make it a little more meaningful and also encourage them to post in the right section. This makes it a lot easier and quicker to find stuff, and you're more likely to get answers to your questions as well.

I'm not looking to make major changes here, as things are running quite well, but if we can tweak things a little to make some improvements, we all win in the end...

So I'm keen to hear your ideas, or to hear if you like my ideas listed above... Please post any feedback or ideas in this thread, or PM myself or bull_harrier if you prefer to discuss things privately...

Cheers guys!!!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 8:31pm
Since you have experience with running tt forums before or now, you can share some of your past experiences, changes, so the members here can choose something from them that they like to see here in this forum also implemented.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 8:41pm
instead of people posting topics like "need help" or "big problem"
be more specific in the title so that we can read it off straightaway, and we know we can help or not, rather than going into the thread and reading one massive paragraph of "oh this aint working blah blah"
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 8:42pm
Thanks for taking the mod position haggisv!     I like the way your forum is organized.  Something along those lines would work good here.  
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 8:55pm

A thread has been created for the guys who have dealt with me to provide some feedback. The thread has ended up with irrelavant posts.

How have you handled such situations in your experience?

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 9:21pm
Varg....good point on keeping to the topic of thread.  Seems pretty hard to control without deleting the off point postings....that is how most well run forums do it though. 
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 9:27pm
Thanks for the feedback guys!

varghesep: I think a small number of irrelevant posts is to be expected, and most people don't mind this... If it get too far out of hand, a simple and friendly post within the thread, requesting to get back on track is usually enough... This would usually be done by the person that started the thread, or in this case, it could be yourself since it's about you and effects you most.

If it does not work, you can request the mod for that section to look into it, and perhaps post a firmer warning or PM if required... Usually a friendly reminder is all that's required, as most people do the right thing...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
77g33k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77g33k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 10:29pm
How about a better search system and remove the "posts reaper" that would devour posts more than 4 months old.
Messing opponents with their own spins.
----------------------------------------------------
Main:
Sunflex Pro
Rubbers:Focus III/Nitakku Express

Back-up:
Globe Whirlwind
Rubbers:Palio CJ8000/DHS 652
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2009 at 10:44pm
Thanks for your thoughts 99g33k! These are things that perhaps admin can look at as it would apply to the whole forum...

You can already use a search engines such as google to search for results JUST within this forum, by going to google.com and type in

site:http://mytabletennis.net your-search-words

where
"your-search-words" is the phrase you want to search for.

As far the "post reaper" is concerned, I was not aware this was implimented, as I've seen posts much older than 4 months... perhaps it's only implimented in certain section... it's is sometimes done to conserve space... Can admin advice on this?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 12:54am
The problem is that there is a limit on search terms. I understand technically why terms less that 3 characters will wreak havoc on the DB processors/sub systems (especially since it seems to be a microsoft implementation) But it is limiting. For instance ST Handle Korbel returns a request for an amended search.

Then I search for straight handle korbel
and after 30 seconds, I get this:

Server Error in Forum Application
An error has occured while executing SQL query on database.
Please contact the forum administrator.

Support Error Code:- err_SQLServer_get_search_results_data
File Name:- search_process.asp

Error details:-
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Timeout expired

So instead of finding something to do with a ST handle Korbel, I have to either post a thread, or modify my search to a much wider criteria and hope that I will be able to find out more about my interests.

So the most important thing in my mind is finding a more powerful, less faulty search feature. Then I would be less inclined to A clog the equipment section with useless posts, B less inclined to go to another forum to find my answers. Finally, the result of having a decent search feature is that I can learn and post only relevant issues or questions. Anyone concur?
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 12:59am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts 99g33k! These are things that perhaps admin can look at as it would apply to the whole forum...

You can already use a search engines such as google to search for results JUST within this forum, by going to google.com and type in

where

As far the "post reaper" is concerned, I was not aware this was implimented, as I've seen posts much older than 4 months... perhaps it's only implimented in certain section... it's is sometimes done to conserve space... Can admin advice on this?

I guess I could do this:

site:http://mytabletennis.net ST Handle Korbel

It is a bit cumbersome, but it works ok.

Since we are talking about making THIS site better...I just thought this would be the #1 thing on most ppls list. So if I was making a request, it would be either a replacement search feature or better integration with a Google type search.

Thanks for asking!LOL
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 1:05am
I think the biggest problem with MYTT is the small percentage of rotten members, who are disrespectful. If we can turn around some of them and turn away the unturnable . . . the site will be a more pleasant experience for all . . . especially female members, who are virtually non-existent. 
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 1:11am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

where

The problem is not how old the thread is.  Actually it is how old the last post on that thread is.  The thread (the opening post) can be old, but if people keep posting before the reaper appears that thread will continue to live and be findable via the search.  I guess this is an unavoidable situation as the database will grow out of control if there is no a time limit (thread life expectancy) imposed.  Anyway...

Personally I would like to see a bigger PM box.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 1:44am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I think the biggest problem with MYTT is the small percentage of rotten members, who are disrespectful. If we can turn around some of them and turn away the unturnable . . . the site will be a more pleasant experience for all . . . especially female members, who are virtually non-existent. 

...some take the issues outside of this forum too to take "vengeance"... It's dirty when it goes out of the forum...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 1:47am
Varghesep,
I've actually come close to taking it outside, I must admit. I have been pushed to that point a few times. I just think there needs to be a code of conduct like the 10 commandments . . . #1 being RESPECT!!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2009 at 1:57am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

Varghesep,
I've actually come close to taking it outside, I must admit. I have been pushed to that point a few times. I just think there needs to be a code of conduct like the 10 commandments . . . #1 being RESPECT!!!

I did not think about it. But you did not have an option but to find out the blade.

I was talking about my own cases.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 10:59pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Since I'm only a moderator here, I can't impliment some of the suggestions here, but i can suggest them to admin.

We can certainly encourage people here to choose meaningful and appropriate title of their posts, and I'll make an effort to suggest this to members that don't do this.

I agree it's most important to ensure people here show each other respect in their posts... this would solve almost all forum arguments...
A code of conduct is not a bad idea tommyzai, but I believe that those people that are disrecptful, are usually alos the ones that don't read rules or abide by them...Confused

As moderators we'll try and keep a close eye on all the thread in this section, and send a friendly reminder to those that are disrespectful in their posts... we can all help here by notifying one of the mods when this happens...

Any more suggestions for improvements, especially for this equipment section? Cheers!

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 12:33pm
I am still irritated when opening a thread and being sent directly to the last post. Angry
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by pongcrazy pongcrazy wrote:

I am still irritated when opening a thread and being sent directly to the last post. Angry

Agreed. If you want to see the last posts, just switch to view last posts first.
tatapx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatapx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:41pm
Site is still using Web Wiz Forums version 8.05. Maybe time to upgrade to the latest version 9.54

Some features where added in v9.54. Also easier to embed youtube videos, by simply clicking the new movie button. Or you can add by using tags.

http://forums.webwizguide.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26764
"Go to where the ball is going, not to where it is."
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 10:17pm
Interesting... I had wondered what forum software was used here...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
robjkc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robjkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 10:34pm
I'd like to see a "Blade Making" forum.  I know of a German site which has one, but my German isn't that good Wink

Also, I don't like how you are automatically sent to the bottom of a topic.  I like to start reading from the top.  Maybe you can make this configurable by the user.

I also agree on fixing the search and updating the software for the site.
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2009 at 6:13am

+1
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
Thot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2009 at 5:03pm
- offopic posts in a thread should be removed
- merge double-triple consecutive posts, the number of posts doesn't improve your tt skills
- the signature shouldn't be bigger than 5-6 rows or even less, also huge pictures in signature are annoying
- usually the same topics reappear after some time: varnishing/sealing blade, cleaning rubbers, this should be archived somewhere and the new comers in case they don't know how to use the search function they should be redirected there and the post should be delete
- it would be nice to have on the first page a letter or a symbol at the beginning of posts to indicate if it's video, equipment or offtopic
- search button should redirect to google Big%20smile

stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 2:01pm
I have a suggestion. I've seen on other forums (not TT) the thread - hot sales/hot deals. If you see some sales/good deals going on - let other people on the forum know about it. This would benefit mostly EJs, but other folks as well. This could be a permanent thread. I am not sure which section it should go to, may be SALES?... You, mods, decide.....
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Thot Thot wrote:

- merge double-triple consecutive posts, the number of posts doesn't improve your tt skills
- the signature shouldn't be bigger than 5-6 rows or even less, also huge pictures in signature are annoying
- usually the same topics reappear after some time: varnishing/sealing blade, cleaning rubbers, this should be archived somewhere and the new comers in case they don't know how to use the search function they should be redirected there and the post should be delete
- it would be nice to have on the first page a letter or a symbol at the beginning of posts to indicate if it's video, equipment or offtopic

what he said!  

Also,  I wish that this page was more like the home page for viewing threads and topics. 

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum.asp

I consider that the home page.  You can not get to it when you are in a category without going back to the actual home page.  I find that frustrating and annoying. 

Maybe the search function will work better with new version? 
Imzadim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imzadim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

Agreed. If you want to see the last posts, just switch to view last posts first.

Same here. It's very annoying!
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Thot Thot wrote:

Some very good point there, thanks Thot!

I agree, they should be moved to the correct section or removed completely if it's unrelated

I agree and will fix this, and remind the posters when it happens.

I agree and I also find this a little annoying on occasions, as it makes the thread ahrder to read. This is a forum issue though that perhaps the admins can take aboard...

Yes I suggested we 'sticky' some of these topics at the top of this section.

Again these are admin areas, that i cannot control as a mod, but can suggest to adim to consider...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by stan1551 stan1551 wrote:

I have a suggestion. I've seen on other forums (not TT) the thread - hot sales/hot deals. If you see some sales/good deals going on - let other people on the forum know about it. This would benefit mostly EJs, but other folks as well. This could be a permanent thread. I am not sure which section it should go to, may be SALES?... You, mods, decide.....

Not a bad idea at all, but we'd have to be careful as such a section can also be easily abused by sellers/retailers to promote their products. I think the deals should only be posted by members that don't have any ties to the retailer/sellers that offer the "Hot Deals"... ie. don't post your own hot dealsBig%20smile
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2009 at 8:49pm
Yes, this is exactly what I meant.... Though TT shops dont have sales as often as electronics/computers shops but they do happen...

I recall some time ago I got a blade from one of the TT shop just to realize 2 days later that I could get the same blade from another shop (normally more expensive one) much cheaper since they had a sale going on at the same time.... I was like "S..T"....

Although for me, personally, $20-$30 does not make a huge difference, but it is still money. Why pay more if you can avoid it? And, for some folks, who have low income, like students/school kids/unemployed - this is big savings....
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic