14 [29.17%]
1 [2.08%]
33 [68.75%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your opinion on short shorts
    Posted: 01/20/2009 at 7:50pm
I, personnaly, find it disgusting the degree of short shorts players like Jean-Michel Saive wear.  I dont wear them and never will what say you?
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
Sponsored Links

zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:05pm
I'm the guy who voted "People can wear what they want". It doesn't bother me at all, they're...shorts, and i don't really pay attention to it ; ) Whatever people need to play their A-game.
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:07pm
But the immage of a sport is still important
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:16pm
a disgusting look would be wearing just tight spandex,

short shorts r fine, give u mobility, whatever makes them happy and play well.
my lucky shirt is always a blue one
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:18pm
Hum well ok then, I still dont like the sight of old guys in short shorts
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:18pm
saive's are a little strange, but people can wear whatever they want, IMO.  i would rather have people wear short shorts than show up to play with jeans or really thin tank tops where armpit sweat douses the tables.  most of the pros, men and women, have really muscular legs, so nothing hideous about short shorts.

when that's all i have that is not dirty, i wear some running shorts to play tt.  sometimes i think it makes me move faster to have my legs all unhindered by normal length shorts :).  one thing i will not wear is the short shorts without an internal lining. i mean, with some of those when you sit down..... you get the picture!
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:32pm

They might be ok for C-Dub.....but not for me. Confused

But you did not say...for Men or Women....or both?  lol

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:36pm
haha
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:48pm
Saive wears normal shorts but rolls them up because he doesn't like how they feel, i'm sure if it was up to him he'd play in tidy whiteys.  But this doesn't hurt the image of the sport, the short shorts allow for more comfortable range of motion.  Would you criticize a runner for wearing short shorts?
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
RHE! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RHE! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 9:29pm
Even professional football/soccer has gone away from the short shorts aka C-Dub's Daisy Dukes. I watched 08 Olympic TT with my wife and she thought Saive was wearing a baby onesie.
Primary: Tihbar IV-L Balsa (DHS Hurricane 3/Armstrong Attack 8)
Back-up: Nittaku Acoustic (DHS Hurricane 3/Armstrong Attack 8)
RHE! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RHE! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 9:30pm
Even professional football/soccer has gone away from the short shorts aka C-Dub's Daisy Dukes. I watched 08 Olympic TT with my wife and she thought Saive was wearing a baby onesie. She did like the Japanese team's use of skorts/skirts instead of the shorts.
Primary: Tihbar IV-L Balsa (DHS Hurricane 3/Armstrong Attack 8)
Back-up: Nittaku Acoustic (DHS Hurricane 3/Armstrong Attack 8)
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 9:53pm
I prefer to wear short shorts just to show off my beautiful legs...
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
Robert Trudell View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Trudell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

But the immage of a sport is still important

When I was growing up we made fun of old men wearing long Bermuda shorts.

I think fashion sense is burned-in in Junior High to High School age and whatever is the fad then sticks with those as what they are comfortable with.

--Rob
www.Outpost81.com

pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 10:33pm
as long as it a nice lookin girl wearing the short shorts.....no prob

but us men ....just look ridiculous.....and even gives are sport a geek factor

i say ittf should ban men wearing shorts that are to shortApprove.

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

radical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 10:34pm
I vote for bicycle shorts.

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 11:02pm
Please notice that mainly North Americans are objecting to this attire. This is particularly tied with the personal insecurities that are so spread in US and I guess Canada.

I come from Europe, so I don't care about types of shorts. I prefer to wear light closes on the court as well instead of tripping over long shorts and tee shirts, like some of the street basketball players....

Besides, when I play the game, I look at the orange ball and not the player's clothing.
Back to table tennis...
t3h anarchist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t3h anarchist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 11:09pm
jm saive kidn of over does it, but regular ones like wlq and wh are fine
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2009 at 11:56pm
People can wear what they want, but I personally don't like them.

Pro tennis players don't wear shorts that short, neither do pro soccer players as someone pointed out above. Long shorts don't have to look like street ball basketball shorts.

Its what all the pros in Asia and Europe have been wearing for years, and its not going to change. But its not helping to make tt any more popular in the US, that's for sure.

A decent rec tt player (a good tennis player) looked at a pro tt match I was watching and the first thing out of his mouth was "why are they wearing those shorts...?"

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 12:25am
Kinda old fashion. I don't notice it, but a lot of other people do. They can be a little longer and still not restrict. 
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 12:31am
I voted for people to wear what they wish.  But I would deffinately vote against Blue jeans most of all.  I would prefer everyone to wear shorts, but no biggie. 

I mean, for me, I'm not proud of my legs so I don't wear those extremely short ones where all your stuff is showing.  But, I don't like long basketball shorts either.  These are what I wear, still probably considered short shorts. 

popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 12:38am
They don't look good on men, but it's a lot easier to crouch and stuff, which is important.
STILL I THINK THEY SHOULD BE BANNED!!! Young kids these days take one look at timo boll playing, and once they see he's wearing short shorts, they will play basketball
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 4:01am
Saive would be a lot better for the sport if he didn't wear those shorts. His play is exciting but I avoid showing him to non-TT people because they will not focus on the play.
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 4:09am
Short shorts are good for mobility and movement...

And yes, Saive should get longer shorts because he always grabs the left one and it goes really high and you can see everything O_O

Anyway we shouldn't pay much attention to them, people can wear what they want.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
brytaku25 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brytaku25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 4:53am
Short Shorts looks like diapers if you see it in one way. "Cough see Timo Boll Training"  I like to wear anything comfortable but still I prefer shorts that have a large percent of cotton.
See you guys in the next life!...................
abshadow15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abshadow15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 6:13am
i wear shorts half to an inch higher my dark knees....lol...i just love good feeling shorts..
CURRENT SET-UP:
blade: Donic Black Devil
FH: BWII
BH: Sriver L
lauge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 6:45am
LOL are you serious? I didn't really notice the length of short until this thread I think it tells more about you than people who wares them Smile And what's up the Saive those shorts are more like hot pants. ...thanks, now I've also started noticing shorts on the players Angry
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:06am

people can where whatever they want

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 7:06am

people can wear whatever they want

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 10:24am
Ok people......that think you need short shorts to move and not be restricted. 

Manufactures for a long time now have been making shorts and shirts with extremely light weight and highly breathable fabrics.  

I love my Adadis ATS DRY shorts and shirts. The shorts are kind of mid long length, but feel like I almost have nothing on because they are so light and airy feeling.  I do not like any type of restrictive clothing.  I could never stand to wear cotton t-shirts while playing TT.

With that said...wear what you want.....

radical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 10:30am
From the USATT web site:
3.2.2 Playing Clothing
Playing clothing shall normally consist of a short-sleeved
or sleeveless shirt and shorts or skirt or one-part sports
outfits, socks and playing shoes; other garments, such as
part or all of a track suit, shall not be worn during play
except with the permission of the referee

So I would think that bicycle shorts should be allowed?  The only one-part sports outfits I have seen so far are the bicycle suits for girls. 

Does anyone here have personal experience with crazy outfits at national tournaments.  Seems to me that I heard a couple of years ago that some players dress up oddly on purpose at national tournaments.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic