Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Timo Boll ZLC vs ZLF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2009 at 1:35pm
Yeah that's about the right price. $200 for the cpen non-limited ed. and about $240 for the cpen limited edition.
Sponsored Links

speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2009 at 6:45pm
How about the flex and feel (hard/soft)?
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2009 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

How about the flex and feel (hard/soft)?

Based on my experience, feel is almost the same between ZLF and ZLC with ZLF having a shade better feel (read slightly higher flex). I am seriously considering switching over to ZLF. Schlager Carbon has never been the same since giving up Bryce FX (with speed glue) and moving on to Tenergy. The main difference I found between ZLF and ZLC is that with ZLF, I don't have to close the paddle angle as much as with ZLC particularly when counter looping.

I was considering Boll ALC, ZLF and ZLC. After some extended testing, I narrowed it down to ALC and ZLF. I am very likely to decide to go with ZLF.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2009 at 3:12am
Can you explain why you ruled out the ZLC? I'm between ZLC and ZLF. My experience with Photino (ZLF) and Mizutani (ZLC) was quite positive however  I can't say I like the arylate-carbon feel that much.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2009 at 10:09am
BTW, is ALC faster or slower than ZLF? Actually it doesn't mayyer much if the speed differences between those are tiny.

Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2009 at 10:13am

Can you explain why you ruled out the ZLC? I'm between ZLC and ZLF.

The reason for ruling out ZLC was not because it was a bad blade. It is pretty darn good, I would say. But ZLC with Tenergy-05 required the paddle angle to be closed down for counter looping while ZLF behaved very similar to what I used to do with Bryce FX speed glued on Schlager Carbon. It was just a matter of familiarity thing.

I could've easily gone with ZLC and adjusted my game. But since ZLF was giving me what I was looking for, I didn't go that route.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2009 at 12:54pm
Strange.. So what you're saying is that the ZLC is higher throw than ZLF?

Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2009 at 7:49pm

BTW, is ALC faster or slower than ZLF? Actually it doesn't mayyer much if the speed differences between those are tiny.

ALC and ZLF appear to me to exhibit same speed characteristics. ZLC is definitely faster than both of them but not super fast like Schlager Carbon.
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2009 at 7:54pm

Strange.. So what you're saying is that the ZLC is higher throw than ZLF?

It sure is strange. The difference in throw angle was my first suspicion. But that does not appear to be the case when you do some controlled testing. It could be because of a combination of speed and dwell time. I don't know what the reason is but ZLC certainly needed me to close the angle bit more for counter looping compared to ALC and ZLF.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2009 at 5:13pm
Anymore feedback on these? or even ALC?
vttp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vttp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 2:19pm
i got a question about the rubbers, if anyone here can give me some ideas. Right now i have ZLF with joola tango on my forehand and yasaka mark v on my backhand, but i don't feel it's fast enough. Is there any rubbers that match well with my ZLF besides those Tenergiesss????

Thanks
Blade : Butterfly ZLF. Flared.
Forehand Rubber: Donic Coppa JO Gold. Max
Backhand Rubber: Butterfly Bryce (2.1mm)
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 8:18pm
wttp > You should try Joola Energ, it's an improvement  of Joola Tango, more speed, more spin.
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
vttp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vttp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 11:44pm
thank u , vivan4tt. i look at the reviews of joola energy and it sounds like most people like it.it's like u said , good spin and speed. i might try it on whenever i have money to get it. 
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2009 at 4:47am
Off topic question, howz joola energy for backhand?
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
joolafire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joolafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2009 at 7:35am
It depends on your preferences and style. Energy is medium firm, and has has a medium throw angle, so it has a good balance overall. So if you like those type of characteristics, then it will be good for your forehand or backhand.
.: JOOLA WING FAST :.
.: JOOLA ENERGY X-TRA :.
.: JOOLA EXPRESS 2 :.
Vivant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2009 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by vttp vttp wrote:

i got a question about the rubbers, if anyone here can give me some ideas. Right now i have ZLF with joola tango on my forehand and yasaka mark v on my backhand, but i don't feel it's fast enough. Is there any rubbers that match well with my ZLF besides those Tenergiesss????

Thanks

Hi vttp,

May I suggest giving Roxon 450 a try? I use it on my ALC and it works absolutely wonders.

Or another good one would be Xiom Zeta. Both are very controllable and quite fast, faster than the MarkV for sure.
Timo Boll ALC
FH: Roxon 450
BH: Butterfly Sriver G3

Kreanga Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Andro Plasma 470
vttp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vttp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 4:12am
thx Vivant. but, i 've never heard of Roxon. is it one of the tt brand? like joola, or butterfly? and where can u get Xiom Zeta. i guess it would be more than 30 bucks, isn't it?  Anyway, i would tell a friend of mine about this combination too. because he is now using ZLC and he doesn't like his striver on both , forehand and backhand. he said it's too fast for him to control the ball . Again, thx u for ur suggestion.

Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 4:24am

thx Vivant. but, i 've never heard of Roxon. is it one of the tt brand?

It is made by Andro.

where can u get Xiom Zeta. i guess it would be more than 30 bucks, isn't it?

Yes, it costs around $30 - $32. Available at many online stores. Simply do a Google search on "XIOM ZETA" My understanding (though I am not 100% sure), it comes in two different sponge types. Don't know if one is common and the other rare with a higher price tag.

jeannn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeannn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 5:38am
Xiom Zeta     www.ping4life.ca
Vivant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Takadigi Takadigi wrote:

Yes, it costs around $30 - $32. Available at many online stores. Simply do a Google search on "XIOM ZETA" My understanding (though I am not 100% sure), it comes in two different sponge types. Don't know if one is common and the other rare with a higher price tag.

Yes, the Zeta does come in two versions. The Asian version is harder and more powerful than the European version, which is softer for more control. The Asian version is designed for those who like the characteristics of a chinese rubber, but it is of great quality and consistency, unlike some chinese ones that may lack this.

Vttp, note that Andor Roxon comes in 450 and 500 Pro. The 450 is softer and more forgiving, whilst the 500 Pro is the faster rubber, by experience it is quite hard to fully utilise its potential unless you're a top notch and confident player. Looping is much an effort, but the 450 has the glued 'click' sound great control.
Timo Boll ALC
FH: Roxon 450
BH: Butterfly Sriver G3

Kreanga Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Andro Plasma 470
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 3:28am
I have become very interested in the zlf now that I see people posting weights around 80g.

Dam I hate it when stores show you there weights and you make a decision to get something else but you would have considered it if you knew.

where did you get your zlf at 80g? Anyone else got one at that weight or lower?

Now this is the most important question.  Obviously it is slower than most the top carbon offensive blades and as said here zlf is for looping.  I am currently wanting to speed up my backhand again and considering bryce speed.  Do you think bryce speed would work on this blade?  would it make up for some of the loss of power?  And since Bryce speed is hard to spin up with do you think this higher dwell blade would help.   How effective would punching or driving be with the zlf with a faster rubber such as bryce speed. 

I really want to get one now.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
nickkjy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickkjy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 10:09am
zlf is good with fast or soft rubber
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 10:28am
can you compare zlf and zlc with nittaku acoustic in softness and in fast?
thanks
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by jackass22 jackass22 wrote:

can you compare zlf and zlc with nittaku acoustic in softness and in fast?
thanks

IMO, I think the Acoustic is slightly softer but faster.  However, ZLF has more power in the mid distance and third zone attack.

I never played ZLC so I don't know.

wictoriouz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wictoriouz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2009 at 3:27pm
HI,

i wrote a topic about the alc and the alc...
And now it's against zlf and zlc, which one is best to server with?
i win alot of points thanks to my serves.
How much does the ZLF vibrate? If it doesnt vibarate that much i will buy it! Smile
Current setup:
Ma Lin Soft Carbon
FH: Haifu whale 2 MAX black
BH: Donic desto F3 Bslam
Glue: free chack

alextran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alextran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 11:23am
I will buy all of the blades in Timo Boll series to try:D. Thanks super_tt for a great review
Timo Boll ZLC FL
Forehand Bryce Speed FX
Backhand Bryce
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2009 at 4:19pm

Even though I said I would give the ZLF a 5 week season - I have given up on it after 3 weeks.

Reason:

1.  Too hard (difficult) to hit through a higer ball (this should be simple)
2. Bit too slow at the table
3. Very slow away from the table

if anyone wants mine in Australia let me know - its in perfect condition.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
sunnyboyshines View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyboyshines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2010 at 11:42pm
I have started using the Timo Boll ZLF now.. with Tenergy 64 on forehand (for good mid-distance looping) and Sriver EL on backhand.. for the best possible control.. I must say this is a deadly combination..

The topspin has become effortless in this blade.. you can feel the way the blade absorbs the ball with increased dwell time.. the  tenergy produces the necessary catapult action..

Even though the topspin is effortless, for aa person like me who puts lot of topspin on the balls, this blade has become deadly.. opponents are not able to block the ball after the amount of turn that is generated after tha ball bounces on the table...
Butterfly Gergely with Mark V
Just Explode!
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 9:35am
Originally posted by sunnyboyshines sunnyboyshines wrote:

.. opponents are not able to block the ball after the amount of turn that is generated after tha ball bounces on the table...
This tells us something about the class of opponents, not really about the blade.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

Even though I said I would give the ZLF a 5 week season - I have given up on it after 3 weeks.

Reason:

1.  Too hard (difficult) to hit through a higer ball (this should be simple)
2. Bit too slow at the table
3. Very slow away from the table

if anyone wants mine in Australia let me know - its in perfect condition.

Hey bozbrisvegas!
I like your videos and your style of play!
However, the ZLF is not a slow blade at all! It may be slow in comparison to the blade you are used to, but it is still fast and for sure to fast for most people around here (like the TBS and the ALC, and all the hinoki outer carbon blades)!
Most of the top rated (top 20) players both in Denmark and in Switzerland still use all wood blades! And they do not lack power (the shots of the players)!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic