Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy in 1.9

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy in 1.9
    Posted: 02/25/2009 at 11:06am
Anyone played with 64 or 05 in 1.9
How did you find it?
How does it play compared to 2.1?
I am thinking about putting 1.9 on balsa carbo 64 bh and 05 fh
I normally play with max
Balsacarbo X5
BH:Tenergy 05 2.1
FH:Tenergy 05 2.1

TPS Balsa 8.5
Avalox Pronte 2.0 FH and BH
Sponsored Links

ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 11:17am
I had played with 1.9mm T05 on FH and it does not seem to be fast and spinny as 2.1.  And the weight is not that much different either.

However, I also had played 2.1 mm T64 on BH before and just tried 1.7mm T64 last night.  1.7mm T64 seems to be enough for chopping, blocking, and loop once in a while.  However, the weight is significantly lighter.

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 11:53am
I used 1.9 05 on a soft/flexy hinoki OFF blade and it was great... I put 2.1 05 on the same blade and it started to be a little mushy and the throw angle was at critical mass... too much dwell for hitting those over-the-table shots when you have a small window of opportunity and need instant feedback.

Similarly, I had 1.9 on a Arylate Carbon blade and I wasn't getting enough dwell compared to 2.1. With 1.9 I was getting a little too much blade on my shots not enough sponge, so the shots were flatter. Harder to loop with.

But I'm talking about minute differences. 1.9 is good for softer blades. 2.1 is good for harder blades.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by ThaiLe ThaiLe wrote:

I had played with 1.9mm T05 on FH and it does not seem to be fast and spinny as 2.1.  And the weight is not that much different either.

However, I also had played 2.1 mm T64 on BH before and just tried 1.7mm T64 last night.  1.7mm T64 seems to be enough for chopping, blocking, and loop once in a while.  However, the weight is significantly lighter.

I've never looked, but I never thought that T65 would even be available in 1.7!  Wow.  It's supposed to be this crazy fast and spinny sponge for the aggressive offensive players, then I hear it's available in 1.7.

Does it come in anything smaller...?
IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:07am
I couldn't really tell much/any difference on the BH so I kept 1.9 as it cuts 2 or 3 grams off the overall weight.
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 10:57am
Originally posted by IAmI IAmI wrote:

I couldn't really tell much/any difference on the BH so I kept 1.9 as it cuts 2 or 3 grams off the overall weight.

That is almost the case with me too. The difference in speed is so small that it really does not matter. Hence, I just continued with 1.9 on BH. I still have one of my blades with 1.9 on both sides. Occasionally, as I pick that one, I can hardly tell the difference.
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 3:01pm
what about the difference in spin
looping capability etc?
Is that noticeably different with 1.9?
Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
ibupro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibupro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Swiffers Swiffers wrote:

I've never looked, but I never thought that T65 would even be available in 1.7!  Wow.  It's supposed to be this crazy fast and spinny sponge for the aggressive offensive players, then I hear it's available in 1.7.

Does it come in anything smaller...?

Even skinny sponges like to loop!  Tongue
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 8:52pm
Ive talked about this elsewhere since dandoy gave 1.9 05 instead of the 2.1.

There is no point in using 1.9.

If you want less spin and speed just go to another rubber.  I agree with almost everything said on this post.  It's like why would you use Bryce in 1.3?  Don't expect the speed ratings to have any meaning!

2.1 on all wood is mushy.

Although I think 64 might be nice as driving and punching solely rubber at 1.9, but I would still go to bryce speed or fx for these purposes first.

Also agree there is no weight difference between 1.9 and 2.1 for 05 because I believe the topsheet is very heavy and full of pips.

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 12:04am
Originally posted by blockfast blockfast wrote:

what about the difference in spin
looping capability etc?
Is that noticeably different with 1.9?

Spin is more noticeable compared to speed. So, naturally, looping is better as well particularly because you can now loop a little harder. That is precisely the reason I switched to 2.1 on my forehand. Since, I only tend to open with flicks from my backhand (not a big BH looper), never bothered to switch it on BH. But when I get my next set of rubbers, I am likely to get all 2.1 both for FH and BH.
IAmI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAmI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 2:49am
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

There is no point in using 1.9.

Please give Ovtcharov a call. I don't think he knows.

2.1 on all wood is mushy.

What a statement.

Also agree there is no weight difference between 1.9 and 2.1 for 05 because I believe the topsheet is very heavy and full of pips.

Yes there is. I've gone through two sheets so far, one was 2 and the other was 3 grams lighter than 2.1mm. Cut to size that is.

Is it me or were you in a really bad mood writing this post? To me it comes off pretty arrogant bozbrisvegas Confused If you've never played with "see topic title" and you've never weighed "see topic title" you should probably refrain from making uninformed comments.
IFZLC
FH T05 2.1mm
BH O4a max
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 5:08am
2.1 on both sides feels heavier than 1.9, maybe cause weight and aerodynamics and mental. They play very very very similar. If you were blindfolded and hit with both, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell.
2.1 may be a tad spinner than 1.9, very very close though. Also a little tad more dwell. When you are loop killing very hard, 2.1 feels little better.
All in all, they are pretty much the same rubber. My advice to you, choose the size depending on your blade. For example, if you have a thick blade get 1.9. And if you have a blade that is too thin for you hands, go 2.1.
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 5:41am
Balsacarbo X5 blade is soft but has those carbon layers to stiffen up the harder shots. Its thicker than a wood blade but not really thick.
Seems like I could go either way from the advice offered. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and try one or the other.
Thanks for the advice guys.
Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 6:48pm

IamI you seem arrogant to me too so dont worry. Now I am in a bad mood, due to your  baseless post.

Maybe you are in a bad mood to be writing such personal replies to me today? Take it out of context and everything is easy to pick apart.  

Companies spend so much money on research to develop minute improvements in speed and spin and pass this cost onto us.  Instead of taking on this cost there is already a technology called: Maximum thickness the rubber can be.
there is no point in using 1.9 in such an expensive, heavy, spinny and fast rubber, when you can get the same performance from almost any other brand.  If you havent experimented with this ask ovcharov doesnt he use donic?
I think you should call Ovcharov and find out from him personally if he uses tenergy 1.9 on his backhand and then show us the proof that he does.
Because the topic is 1.9 in tenergy if you didnt read the post title.

When you say "what a statement" I also think "what a statement". It is a waste of space if you cant say anything. 
    I am not the first nor last person to have said that something feels mushy.  If you don't understand English maybe I could put into a thesis.  "In my opinion, and as many other have stated, the amount of dwell in 05 is increased past the point of having an advantage, when coupled with a blade which also has a high degree of dwell......"

I would agree with other posts that 1.9 tenergy is better on a wood blade because that increases the spin to a comfortable level for looping the ball onto the table.  Where the 2.1 can do it on a carbon blade with more speed. 
Personally speaking: I love the most amount of spin you can get but then find this becomes hard to deal with when the other player has amazingly spinny serves.  Also too mushy is harder to just smack the ball. 

your research is so in depth and well researched.  You have gone through 2 sheets. Oh my god! I have also gone through 2 sheets of 05 1.9 and have weighed every sheet of 2.1 in 05 and 64 which is about 15 sheets.  There are differences of 3 grams in the same thickness and same brand.

You might as well use 64 because its 3 grams lighter and less spin.  Or bryce fx because its 5 grams lighter $15 cheaper and has less spin.

Have I offended you in the past IAMI?  Or is it that you have never read anything about how much of an experimenter I am with tenergy in particular?

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 4:28am

Any thoughts about whether there is any significant difference in spin when serving with 1.9?

I will make a decision tomorrow and will let you all know how I get on.

At the moment I am thinking about 1.9 64 on bachand which I am thinking should send my blocks back fast, allow controlled pushes and give me the spin I want for backhand serves.

I am torn between 1.9 and 2.1 05 on FH. But I think I will go for 1.9 because BCX5 is a soft blade. I like to flat hit to finish a point, and posts so far don't seem to indicate that I won't lose much on the loop. This is how I have made sense of all your helpful posts. Does it make sense to you?

Any final thoughts on the serve in particular or in general appreciated, and as I say I will let you all know how it plays.
Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 5:56am
Would you please weigh your Tenergy 1.9 before you cut it, and let us know.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2009 at 7:21am
I�ve played 1.9 on my backhand and switched to 2.1 because of felt a little slow.  Both feel around the same weight and speed, perhaps a little bit spin, but the difference isn�t huge at all.

The main problem is that using two sheets of 2.1 thickness feel head-heavy whatever blade you stick with.

Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 4:55am
OK
Rubbers ordered
I decided on 1.9 64 backhand
and 1.9 05 forehand
I'll let you know how it goes

Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 5:55am
I've T64 2.1 on backhand. It is very good on mid distance and far from the table. Close to the table it is not so easy to control. So, I agree with butterfly that says T64 is good for mid distance.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 11:57am
Is '64 good for mid-distance hitting or spinning?
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 8:11am
Rubbers arrived

Weights as follows
Tenergy 05 1.9 uncut 68g
Tenergy 64 1.9 uncut 52g
Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 8:41am
hmmm
not sure about those weights
Just weighed something else and it didn't seem right
Will check
Neverthess the difference between 05 and 64 is quite stark

Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2009 at 9:13am
Weighed

Balsa carbo X5
1.9 64 Tenergy
1.9 05 Tenergy

and it comes to 184 grams
Wont play with it until tomorrow but it feels really balanced and not at all top heavy
Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2009 at 11:24am
It's not good to see people having arrogant statements (IAmI).
bozbrisvegas spent so much time, through many posts, writing interesting things about the Tenergys. Respect folks, respect.
By the way, i think Tenergy 2.1 is definitely better for carbon blades.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/07/2009 at 11:39am
thanks
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2009 at 2:39pm
I played with the 05 and 64 1.9 today

I started with O5 on the forehand and 64 on the backhand
Within half an hour I had reversed them and loved the outome.

64 on the forehand gave me lethal loop drives which seemed to land on the table right from the start. My block was crisp and fast. Pushes stayed low and I could flat hit accurately with power. Best rubbers I have tried on my forehand. 1.9 played really nicely on the balsa carbo X5. It really balanced.

On the backhand I was worried that the high throw 05 would limit my block but it was fine. All stayed on the table, but not as fast or as crisp as the 64. I like the hard rubber for a controlled back hand block. With a closed bat angle it gave me a reliable backhand loop.
So all in all I was happy with the decision to go with 1.9.

I might try 2.1 in the 64 at some point in the future, but 1.9 on both sides seems to work well for the balsacarbo X5. Spot on Loopmeister. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2009 at 12:27pm

there is no point in using 1.9 in such an expensive, heavy, spinny and fast rubber, when you can get the same performance from almost any other brand.   

I'm not sure I agree with this. The 1.9 (especially on the 64) has given me the best looping of any rubber I've tried, but it also allows me to smash with power and accuracy. While I haven't tried the 2.1, I suspect it might make the flat hit less consistent.
Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
blockfast View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blockfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2009 at 12:11pm
OK I have now used this for about a month.
I have found the balsacarbo x5 with Tenergy 1.9 is a great combination for close to the table players
It is light, crisp on the flat hits and spinny for the loops
Overthetable loops on the forehand 05 are exceptionally spinny and the pick up is exceptional.
Pushes and digs have great control on this blade
Smashes and loop drives are very fast. With 1.9 I don't have any problem with smashing with the 05
Blocking and driving with 64 on the backhand is again great.
Serving with either is great
The only weakness I have found so far is passive blocking with the 05 which can spin up very easily if you can't get a very horizontal blade.  If you can get a counter hit in you are fine.
So all in all a combination I would recommend
I will certainly be sticking with it for a while

Balsacarbo X5

TPS Balsa 8.5
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2009 at 11:02am
On my FH i prefer a fast, linear Tensor, so to say a lasergun, but on BH i play the T05 1.9. Its fine there for openings tops, blocking is "ok", chops are "ok". Flat hits are difficult, can't predict the arc.
Glueless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glueless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2009 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by blockfast blockfast wrote:

OK I have now used this for about a month.

I have found the balsacarbo x5 with Tenergy 1.9 is a great combination for close to the table players

It is light, crisp on the flat hits�and spinny for the loops

Overthetable loops on the forehand 05 are exceptionally spinny and the pick up is exceptional.

Pushes and digs have great control on this blade

Smashes and loop drives are very fast. With 1.9 I don't have any problem with smashing with the 05

Blocking and driving with 64 on the backhand is again great.

Serving with either is great

The only weakness I have found so far is passive�blocking with the 05 which can spin up very easily if you can't get a very horizontal�blade. �If you can get a counter hit in you are fine.

So all in all a combination I would recommend

I will certainly be sticking with it for a while

Thanks blockfast for the great reviews!

I do have a couple of questions: In your earlier post you had stated that when you first tried to use the rubbers, you started with the 05 on your forehand and within half an hour switched to have the 64 on your forehand. You stated the reasons that you liked the 64 better on your forehand but didn't state why you didn't initially like the 05 on your forehand. Could you elaborate on that?

Now it looks like you have switched back to have the 05 on your forehand again. What made you change back?

I am a single ply Hinoki user (a fairly soft, stiff blade) and am debating which rubber thickness would be best for me: 1.9 or 2.1. Do you get much blade impact playing 1.9?

Thanks again for your great reviews!
American Hinoki 9 mm Bald Cypress single-ply
Venus 2.2
Neptune 0.6
Windshield Wiper Grip (Don�t you wish YOU had a 3-sided blade?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic