FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tables for home-use reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tables for home-use reviews
    Posted: 03/10/2009 at 11:42pm
Most of the clubs use ITTF approved tables, and since these all need to meet a fairly strict standard, the choice often comes down to personal preference or availability, not so much down to reviews & information about the tables.

However many people are faced with the decision of what tables to buy for home use... so I think it would be really useful to get some comments or reviews on the more basic and budget table tennis table. So
if you have a table at home, or have tried or played on some of these non-competition approved tables, please post your comments here.

To make things easier, I've put a review of a cheap home table to I own below. You can simply copy my review and use it as a template, and fill in your own details:

Name and Brand, origin
Stiga Superior, probable made in China.

Table surface (thickness, quality, other)
This table has a matt blue surface, with painted-on lines. Thickness is only 12mm

Frame (material, 2-piece or fold-up, sturdiness, roll-away or fixed, etc)
I believe this table is steel framed, and although it feel a little flimsy, it's adequate. Each half can be put up, and rolled away as a seperate piece. Wheels are pretty basic and don't look to strong, but have lasted so far. One half can be put up, to be used in play-back mode, which some people find useful.

Performance (playing performance compared to a competition table)
Probably due to the thin surface, the bounch on this table is much slower than a comp table, and not perfectly consistant. Serves practiced on this table may not stay in when played on a comp table. Still performance is adequate.

Durability (table surface, warping of main surface, etc)
The surface of this table has kept really well, over a period about 4 years in our fully enclosed garage. There are some signs of warping, but this is to be expected for a table of this thickness..

Value for money, recommend or not?
The cost of this table was around AUD$250, which I felt was decent value for the quality of table, which we chose for only occasional use with a ball machine. I would no doubt spend a little more on my next table, to get a thicker surface with a faster and more consistant bounce.

Any similar reviews of your table, or one you've tried would be great! Cheers!

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
Sponsored Links

mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2009 at 3:09pm
Name and Brand, origin
Stiga InstaPlay, made in USA

This table has a matte black surface, with painted-on lines. Thickness is 3/4".

Framing is pretty bad on this table, the framing is kinda flimsy and drilled right into the top surface.  The legs are already getting bent from moving the table between my garage and the club in a pickup.  It is not meant for moving around.  No height adjustment for my garage floor is annoying.  Each half can be put up, and rolled away as a seperate piece. Wheels are pretty basic and don't look to strong, but have lasted so far.  They have a locking adjustment, which is nice because otherwise the whole table moves when someone touches the end on a flip, for instance :P.

Bounce on this table is slower, and ball has a tendency to skim the surface a bit.  Compared to other tables of this price and market, the 3/4" top is quite nice.

Pretty durable.  The table has spent time in garages for a couple cold winters, so there are some signs of minor warping.  I think in a basement this one would be fine for a long time.

The cost of this table was around US $250 on sale at a local sporting goods place, picked up so no shipping costs.  I think it is a great value, but replacing the net with a proper net/post set was important.
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2009 at 4:16pm
Name and Brand, origin

Donic Persson 25, Made in Germany

My table has a blue surface. Thickness is 25mm, just over 1".

Frame is very solid steel.
Each half can be put up, and rolled away as a seperate piece. Wheels are big and strong and have locking feature. I like the fact that you can easily separate this table in 2. Also, legs have height adjustment.

Bounce is very good on this table and not getting any worse after 2.5 years of use.

The table has spent time in very cold room for a couple cold winters and there is no signs of warping whatsoever. I think this table will be fine for a long, long time.

The cost of this table was around US$950 including shipping. I've got it from TTPioneers on sale. I do not think this table is a great value for the money. You should be able to get 3/4" tables for much cheaper and they will still be sufficient for the home use, no need to go all out the way I did.
Another thing - it took me and my friend about 4 hours to put the table together. Also, the table comes with the really good quality net.

proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2009 at 4:41pm
That's great, thanks guys!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2009 at 6:55pm
I use Butterfly Personal Rollaway at home. I have bought it new and is like 2.6 years old. I see consistant performance from this table.

Name and Brand, origin
Butterfly Rollaway

May be matt surface with 2 inches may be in thickness.

It is rollaway. But I dont roll it. It is hard to roll it on the carpet. I dont say this is a very sturdy table.

I use my robot on this table. It has very consistant performance.

Since I have not moved this table a lot, it is like new.

Yes.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2009 at 2:59pm
Guys, I am thinking about buying a table for my future house (if we ever buy it, the market seems pretty bad right now - we need to sell our townhouse first).

At first I thought we would get something really cheap like Sportcraft or Kettler, but now I am not so sure. Still I don't want to spend more than 600-700 dollars. Perhaps a slightly used one from a known seller... I dunno.

Advice?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
stan1551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stan1551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2009 at 3:06pm
Don't buy really cheap, crappy table - you wont get a consistent bounce and it will warp pretty fast too. But dont buy 1" luxury one like mine either - it is not a smart move. I think 3/4" tables have the best price/performance ratio right now. Another thing - if the ability to split table in two parts is important to you - in most cases you would have to pay extra for that convinience.
proud member of the (not so exclusive) EJ club
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2009 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Guys, I am thinking about buying a table for my future house (if we ever buy it, the market seems pretty bad right now - we need to sell our townhouse first).

At first I thought we would get something really cheap like Sportcraft or Kettler, but now I am not so sure. Still I don't want to spend more than 600-700 dollars. Perhaps a slightly used one from a known seller... I dunno.

Advice?

If you are not planning to move the table around, get some soild good one.

Has the price of your town home gone low? I'm afraid too as we are planning to move to Dallas.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2009 at 4:59pm
Thanks for the review Varghesep!

JimT: This is exactly why I thought these types of reviews would be useful.
I think the surface thickness is the biggest consideration... get at least 16mm, so that the bounce is more consistant, and the chance of warping is very low...

Any more reviews anyone?
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2009 at 10:29am

Name and Brand, origin
Stiga STS 410

Blue, 1" - I think it is laminated wood. The paint scratches too easily. Other than that surface is nice and smooth.

It is rollaway, but I have enough space in my basement just to leave it in place, so I can't say how easy it is to fold it or roll it.

Feels slightly slower than average tournament grade table. Otherwise OK. I play with my son (6 year old) on this table, and use it as a robot platform.

The plastic covers of the corners are already gone. They break easily. Surface is durable and except of few paint scratches that resulted from a blade or handle contact with a table it looks good.

Since it is not super expensive (about $500) it is an OK buy. It is a compromise type table that lies in between of a tournament grade quality table and a simple 3/4 inch table.
Aquaman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2009 at 11:54am

Name and Brand, origin
Sportcraft Marquis

1" laminated surface.

2" steel frame, 3"steel apron, 3" post legs, 4" casters.  Fold-up, very sturdy roll-away.   

Great performance.  Used at a lot of clubs and schools.  (We bought one for my daughter's school on recommendation from her coach at the club.)  It can be considered a competition table.

Durable.  Packing method may cause bends in some frame parts during shipping (the crossbars that connect the legs), but the company will promptly send replacement pieces when asked.   Very easy, no-tool assembly (can be assembled by kids--and was, at my daughter's school).

Super value at only US $400 or less (cheapest at Walmart).  Highly recommended.  Very unusual value for a Sportcraft product (much better than normal Sportcraft products).

Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2009 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Thanks for the review Varghesep!

JimT: This is exactly why I thought these types of reviews would be useful.
I think the surface thickness is the biggest consideration... get at least 16mm, so that the bounce is more consistant, and the chance of warping is very low...

Any more reviews anyone?

I have to add this. I hate assembling the table. It took a day for me to assemble this one.

seoulkorean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seoulkorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2009 at 11:57pm
Name and Brand, origin

Joola Quattro, $400 (including shipping)

My table has a blue surface. Thickness is 18mm. 

Frame is very solid steel.
Each half can be put up, and rolled away as a seperate piece. Wheels are very sturdy.

Bounce is very good on this table for the price.

I have this table in the garage and it has not suffered from the cold or heat.  No warping is present and still plays the same as the day I bought it.

The cost of the table was $400 including shipping.  I bought it directly from a JOOLA Sales Rep.  He brought it to my house personally, also he even carried it all the way into my garage.

Took about 45 minutes to get setup and it included a nice net. 

I would recommend it for those who are semi-serious about table tennis.  It will at least provide you a means to train.  I love the ease of folding it up, setting it up, and also the sturdiness of the table. 
My Feedback

Primary: Stiga Hybrid Wood NCT with Boost TP/TC

Backup: RSM PLatinum with TSP Triple Spin
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 7:19pm
Thanks seoulkorean!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2009 at 3:54pm
My opinion is:  no matter what kind of table you get....get a good net with a drawstring top.  I personally do not like the Stiga nets which are not the drawstring top type.  I have played on tables with Butterfly, Donic, Joola, Tibhar and Stiga nets.  A great table with a cheap net set is still a crappy table.  A lousy table with a nice net set is still playable.  Nothing is more irritating than playing on a table where you can aim for 1 inch below the top of the net and have it dribble over the net.  Good luck.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2009 at 7:20pm
Yes I agree, and that's is a good point!

Still i think it's worthwhile to see some more reviews of people's table at home, and there is a large variation in table quality and performance too...
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 12:19am
Originally posted by seoulkorean seoulkorean wrote:

You are kidding, right? Sign me up! Do they have JOOLA reps in Massachusetts?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Capa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 9:19pm
Name and Brand, origin

Xu Shaofa 25mm Championship Table - ITTF Approved, AUD$750 (including shipping)

Blue surface. Thickness is 25mm. 

Frame is very solid steel. Each half can be put up, and rolled away as a seperate piece. Wheels are very sturdy.

Same performance as competition table.

Had for almost a year - no change.

One of the best value 25mm tables in Australia. Very heavy and sturdy - I leave it in the family room, never folded up or rolled away except when I tested this function at assembly. Clip on net included (like the Stiga ones), but seller let me have Double Fish net (much better quality). 
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2009 at 8:11pm
Thanks a lot Capa, that does seem good value!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2009 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by seoulkorean seoulkorean wrote:

You are kidding, right? Sign me up! Do they have JOOLA reps in Massachusetts?

Regular price for Quattro at Joola site is $499 + $250 for shipping in US 48 so I would say you got a great deal there.

seoulkorean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seoulkorean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2009 at 10:45am
I must admit, I was very fortunate to run across the JOOLA Quattro table.  I was searching for a table in December of last year and I was looking for the best table for my money under $500.  I went through a bunch of sites like MegaSpin, etc., but I couldn't find any.  Luckily on Craigslist in VA, I saw a posting that had JOOLA tables on sale.  So I called the person up because the prices were just too good to be true.  At first, I thought it was a scam, but I looked up the guy's name on the JOOLA site and sure enough it was their head sales representative.  So, he offered free shipping for the JOOLA Quattro and he delivered it PERSONALLY himself in a Dodge Sprinter van.  He helped carry it into the garage with a co-worker. 
Overall, I was very pleased with JOOLA's service for the table and impressed by the overall quality. 
My Feedback

Primary: Stiga Hybrid Wood NCT with Boost TP/TC

Backup: RSM PLatinum with TSP Triple Spin
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2009 at 9:19pm
You did very well, a credit to the JOOLA Rep!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
jhoerene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhoerene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2009 at 10:13am
I'm choosing between this 3 tables

JOOLA 2000-s

BTY Centerfold 25 europa

or the Hiqua table which cost only $760, which has great reviews also, and some are claming that it has a consistent bounce comapared to BTY, is that true?

http://wwww.Mannypacquiao.ph
http://www.carabaoshirts.com
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2009 at 10:16am
Is Donic INDOOR ROLLER 600 any good?
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
sjk_tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjk_tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2009 at 11:55am
Your inputs/suggestions please....

I was planning to buy a TT table for my home use.

I found a Joola Worldcup S table 2yrs used in a club for $450. Since its used in a club, I 'm assuming this would have been extensively used. But the table is in good condition.

Is it worth buying a 2yr old table ? Is this worth for the money ?. (the new ones are from $699 to $799 + ship, some ship free).
Does anyone know Joola rep/sales person in bayarea ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs/suggestions... 

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2009 at 3:50am
Name and Brand, origin
Sponeta, Made in Germany

Table specifications
� 19 mm chipboard
� dark-green coated
� safety bar with holder for balls and bats
� automatic - undercarriage with tubular - profile 25 mm, plastic-coated
� movable with 4 double wheels � 125 mm (two of them manoeuvrable)
� net set: Club-EN-stationary

Performance
Bounce is excellent, sounds like competition table, very speedy

Durability and Fool-Proof Properties

No traces or scratches when beaten in anger, allows of soft or wet wipes for babies for cleaning. Net is too lax (elastic) and there is no way to adjust it horizontally. Leaves green spots on harder balls (say, Donic Couch, Tibhar Basic or DHS 3***) when strongly hit perpendicularly.

For about 170 euro (including door delivery) you get a frist-class product for coaching, self-training, and block tournaments.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2009 at 6:15am
Thanks Imago, very nice review!
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2009 at 8:59am
The Joola 2000-s is a good table with a 22mm top.

There are some Sponeta 19mm top tables at coaching and the legs are a bit flimsy, compared to the better quality legs on a 22mm or 25mm table. The bounce is not as consistent either. The biggest disappointment is one of them is so badly warped, that the left hand corner is  around 1 1/2 inches lower, than at middle of the table, where the centre line touches the backline of the table. It is the worst table I've ever played on.

My suggestion is buy a table with a 22mm or 25mm top, if you can afford it, as they have a more consistent bounce, than any 19mm top I've played on.

The extra thickness also helps reduce the problem of warping too. I can't recall seeing a warped top on a 22m or 25mm table, but I have seen two 19mm tables with warped tops, that adversely affect the way they play.
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2009 at 1:06pm
Yes, it is a good idea to additionally fasten the legs as with Sponeta Sportline.
But there are also bad replicas of Sponeta one should be aware of. Today, I saw one of them - branded Tecno.
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2009 at 11:32pm
I played on a Stiga Privat Roller last week.  Nice true bounce. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic