Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What other blade is close to bty photino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kucharski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kucharski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What other blade is close to bty photino
    Posted: 04/03/2009 at 1:40am
Hi guys! I just want to now if there is a blade that is simillar to bty photino, it is so expensive but has good quality. i want to try a blade that is similar to photino. any suggestions? thanks in advance
Impossible is really impossible
Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by kucharski kucharski wrote:

Hi guys! I just want to now if there is a blade that is simillar to bty photino, it is so expensive but has good quality. i want to try a blade that is similar to photino. any suggestions? thanks in advance

Well, I haven't played with the Photino, but since it's said to be fast yet have a little dwell time and nice control, I would say this fits the Dawei GTS. I've tried 7 carbon blades and I find the GTS to play the best as a mostly stiff blade. It should weigh about the same as the photino. 30 bucks... 1/5th the cost.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 12:41pm
if the GTS isn't fast enough... I'd go Wavestone next (28 bucks)
kucharski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kucharski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2009 at 11:43pm
thank you sir!Smile but then again, does the dawei gts have the flex thing like photino? and also control?
Impossible is really impossible
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 2:27am
GTS has phenomenal control in my opinion. I use it with the rubbers you see in my signature; and the control continues to impress me.

It has very little noticeable flex. If you want very noticeable flex, you might go with the Galaxy W1... it's too flexible for me, but it plays well. Cole says it's the best playing Carbon blade he's ever used.

The W1 is pricier at 60 bucks, but still much less than the photino.

Another option, if you want good flex in a control composite blade but don't want to spend 60 bucks, would be the Gambler Arylate Carbon... 32 bucks. Again, too much flex for me but might be want you want.

Personally, I find the GTS to be the best of all worlds (unless you need a OFF+ powerhouse). I'm able to loop low backspins and countersmash hard shots. Pushes and drop shots w/ finesse are no problem.

As BH_man said regarding the GTS (I got mine from him), it's the best controlled carbon he knows of (he now plays with a TBS, but still feels this way about the GTS).
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 2:37am
you might find these summaries helpful:

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 3:49am
I don't know what would be cheaper shipping for you: from the U.S. or from Australia, but Alex at oneofakindtrading.com.au carries several Dawei and Galaxy blades also and he's great to deal with.

He's "haggisv" on this forum.
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2009 at 7:40pm

I would not believe in an alternative. Similar to "which China rubber is like Bryce". When you ask this, you get several proposals, some may say "729 FX", other may say "Hurricane 2", yes we had this case. ;-)
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Klaus123 Klaus123 wrote:

I would not believe in an alternative. Similar to "which China rubber is like Bryce". When you ask this, you get several proposals, some may say "729 FX", other may say "Hurricane 2", yes we had this case. ;-)

Surely we can stop worshipping BTY long enough to make a helpful suggestion, no? Confused

Notice he said "similar". I'm sure that if a few knowledgable people chime in, a "similar" playing blade can be picked out of the examples I gave, and it will be a much lower price (which kucharski was looking for).

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

Originally posted by Klaus123 Klaus123 wrote:

Surely we can stop worshipping BTY long enough to make a helpful suggestion, no? Confused

Notice he said "similar". I'm sure that if a few knowledgable people chime in, a "similar" playing blade can be picked out of the examples I gave, and it will be a much lower price (which kucharski was looking for).

I have owned and played over 50 blades, but indeed, I don't see any other cheap blade having the same feeling, power, balance and control as Photino. It is not the question about worship BTY. People are not stupid to spend money if they find something cheaper with the same quality. Butterfly product is expensive, but noone could argue that they have one of the best product in the market.
And I don't think the knowledgeable person would dare to compare $20 something blade with $100 something blade either.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

People are not stupid to spend money if they find something cheaper with the same quality. Butterfly product is expensive, but noone could argue that they have one of the best product in the market.
And I don't think the knowledgeable person would dare to compare $20 something blade with $100 something blade either.
[/QUOTE]

A lot of people won't even try a less expensive product because of an assumption that "of course it can't be as good"

I think Butterfly has good products, but I also think that ratios of cost to quality are helpful. Is the Photino 5 times the blade that the GTS is?

I believe a knowledgeable person would make such comparisons actually.  I've played with Sriver EL on a YEO and I believe you can make a setup that plays just as nice, or rrrrealllly close, for 35 dollars, call me crazy. We might also agree there are 35 dollar custom setups that will outplay 100 dollar premades. You can't bank everything on a price tag. Surely you recognize that many popular companies in a capitalist world drastically mark up their prices?

It also seems to me that Butterfly spends much more on advertising that Dawei. I'd guess they're recovering some of that cost in blade price markups.

Anyway, the person that started this thread doesn't want to spend 150 on a blade, and it's certainly not unreasonable to discuss blades 60 dollars and less that will have similar characteristics such as flex and speed.

The person didn't say, "what 20 dollar blade will play exactly like a Photino?"

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 4:06pm
now, if you still feel a need to set me straight, I will allow you to mail me a Photino for testing

Wink

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

I think Butterfly has good products, but I also think that ratios of cost to quality are helpful. Is the Photino 5 times the blade that the GTS is?

I believe a knowledgeable person would make such comparisons actually.  I've played with Sriver EL on a YEO and I believe you can make a setup that plays just as nice, or rrrrealllly close, for 35 dollars, call me crazy. We might also agree there are 35 dollar custom setups that will outplay 100 dollar premades. You can't bank everything on a price tag. Surely you recognize that many popular companies in a capitalist world drastically mark up their prices?

It also seems to me that Butterfly spends much more on advertising that Dawei. I'd guess they're recovering some of that cost in blade price markups.

Anyway, the person that started this thread doesn't want to spend 150 on a blade, and it's certainly not unreasonable to discuss blades 60 dollars and less that will have similar characteristics such as flex and speed.

The person didn't say, "what 20 dollar blade will play exactly like a Photino?"

If you want the blades last 5 times or even more, why don't you go to KMart to buy $5 premade. You would get 20 somthing blades to last.
There is some characteristic of Photino which made the blade expensive. For sure that the blade is over-priced, but it is worth the money. And the question is that if you have money, what blade would you buy GTS or Photino? The answer would be Photino, then why? Now you would see what I mean.

In addition, it is ok to suggest the blade which you like, but it is not ok to compare to something which you haven't tried. I already tried your blade too, even I did not like, but I don't want to make the comparison here since there is nothing to compare.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 4:35pm
You're right. The best reply anyone could have given to the original question is, "forget it man, shell out the 150 or suffer with some piece of junk that doesn't come close". This would have been the only appropriate response, and none of the BTY die-hards would have been offended.

Not much point in continuing with the dialogue if we can't stay in a linear progression of discussion (blade lasting five times more???). I'm glad you at least agreed it's overpriced.

Best luck to you, kucharski. Let me make it simple for you (and we'll just ignore the rotten fruit throwers). If you want to spend around 30 bucks on a great playing composite blade, I'd try the Dawei GTS. If you like to feel a good amount of flex in your blade, try the Gambler Arylate Carbon. I honestly don't think you'd be dissatisfied with either. And I'd look forward to your review! Smile

Signing off on this one... (kucharski you can send me a pm if you have any more questions, then we won't have to rile anyone up Confused)
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2009 at 5:07am
Agree with you all, there is no way you can compare the Photino with the Wavestone and expect to be taken serious.

Cause regardless of the price and brand, Wavestone is simple so much better and I wouldn't even consider trading one of my Wavestones for 5 of yours Photino.

To spend that amount of cash on a blade, you have to be a serious EJ and we all know what will happen, you play with a for a week, tells everyone how great it is, then you get beaten by someone using the Wavestone, and off you go to find the next expensive blade that you think will do the trick for you.

How do I know this? Cause I was given a Photino by one of my opponents when I beat him with my Wavestone
The holy grail
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2009 at 6:10am
The_theologion you make a lot of sense.
To all those new to table tennis, don't confuse high cost with better blade.
When I was a newbie, I used to think like that, but now I have seen the light.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic