Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tacky Rubber That Feels Like Gambler Outlaw?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tacky Rubber That Feels Like Gambler Outlaw?
    Posted: 05/12/2009 at 11:32pm
Is there such a beast?
Donic Waldner Diablo Senso _Blitz_Reflectoid
Donic Appelgren Allplay Senso V2_Shadow 2.0_Wraith 2.0
Allround Classic, E4, Donic Cayman
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 11:37am
I am not sure... how does Outlaw feel?

I think you should give Reactor Thunder a try. Melarimsa is selling it here on the forum
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 2:58pm
snappa....howz the experimenting going?  

You might want to give the Reactor Thunder a try, knowing what you like.  Plus Mel is a good guy and he is not far from you. 

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 3:57pm
Just reading about Outlaw from Gambler, it made me to buy one, to try and compare with Reactor Thunder. It sounds simular but who knows ...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

You might want to give the Reactor Thunder a try, knowing what you like.  Plus Mel is a good guy and he is not far from you. 

@snapa: Where are you, in New England somewhere?

infinite_loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infinite_loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2009 at 4:17pm
According to ITTF site, Gambler has registered three inverted racket coverings that have not been released.
001 Wraith (Spin effect)
002 Shadow (Spin effect)
003 Reflectoid (Mirror effect)

I don't know anything about how these will be and when these will be released, but, just to speculate, one/two of them may be tacky.
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2009 at 1:00am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

@snapa: Where are you, in New England somewhere?

Rhode Island here. Big%20smile
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2009 at 1:04am

Yeah I was thinking about picking up the Thunder SGFX.  I just might.

Remember how I said I was in love with my W1 w/ 729-08's?  Well I have them now.  My K6 with Outlaw is much better.   If I do pick up the Thunder SGfx, I would slap it on the W1.  I'm thinking up picking up another sheet of Outlaw to put on my FH of the W6.

I also found out that the 729-02 Sensor isn't too shabby.  It's a pretty good sheet for FH.  Nice spin and control.
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 2:58pm
Well I picked up some Thunder SGFX from Mel.  They're glued on right now with Tear Mender and being pressed.  I'll let you guys know my thoughts about them when I get back from class later tonight.
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 3:04pm
Hey Snapa, How is that 729-08 ?
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Chopper88 Chopper88 wrote:

Hey Snapa, How is that 729-08 ?

I was in love with it before.  Now, it's not even on any of my blades.  To get the full benefit from it, I think you need it on a carbon blade to get that extra power from it.  I had it on my W1, it was really good for over the table looping, and even med to far looping.  Touch shots weren't great but they were serviceable, but it's heavily affected by incoming spin due to it's tackiness. 

It made for a really heavy setup though.  For some reason, I wasn't too consistent with my serves.  It's a tacky rubber with a hard sponge.  I thought that was the formula that I liked, but I've since moved on to Gambler Outlaw on my K6 as my main blade.  I'm still EJin' though to find that perfect pair. 

So basically if you don't mind a heavy paddle and love close to the table looping with heavy spin and medium speed, 729-08 is for you.

I should add that I Goo-goned a sheet and it responded very well to it.  It's still in a U after 2 days.  Probably won't slap it on anything though.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 4:22pm
It is rather strange that a hard-sponged and tacky rubber is reacting to the incoming spin more than a regular Euro-Jap style rubber - this is exactly a combination which should not react much to spin due to harder sponge and tackiness.

Which club are you going to? Perhaps we could swap some rubbers and I will try out your 729-08...

I am in Mass. pretty close to RI, and I usually go to Westborough club.

Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 4:47pm
thank you, i do like harder sponge, but don't like heavier set up, I guess its not for me then. thank you again
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 5:37pm

It is rather strange that a hard-sponged and tacky rubber is reacting to the incoming spin more than a regular Euro-Jap style rubber - this is exactly a combination which should not react much to spin due to harder sponge and tackiness.

Actually I thought this is what is expected. A high-throw tacky rubber (whether hard or soft sponge) should react a lot more to incoming spin than a low-throw non-tacky rubber, especially being non-tacky.

I think reaction to incoming spin is probably close to proportional with its throw angle (high throw = high reaction). No?

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 10:31pm

Which club are you going to? Perhaps we could swap some rubbers and I will try out your 729-08...

Hey Jim,

I think we've chatted about this already.  I play out of the Manville (Lincoln), RI club.
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by snapa snapa wrote:

Hey Jim,

I think we've chatted about this already.  I play out of the Manville (Lincoln), RI club.
I was not in Manville, RI for two years at least. Do they still rub February tournament like RI Opent, like before ?
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2009 at 11:07pm
For some reason, they don't have any this year.  But I know there were a few tournaments last year.
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 1:23am
Initial Impressions:

-Sponge was a lot harder than I was expecting, I'd call it medium hard-hard. Almost as hard, if not as hard as 729-08.  Didn't have too much bounce to it.
-Really solid for close to the table looping.  I don't really have enough room in my garage for mid/far.  I'll test that out tomorrow when I take them to the club.  Speed was okay, but my placement was great.
-Top spin serves had a lot of kick.  Underspin/sidespin was okay, nothing impressive.
-Chops were solid
-Didn't have too many touch shots, so I don't have anything to say about that.
-Had better control with the W6 (all wood).

Geddoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geddoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 1:35am
snapa,
Did you prepare it with a layer of normal glue before gluing it to the blade?
KLHS
Gambler Outlaw 2.2mm
Gambler Outlaw 2.0mm
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 1:59am
I actually didn't follow Jim's Chinese Rubber prep.  I was so excited to slap it on my blades that I did just that with some tear mender.  I didn't even check the hardness of the rubber before I did it! Doh!
Geddoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geddoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 2:01am
I think that's why it probably felt a little hard. The sponge will soften up a little after a few uses.
KLHS
Gambler Outlaw 2.2mm
Gambler Outlaw 2.0mm
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 2:04am
Yeah, so I'll have to break it in tomorrow at the club. 

How's the Outlaw treating you?
Geddoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geddoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 2:31am
I am still loving the Outlaw.  The Outlaw is still going strong after about a month.  There is almost zero sign of use on the topsheet and the sponge is still as powerful as ever.  My loops are crazy strong now that I am used to it.  Also, the Outlaw works very well on my backhand.  I mostly use my backhand for pushing, blocking, flat hitting, and looping backspin.  The Outlaw works perfectly in each of these areas.  It is perfect for my backhand.

It feels like I've found the perfect setup.
KLHS
Gambler Outlaw 2.2mm
Gambler Outlaw 2.0mm
snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 2:40am
Good to hear.  If I remember correctly, you were using 729-5 for your BH previously.  I might look into Outlaw 2.2 for my BH also.  Also, I just love the weight of Outlaw, it's so light!
Geddoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geddoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 2:43am
I forgot to mention, as you just said, the lightness of the Outlaw.  My paddle felt feather-light compared to my old stuff.  I felt like I could swing much faster when using it on both sides.
KLHS
Gambler Outlaw 2.2mm
Gambler Outlaw 2.0mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 11:44am
Originally posted by snapa snapa wrote:

For some reason, they don't have any this year.  But I know there were a few tournaments last year.

Yeah, Westborough club's director Rajeev Sharma has organized a few tournaments at Manville - TableTennisRocks & RITTA Open, and they had big plans... but they had too many of them, like, every month, and after a few of them not a lot of people came, so they had to stop for a while.

I think they should simply return to their regular schedule of one Spring and one Fall tourney and simplify this thing.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 11:50am
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

Actually I thought this is what is expected. A high-throw tacky rubber (whether hard or soft sponge) should react a lot more to incoming spin than a low-throw non-tacky rubber, especially being non-tacky.

I think reaction to incoming spin is probably close to proportional with its throw angle (high throw = high reaction). No?

My thinking is that tackiness helps to stop the incoming spin - so the tackier the rubber the less your combo is hurt by the spin. Also, when the rubber is soft the ball penetrates a bit deeper and therefore incoming spin plays more role in the bounce direction. Thus the logical conclusion - and also it is somewhat supported by my own experience of playing with Reactor Tornado and DHS Hurricanes...

Certainly (I myself can vouch for that) tacky hard rubbers help when playing against tricky LP and anti - to such degree that I sometimes playing against LP guys in my club find myself forgetting that the other guy has LP on one side - 'cause my Reactors don't care much about that...

ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by Geddoe Geddoe wrote:

I am still loving the Outlaw.  The Outlaw is still going strong after about a month.  There is almost zero sign of use on the topsheet and the sponge is still as powerful as ever.  My loops are crazy strong now that I am used to it.  Also, the Outlaw works very well on my backhand.  I mostly use my backhand for pushing, blocking, flat hitting, and looping backspin.  The Outlaw works perfectly in each of these areas.  It is perfect for my backhand.

It feels like I've found the perfect setup.

It took me couple tries to like this rubber.  The more I played with it the more I liked it.  For $14, it is worth the try.  In fact, I just ordered a piece of 2.2 mm thickness for my FH.

Geddoe - How is your short game with the Gambler Outlaw?

snapa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 12:28pm
Jim, that's exactly the opposite from my personal experience.  I played a guy with very spin side spins and chops, first with my Butterfly Tackifire C (0-3), then with 729-08's (2-3).  My ball went everywhere, especially on touch shots.  Then I played him with Outlaw and beat him 3-1.  I could control my shots much easier with the softer sponge. 

If you ever want to meet up on Tuesdays at Manville, I'm usually there.  I'm headed there tonight actually.

Thaile, I feel like the Outlaw has a pretty nice touch.  Touch shots and chops are well controlled. 

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2009 at 4:20pm

I did not like Gambler Outlaw much after trying it. But your guys really make me tempting to try it more. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic