Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mendo MP vs Bryce vs Magna

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jimmyso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mendo MP vs Bryce vs Magna
    Posted: 07/14/2005 at 9:32am
I heard that Mendo MP is very similar to Bryce. Is it true?
What's about Magna? How does it compare to the others?
Now, i'm using Mendo MP max on forehand because of the low price in comparison to the other. But perhaps i gone to switch to Bryce or Magna, if they are much more better than Mendo MP.
Sponsored Links

Raymo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raymo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2005 at 10:50am

I have both Magna and Mendo MP on my bats, and they are both very good rubbers.

Magna is a cheaper version of bryce, exactly the same qualities. It's one of the best rubbers i've tried, i can basically play any shot wif this rubber, blocks go back really fast wif Magna.

As for Mendo MP, the spin quality isn't really that great on it, but it is really fast, so it's more fore smashing blocking and close to the table play.

FH: Almana Sound 2.0
BH: Sriver G2 1.9
Blade: Timo Boll Spirit FL
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2005 at 11:23am
if that is the case on mendo mp you do not glue, I have both magna and mp magna kills mp unglued but MP gets a much bigger glue effect and there for spins better glued thats why all the stiga sponsored sweedish pros use MP instead of magna is because magna does not glue well
jimmyso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2005 at 12:27pm
I glue with energy,so after you ttman i should use MP. And what about Bryce? How is Bryce when its glued.
Nomaly i glue 2 layers, sometimes 3
paulinhooo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulinhooo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2005 at 12:34pm
Bryce is one of the fastest rubber when glued. It also gets very soft with a nice feel. I think it is faster than magna and mendo but not good at some situations where mendo mp would surprass it.
OMG!
jimmyso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2005 at 4:26pm
which situations do you mean exactly
looper17 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looper17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2005 at 6:55pm

magna is spinnier maybe

ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2005 at 8:34pm
If you glue for a high dome go for mp if you glue more for softness go with magna
yulske View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yulske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2005 at 1:30am
magna is awesome, its not as fast as bryce but is a hell of a lot spinnier... i love it.
clipper
magna
hammond
jimmyso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2005 at 7:30am
But if you consider how expensive magna and bryce are...why dont use mp as a cheap alternative. Are Magna and Bryce so much superior to pay 10 euros more???
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2005 at 8:27am
I really don't think so
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2005 at 9:06am

It depends a little on your game... Bryce and magna is a little harder... If you are a controlled looper, then choose mendo MP, if you are a killer-looper choose bryce or magna (bryce is the better)...

Example... Peter Karlsson and fredrik hakansson uses mendo MP... they are the controlled loopers... Schlager and kreanga uses bryce, they are killer-loopers...

Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2005 at 5:18pm

I'm not going to agree that bryce is any harder than MP.  They seem about the same to me.

What I like about MP is that it seems to play a much better short game.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
carboS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carboS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2006 at 11:09am
i've used magna before but it was only for a short wyl,i must say that i really did not have the chance to figure what the character of magna, is it ture that its as identical as bryce?

bty kreanga carbon
fh: stiga carbo sound 2.0mm
bh: joola fakir ox
D4VOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D4VOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2006 at 6:55pm
Magna is nothing like Bryce, at least the sheet I tried was'nt
Blade:Stiga Offensive Classic (FL-Master)
FH:Stiga Boost TC (2.0)
BH:Stiga Boost TC (2.0)
Tarsier View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarsier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2006 at 1:47am

I tried both Magna and Bryce. The impression is that Bryce is more sticky, but Magna is more gripy, and Magna can produce spin much more than Bryce.

Bryce is definitely faster. This rubber is excellent for hitting. But Magna is fast, too.

Magna have much more control and I prefer Magna feel.

Bryce is more durable.

I tried them without speedglue. The thickness is 2.1 for Bryce and max. for Magna.

Stiga Energy Wood WRB
FH: Ritc 729 Higher Max.
BH: Stiga Almana Sound Max.
yulske View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yulske Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2006 at 9:22pm

wrong buddddd

bryce doesnt have much grip or stick

magna is stickier.

clipper
magna
hammond
theguyfromaus View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theguyfromaus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2006 at 10:28pm
Bryce does have grip and stick, just not a lot of it.
BUT magna wears out much more quickly than Bryce.
Blade: Butterfly VSG 4000
FH: Stiga Magna MAX
BH: Stiga Almana Sound Max
hallur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hallur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2007 at 6:30pm
When you glue Mendo MP, the spin is unbeliveable! Much spinnier than the chinese rubbers.. But the bad thing about Mendo MP is, it is not good for relooping, and looping from the mid-distance! But it is surely a good rubber, but only when it is glued!
Wheelie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2007 at 2:49pm
Guys remember there is spin at high speed impact as in power loop/drive where the spin is needed to bring a fast ball down onto the table and then there is spin at low speed impact such as serve and push. I think rubbers like MP & Bryce are superior in the former case and chinese rubbers are superior in the latter case. So I guess it depends on where you want your spin.
thetuxedo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetuxedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2007 at 3:11pm

The Magna I have found has not quite a good glue effect. Comparing it unglued to it being glued, the increase in spin and speed is not that noticable, though I do notice some increase.

How is Bryce glued up compared to magna glued up or unglued (not a big boost compared to what I hear about Bryce and Almana Sound)?

Also many of you have stated Bryce's lack of spin, is it not a good looping rubber (spin-wise) and can anyone say which is better glued up: Bryce or Almana Sound? (These 2 I know have a reputation as the best rubbers with glue)

Butterfly Kreanga Carbon ULC:
FH - Joola Green Power Energy X-Tra 2.0
BH - Joola Green Power Energy X-Tra 2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic