Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tackyness of a rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tackyness of a rubber
    Posted: 08/05/2009 at 6:07am
Can anyone explain to me what is the tackyness of a rubber? and what does it help to do? does it enable better looping or what? and is tenergy more tacky than xiom omega 3.

PingPongBoy.
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
Sponsored Links

rupertgriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupertgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2009 at 6:41am
Tacky means sticky.
Usually chinese rubbers are the ones that are tacky and this means the rubber produces spin using this stickyness and just the topsheet. A downside of tacky rubbers is that since it is sticky, this would mean the ball will stick, reducing the ball speed when it leaves your tacky rubber.
Another downside is that it would also react to spin more sensitively.

Euro/jap rubbers are considered grippy and these types of rubbers produce spin by having the ball penetrate the rubber/sponge.

I don't know what it helps to do, its just the differences between rubbers. If there was something I would say it mean a greater ability to produce spinnier shots.

With looping, it depends how you loop. If you use just the top sheet, get a tacky rubber. vice versa.

I don't know how I know this. I probably read it on this forum somewhere :D
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2009 at 10:58am
Tenergy is not sticky/tacky at all, as almost all Euro-Jap rubbers. They rely only on so-called mechanical grip instead of stickiness as well. There are some (but not many) tacky E-J rubbers like Neos Tacky by Stiga and 999 Ultima by JUIC, but that's a rare occasion.

When the rubber is tacky the attacker has to work in a bit more extra power into a shot - so with the Chinese hard training system it made sense. Tackiness also allows you to stop the ball a bit more and to better do quick flicks and counter topspins right off the bounce. As for the sensitivity to the spin, then if you have a good technique you can overcome that. Also if your rubber is hard then this combination is actually less sensitive to the spin as the dwell time is less and tackiness actually in this case stops the incoming spin.

The choice for you whether to go with tacky or non-tacky rubbers is really a choice for your style. If you playing at a not too high level and you are not a combination player with a good touch, then it's best you use classical Euro-Jap rubbers along the lines of Sriver family and similar. If you however are good enough and you are an all-out attacker who however requires some good short game and quick off-the-bounce play when close to the table then consider tacky rubbers. Also if you are a European style player who does a lot of loops and counterspins and doesn't like the muffled feeling when stopping the ball - also use Euro-Jap classics.

There are many types of them nowadays, some of them very close to the classics, some of them only mildly tacky so they do not differ a lot from evergreens like Mark V or Sriver FX or Desto F series etc. Notto mention that most of what China produces these days is 2-3 times cheaper than their European analogs.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2009 at 12:28pm
I play with tacky ... Shorter strokes enable me to be quicker.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2009 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

Certainly helps when you are playing mostly close to the table. Then the muffling effect doesn't really hurt you since the ball doesn't have that far to go.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2009 at 4:17am
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

Tacky rubber is good for close to the table play.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic