Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what do you put on the table to make it so shiny?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what do you put on the table to make it so shiny?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bingping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bingping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do you put on the table to make it so shiny?
    Posted: 08/07/2009 at 6:39pm
sorry, i know it's a bit on a beginner's question but what do you put on a tt table to make it so shiny?
i've been noticing on the videos that i've been watching, the tables are like, really, really shiny.
Halex
rubber being tested
Sponsored Links

zwu168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwu168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 8:49pm
windex? haha i tink its just table cleaner or soap...
OC WRB
FH: Hurricane 2
BH: CJ8000
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 9:09pm
Isn't the table supposed to have a matte finish ?
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by bingping bingping wrote:

sorry, i know it's a bit on a beginner's question but what do you put on a tt table to make it so shiny?
i've been noticing on the videos that i've been watching, the tables are like, really, really shiny.

Please....  This is a family site.  Let's use just a little more discretion. 

LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  )
kenshin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenshin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 9:15pm
i think its the glare of the lights....esp during certain tournament vids...it depends on the camera angle and lighting intensity...

Hurricane 3 Neo 2.15-Butterfly VSG21-4000-FL-Nittaku Hammond Pro Alpha 2.0
bingping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bingping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by silverhair silverhair wrote:

Please....� This is a family site.� Let's use just a little more discretion.� (� LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL� )

i thought people under 13 weren't allowed to be on this forum.
I'm 13 though so i guess i'm all good? almost 14.
Halex
rubber being tested
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 9:41pm
Alot of the quality tables are pretty shiny (and fast)

bingping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bingping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 9:44pm
I tested nifti on it and now it's really shiny and the ball doesn't skid or slide which is good in my opinion.
Halex
rubber being tested
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 11:23pm

I tested nifti on it and now it's really shiny and the ball doesn't skid or slide which is good in my opinion.
According to the ITTF, tables should not be shiny.

Shinny tables cause problems due to light reflections and glare. Personally I hate playing on shinny tables.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
zwu168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwu168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 11:36pm
you can always see the shine when youre almost eye lvl with the table. but when you are playing, you cant really see the shine.
OC WRB
FH: Hurricane 2
BH: CJ8000
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2009 at 11:38pm
shiny tables suck.....you will have problems to see the ball

there is nothing like a new table with a nice matte finish and no glare!! plus the ball grips the the table better on a new table

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2009 at 1:05am
The tables aren't shiny.  It's just a glare from the lights. (That's what I always thought)
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2009 at 5:29am
if you use anything,polish or whatever to put a shine on the table the ball will not grip properly!!!
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2009 at 5:35am
Dont shine a table it sucks playing on it. I played on old tables that are shiny and i am used to matt finish tables, i thought i was going to go blind :P.

Its really hard to see the ball on a shiny table and can cause distractions while playing.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2009 at 6:45am
Yeah all the newer tables have a matt finish, but some of the old olympic quality tables had a gloss coat, I kinda like the way they play. We play on matt tables here but different tables at all the other clubs is allways interesting, some have fast glossy tables

bingping View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bingping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2009 at 7:12am
thanks everyone, i think i've got it now.
Halex
rubber being tested
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic