Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS HK 655 blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 10:42pm
Is Offensive NCT really that good, so can be used as HK back-up?

I think Stiga should make OC-CR with koto top-ply (I read that they used to do that before switching to limba outerply), keep the spruce, increase the thickness of the core a bit and voila, you get a clone of HK.
Sponsored Links

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 11:00pm
So you noticed the first edition batch ?
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 11:04pm
I tried joola energy xtra on the hk  works very well except that balls with lots of back spin  are quite difficult with this rubber  love the sound though  very loud.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2009 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by chris.b40 chris.b40 wrote:

One question ,what do you owners of Hks use as back up blades ?

my HK (sealed top & handle) and the back-up (sealed top)...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 1:37am

I tried joola energy xtra on the hk  works very well except that balls with lots of back spin  are quite difficult with this rubber  love the sound though  very loud.

i used to use regular energy the first time i had my HK.  it was a fairly good rubber but i had a hard time looping underspin with it too.  i just found it very difficult to get the ball to grip onto the topsheet.  thats why im using Express 1 now which is similar to Energy but its easier to loop things with.  Thumbs%20Up

One question ,what do you owners of Hks use as back up blades ?

Like rokphish, another HK LOL

I played with my old HK with BW2 and i found it very enjoyable.  i made 5/5 of my loop kills with it.  TAKE THAT "equipment that is too fast for you" thread Big%20smile  i could never have hit my shots that way with H3 NEO.  Would anyone who has tried all BW2, H2 NEO and H3 NEO say that H2 NEO is more similar to BW2?
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 7:04am

Are you saying that BW2  is more compatible with your HK than  neo 3 rubber ?

Never used neo H3 or any hurricane yet, have one neo H2 and one neo H3 on order to try on my blade.

Did have a Bw3 that I tried on it,  It was great,but my problem was that after the glue effect wore off I peeled the residue from the back of the rubber ,and whenever I tried sticking it on with water based glue  DHS 15 it would always lift  itself off the blade. It eventually became so  soft and sticky  I could lift a  ball on it for about two to three seconds before it came off. think I was unlucky with that rubber maybe because they held it at the airport too long, five days, they thought it was some type of vacuumed packed whale. Storage at the airport is terrible (heat exposure)and that might have been the major contributory factor for me getting a bad break with BW3  . Think I will order another from mytt.net again  hope it goes well this time around .

Interest in the blue whale 3 here in Barbados has not taken off as yet  players do not even know about bw2 .

Forum moderators ,Alex  you guys listening, maybe you should send out a couple of complimentary sheets as an introductory method to get your whale rubbers familiar and eventually popular amongst players from lesser known countries  after all marketing is not only selling but promoting the product also goes a long way.

I still think this rubber is not fully marketed (promoted) which ever. just my opinion.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 7:15am
The  Barbados team here is sponsored by Stag  and they just sent us ten  tables tracksuites shirts  surrounds  beginner blades and so on just to promote their brand.  Think about the returns. Table tennis is really taking off over here we have level 1 coaching courses  and a whole uplifted developmental program.

Wish more sponsorers would come aboard though .
 We were the reigning caribbean champions last year , however  we were beaten at this years championships.

Just a little about my side of the coin as I use table tennis to make aquaintences all over the globe.

AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 7:19am
rokphish   I have sealed other blades but not the HK.

I have noticed some players only seal one (1) side, others like you seal both blade and handle , can you tell me why the handle?
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 7:29am
My hk  set up is fh Bryce speed fx 2.1mm  back hand  DHS 652 .

thinking about trying out globe 889

I have also noticed that the cheaper pips out rubbers play way better than all the big name brands. IMO
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 12:04pm
chris, i sealed all my personal blades... but even then i don't seal the handle for all my blades.. hk is an exception along with a few others. i just want to keep them in pristine shape as long as possible.

unsealed handles get dirty so easily. i use wristband so no sweat on my handles, and i clean my hands through out the nights.. but still things happen... sometimes friends want to try my blades... their sweaty and dirty hands... you get the pictures...

sealing the handle makes it easier to clean...

also i sometimes buy second hand blades... dirty and whatnot... after i got them i cleaned them off as best as i could but most time than not they're just plain dirty for being exposed to long with dirt... so after i cleaned them, sand them a bit if need be... then i seal the handles... that way i'm sure i'm not sharing with however many users before me's dirts, sweats, etc...

besides, i don't see the negative in sealing the handle. i don't feel any different in performance/feel even with two of the same blades one sealed and one doesn't. some people say it's slippery and what not, but not for me. my sealed handle provides me with as good grip as unsealed ones... it might be slippery if used with sweaty hands, and i do sweat alot, but sweat stop leaking down to my handle since i started wearing wristband...

so, all plus for me for sealing the handle...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 12:21pm
and by the way... i also sealed the sides of all my blades... keep them clean also from bad glue job as well as other dirts...

some of my favorite blades i superglued the sides for additional protection from hitting against the table, etc... it works very well... i cracked a few blades before (sides cracked and top ply got torn) and after it just make dents without cracking the sides (or top ply) of the blades.... i usualy put 3-5 layers of superglue. very thin layers will do...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2009 at 1:17pm

Are you saying that BW2  is more compatible with your HK than  neo 3 rubber ?

Never used neo H3 or any hurricane yet, have one neo H2 and one neo H3 on order to try on my blade.

as good as BW2 is, H3 neo is still better.  for me, bw2 is definitely the best for my power loops.  because it isnt as affected against incoming speed, i can pretty much flat drive any ball and turn it into a kill Big%20smile  its a bit harder to do with H3 neo since its affected by spin, but h3 neo does everything else much better such as opening loops, serving, short game, etc.  as much as i love to 3rd ball kill or just power the crap out of the ball, h3 neo helps me a lot more with the rest of my game which is completely necessary.  if only i can have the best of both worlds, thats why i ask about H2 neo to see if it is more similar to bw2 than h3 neo.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 8:18am
rokphish    I now understand why the handle , I am going to super glue my edges  because I hit the table sometimes ,and besides ,I do not like edgetape on my blades. Thanks for the info.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 10:03am
Wow... ...H3 NEO is a great combo with HK 655.
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 11:44am
no problem chris...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
e1itepirate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e1itepirate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2009 at 12:46pm
does anyone know how the hk 655 compares to violin or acoustic in terms of speed?
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2015 at 2:34pm
Is someone playing with this blade ( I think it is also known as HK II)? Any new review that can evaluate its features?
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 3:37pm
Bump

Anyone is playing now with it or has played recently with it? Any new review (or comparison with new blades,  for example V'King from OSP blades)?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2015 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

Bump

Anyone is playing now with it or has played recently with it? Any new review (or comparison with new blades,  for example V'King from OSP blades)?
I don't do detailed reviews -  but I played with it for the longest time (for me) - maybe I can help, what is your game and what attributes are you looking for in a blade ?
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2015 at 2:14pm
Thanks, Tom.
Basically, I'm just kind of curious if the blade has surpassed the test of time (as Hurricane King was thought at one time as something like the "holy grail" and the HK II should be a faster model).
My EJing is limited to all wood blades, and from what I read is flexible and made of koto, spruce, and ayous, and somewhat oversized in its head.
I guess that it has a hard feeling and may be is very good for active blocking in the backhand, but not so easy to loop with, due to the hardness and flexibility. May be not so good for a player like me, whose aim is to loop more and hit less in the backhand side? 
(But, to be honest, I think that, in the end, there is not a blade "for hitting" and one "for looping". You get used to any blade with enough training and can make great loops with a "backhand hitter" blade...)

Edited by Makelele - 07/08/2015 at 2:18pm
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2015 at 3:06pm
[QUOTE=Makelele]Thanks, Tom.
Basically, I'm just kind of curious if the blade has surpassed the test of time (as Hurricane King was thought at one time as something like the "holy grail" and the HK II should be a faster model).
My EJing is limited to all wood blades, and from what I read is flexible and made of koto, spruce, and ayous, and somewhat oversized in its head.
I guess that it has a hard feeling and may be is very good for active blocking in the backhand, but not so easy to loop with, due to the hardness and flexibility. May be not so good for a player like me, whose aim is to loop more and hit less in the backhand side? 
(But, to be honest, I think that, in the end, there is not a blade "for hitting" and one "for looping". You get used to any blade with enough training and can make great loops with a "backhand hitter" blade...)

[/QUOTE)
What do you do on your FH side?
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2015 at 5:06pm
Loop, no hitting.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2015 at 6:09pm
this a great blade for combination of power flat hitting with avg spin capabilities, decent control but if you don't enjoy flat hitting I don't see the point.  It is a great blade nevertheless. Have you tried the Acoustic?
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 2:25pm

Yes, I have tried the Acoustic and, with the Andro CS V Off +, they were the best blades I have tried (I play only with all wood blades).

But I found that I want more power from the blades (I can't deny that I like lightweight blades, and the weight chosen in those blades may contribute to my perception).

I assume that you have played with the Acoustic but preferred the HK 655, right? What did you lose and gain in your game when you chose one over the other?
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2015 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

Yes, I have tried the Acoustic and, with the Andro CS V Off +, they were the best blades I have tried (I play only with all wood blades).

But I found that I want more power from the blades (I can't deny that I like lightweight blades, and the weight chosen in those blades may contribute to my perception).

I assume that you have played with the Acoustic but preferred the HK 655, right? What did you lose and gain in your game when you chose one over the other?
Within the blades that might interest you :I went from the 655 to the Violin (too slow, great topspin) to Barwell Fleet (not all wood but no carbon) to Acoustic Carbon (because the Violin was way too slow, so I didn't want to take a chance on the Acoustic) which is a great loop drive blade with adequate power ( and you with the thing for all wood, I suggested the Acoustic).  Still the flat kill part is not as good as the 655 but I managed to adapt to that for the most part.  Why I went away from the 655 is I am developing my loops for out right winners instead of finishing it off with a flat kill.  So the same logic should apply to you as the loop is your bread winner , you wouldn't exploit the  655's strength while being stuck with average spin attributes.  Currently I am back to the BWF because of the consistency it offers me while delivering good spin and power.  Without consistency your chance in a match is not good.  Blades around 87 g or more  should help in the power dept.

Edited by tom - 07/10/2015 at 2:55pm
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2015 at 10:13am

Very detailed reply.

Thanks Tom.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic