FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

"Must have" blades.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 1:30am
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

Originally posted by MildSeven MildSeven wrote:

Thats funny because its performance is identical to some of the blades being paired with H3 in professional table tennis.
My friend has the Viscaria and it's definitely better suited with H3 than the Keyshot.. My loops are getting smashed time and time again because I have problems loading spin into it.. It paired well with Tenergy and Outlaw though. For the must have blade, I would say Acoustic is worth the price..

I have both the Keyshot and Viscaria and the Keyshot is slightly faster with slightly more dwell time. It is maybe around the same speed as Maze or a touch slower. Either way, its dead smack in the center of all of the Visc., TBS, Maze type rackets and certainly not different enough that one rubber would go well with one of these blades and at the same time not go well with Keyshot. All of the ALC rackets were derived from Viscaria, which in turn was derived from Keyshot (well, not structurally derived, but planned as the replacement). When that was not accepted as well as a Keyshot replacement by the market they made TBS as an even closer successor.

Also, everyone I have met who has been playing since at least the 90's has fond memories of Keyshot, whether they used it or not. It was more widely accepted and loved than even TBS today. If we are talking classic blades, as the subject of this thread, Keyshot is without a doubt the most "classic" offering of the most popular brand in the last 20 years. The whole OFF ALC phenomenon owes its existence to Keyshot.
Sponsored Links

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 2:16am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

i suppose ask ttrubberman for one.  i dont think Albert has any in ST handle.  but the HK will pretty much cure EJing, blade wise at least.

No dice with ttrubberman, although he did say that the straight handle HK655 hasn't been released yet, which seems to imply that one will be released eventually.

And for the record, I'm happy with my current blade. This really isn't about EJ-ing. But, that doesn't mean I'm not slightly curious about other stuff. I'm thinking of any new blades I purchase as more like "collector's items", which is why I wanted to pick up a few that have ostensibly stood the test of time (and maybe a couple that just seem weird, like the Noveliar... 7 plies hinoki and two plies carbon... freakish).
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/2009 at 3:27pm
Review of Korbel SK7 on this thread:
http://forums.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=3451

Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Slightly off topic:

Does anyone know who might be selling the Petr Korbel with a straight handle?

Also, how does the old Korbel compare to the Korbel SK7 and the Korbel Speed?
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
simpanz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:02pm

Does anyone know�who�might be selling the�Petr Korbel with a straight handle?

What's so special about it? I checked three of my local stores and all of them have korbel ST (at least their websites say so). However I don't know if they post to US and how much would it cost. Furthermore I'm not sure whether it's japan or european model.
petr korbel off
sriver G2 2.1
sriver L 2.1
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:13pm
My all time winners from slower to faster (your mileage may vary):
violin, samsonov alpha, acoustic, photino, dotec waldner hinoki, speed 90, Amultart
photino is my final choice because it can do it all :)

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

violin, samsonov alpha, acoustic, photino, dotec waldner hinoki, speed 90, Amultart

thanks for instantly curing me from my ej-wish to try 'acoustic' in future....
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:21pm
I like Fatt's list ... let me just add my favorite 729 V-6 to it (somewhere in the neighborhood of Samsonov Alpha) and it's more or less perfect.

Then again, let's kick Amultart out of there - too stiff too fast. Then my WRC-10 has gotta be on it (right before DS 90).

Hmm... haven't really played with Acoustic that much. Let's replace it with M.Maze or Galaxy K-5, and also add Galaxy T-4 in the end. Now it looks good! Oh, right! Alpha is not really for everyone. Let's put Nexy Color instead.

So, finally:

Nittaku Violin, 729 V-6, M.Maze, Nexy Color, Photino, Dotec Waldner Hinoki, Darker Speed 90, WRC-10, Galaxy T-4

almost same as fatt's... almost... Wink

Go buy them all - support the equipment makers!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:31pm

How does the Darker Speed 90 compare to the Tibhar H-1-9? Which do you recommend? I want a one ply Hinoki blade, but I think I'd prefer a 9mm over a 10mm--unless you could convince me otherwise...?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

thanks for instantly curing me from my ej-wish to try 'acoustic' in future....

if you never tried an acoustic you are missing something. I highly recomend you try (borrow) one (88 to 90 grams because if too light = boring) and put thin rubbers (I'd say 1.8mm bh and 2.0 fh) to better appreciate the wonderful characteristics of the wood. I prefer photino because it's faster and still soft and controllable but acoustic is right there!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:46pm

How does the Darker Speed 90 compare to the Tibhar H-1-9? Which do you recommend? I want a one ply Hinoki blade, but I think I'd prefer a 9mm over a 10mm--unless you could convince me otherwise...?

Tibhar H-1-9 has HORRIBLE TERRIBLE UNACCEPTABLE vibrations when you hit a bit away the sweet spot.
Speed 90 is more forgiving in that regard.
I'd get any Speed 90 between 85 and 90 grams out there.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:55pm
DS 90 not just more forgiving - it basically has no vibration at all. Tibhar must have bought some really cheap, low quality Hinoki to make their blades.

If you don't want to spend 160 bucks on DS 90 (with S&H from Iruiru it will be at least that, or even 180) I suggest you contact Kevin at AmericanHinoki.com and ask him to make you a WRC-9 (9.3, at least) with burled cork handle. You'll get a custom made blade with your own inscription if you want it for $75 shipped.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 4:59pm

Tibhar H-1-9 has HORRIBLE TERRIBLE UNACCEPTABLE�vibrations when you hit a bit away the sweet spot.

Speed 90 is more forgiving in that regard.

I'd get any Speed 90 between 85 and 90 grams out there.

Just to clarify, did ONE of the H-1-9 blades you used have poor vibrations, or do ALL of them? I ask for two reasons: 1) the Tibhar seems easier to get my hands on, although it's more expensive. 2) Again, a 10mm blade seems to be approaching unmanageably thick, so I'd prefer a H-1-9 if possible. But if indeed ALL of them vibrate then I'll surely take your suggestion of the Speed 90.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 5:06pm
I tried 2 of them with the same result and I read the same comments everywhere I read about it. I am convinced it is consistent a characteristic of the H-1-9.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 5:13pm

I tried 2 of them with the same result and I read the same comments everywhere I read about it. I am convinced it is consistent a characteristic of the H-1-9.

Right on, thanks. It'll likely be a Speed 90 for me then. One last question: On iruiru there is something called a Tanpan (or something like that) which appears to be a 9mm one ply blade. Do you know anything about it?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 5:23pm
never tried it. I read here and there it's just a wanna be Speed 90 and that unlike Speed 90 it gives a little virations off the sweet spot.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 5:24pm
http://www.mytabletennis.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29106&PID=349604
also there is a dimitris' review on the tanpan on ttdb.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 5:41pm
Awesome... Thanks for all the info, fatt and JimT. When my spare cash comes through, the Darker Speed 90 has made the list based on your input and others'.
spitfire View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spitfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 5:42pm

OC if you are SH.

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 8:48pm

Also, how does the old Korbel compare to the Korbel SK7 and the Korbel Speed?

Let's say Korbel original is the medium of medium, meaning it has medium speed and feel is medium (not soft, not hard).  Its thickness is 5.9 mm.

Korbel SK7 is stiffer, but softer and definitely faster.  It is thicker, about 6.7 - 6.8 mm.

Korbel Speed is stiffer, harder and faster.  It is thinner, about 5.7 mm.

If I have to ditch my Korbel, I would change it to Korbel SK7.  But get the ST, I have FL and it is smaller than that of Korbel.  FYI, Korbel himself changed to Korbel SK7.

Korbel Speed is actually similar to original Korbel, but better in the hitting department and about the same (if not less) in looping department (compared to original Korbel).

For Korbel Speed, again, choose the ST.  My ST is comfy, but the FL is lousy.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Let's say Korbel original is the medium of medium, meaning it has medium speed and feel is medium (not soft, not hard).  Its thickness is 5.9 mm.

Korbel SK7 is stiffer, but softer and definitely faster.  It is thicker, about 6.7 - 6.8 mm.

Korbel Speed is stiffer, harder and faster.  It is thinner, about 5.7 mm.

If I have to ditch my Korbel, I would change it to Korbel SK7.  But get the ST, I have FL and it is smaller than that of Korbel.  FYI, Korbel himself changed to Korbel SK7.

Korbel Speed is actually similar to original Korbel, but better in the hitting department and about the same (if not less) in looping department (compared to original Korbel).

For Korbel Speed, again, choose the ST.  My ST is comfy, but the FL is lousy.

Thanks for the info--quite helpful. I cannot abide any FL handle so I'm glad to hear ST is nice, if I indeed end up purchasing one. Thanks again.
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 8:57pm
My list:
Violin, Timo Boll ZLF,  ALC, Petr Korbel,  PowerDrive, Clipper Classic, Hock

Didn't find Photino good for over the table shots, close to the net game.

Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 9:09pm
I have so many blades, I cannot recommend any of them LOL  I am confused.

For best feeling = Violin (Acoustic is 2nd)

For cheaper ones with all the gears = Korbel and Korbel SK7

For serious play = older Clipper wood (non-WRB, non-CR)

Good one for beginner up to intermediate level (well, for world class players also but with tons of speed glue) = Offensive CR (non-WRB).

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 9:50pm
anton, get a stiga ebenholz 7
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

anton, get a stiga ebenholz 7

Only if it has solid handle, not WRB LOL
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 9:52pm

Let's say Korbel original is the medium of medium, meaning it has medium speed and feel is medium (not soft, not hard).� Its thickness is 5.9 mm.Korbel SK7 is stiffer, but softer and definitely faster.� It is thicker, about 6.7 - 6.8 mm.Korbel Speed is stiffer, harder and faster.� It is thinner, about 5.7 mm.If I have to ditch my Korbel, I would change it to Korbel SK7.� But get the ST, I have FL and it is smaller than that of Korbel.� FYI, Korbel himself changed to Korbel SK7.Korbel Speed is actually similar to original Korbel, but better in the hitting department and about the same (if not less) in looping department (compared to original Korbel).For Korbel Speed, again, choose the ST.� My ST is comfy, but the FL is lousy.

Thanks for the info--quite helpful. I cannot abide any FL handle so I'm glad to hear ST is nice, if I indeed end up purchasing one. Thanks again.

What's your beef with FL handles? In fact, what is everyone on this forum's beef with FL handles? Is that just a no-no for those who "get it", or is it just a personal preference? Is it an aesthetic factor? I own a FL handle, am I a chump? Will everyone point and laugh at me? Somebody fill me in.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Let's say Korbel original is the medium of medium, meaning it has medium speed and feel is medium (not soft, not hard).  Its thickness is 5.9 mm.Korbel SK7 is stiffer, but softer and definitely faster.  It is thicker, about 6.7 - 6.8 mm.Korbel Speed is stiffer, harder and faster.  It is thinner, about 5.7 mm.If I have to ditch my Korbel, I would change it to Korbel SK7.  But get the ST, I have FL and it is smaller than that of Korbel.  FYI, Korbel himself changed to Korbel SK7.Korbel Speed is actually similar to original Korbel, but better in the hitting department and about the same (if not less) in looping department (compared to original Korbel).For Korbel Speed, again, choose the ST.  My ST is comfy, but the FL is lousy.

What's your beef with FL handles? In fact, what is everyone on this forum's beef with FL handles? Is that just a no-no for those who "get it", or is it just a personal preference? Is it an aesthetic factor? I own a FL handle, am I a chump? Will everyone point and laugh at me? Somebody fill me in.

Relax buddy... It's sheer personal preference. I can't stand the way the flare rubs against my palm when I hold a paddle. I find FH to BH transitions much easier and much more comfortable with a ST handle.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 10:03pm

Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

Let's say Korbel original is the medium of medium, meaning it has medium speed and feel is medium (not soft, not hard).� Its thickness is 5.9 mm.Korbel SK7 is stiffer, but softer and definitely faster.� It is thicker, about 6.7 - 6.8 mm.Korbel Speed is stiffer, harder and faster.� It is thinner, about 5.7 mm.If I have to ditch my Korbel, I would change it to Korbel SK7.� But get the ST, I have FL and it is smaller than that of Korbel.� FYI, Korbel himself changed to Korbel SK7.Korbel Speed is actually similar to original Korbel, but better in the hitting department and about the same (if not less) in looping department (compared to original Korbel).For Korbel Speed, again, choose the ST.� My ST is comfy, but the FL is lousy.

Relax buddy... It's sheer personal preference. I can't stand the way the flare rubs against my palm when I hold a paddle. I find FH to BH transitions much easier and much more comfortable with a ST handle.

Ah, thanks. I didn't intend for that post to sound accusatory or defensive in anyway. Just my sense of humor.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 11:09pm
I used to prefer ST handles thinking it better for all round play and soft bh loops. Also I was not rubbing as much the inside of my wrist serving sweddish style.
Now that I am a bit better I prefer FL again because it really gives me the confidence that the blade won't leave my hand on a strong bh loop. Since my serves are better I do not rub my wrist anymore and have no more reason to go with ST.
Each time I feel an AN handle in my hand it feels so good. I tried a dozen of them in Las Vegas at Butterfly and Paddle Palace booth. I never played with one of those though; even for a day.
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 11:13pm
Hi Fatt,

What is serving "Swedish style"?
Hataw Na View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hataw Na Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2009 at 11:23pm
Nittaku Acoustics.

And don't forget the Tenaly Acoustic .
Hataw lang ng hataw!
Butterfly Cypress S
FH - Bty Bryce 2.1 mm Red
RPB - Bty Tackfire D 2.1 mm Blk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic