Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Must have" blades.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2009 at 3:41pm
Anton,may I ask why do you prefer to buy the Acoustic over the Violin?
Sponsored Links

Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2009 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Andrzej Grubba is a great ALL+ blade but it doesn't have a hollow section in the handle. Unless someone went and put a WRB-style handle on AG blade.

Mine has a pretty big hole in the end...just for a rubber insect insert!  lol   I have Aces 2.2 regular on both sides, and it still feels pretty head heavy.  This is why I thought it might be a small version of a wrb. 

Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2009 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

Anton,may I ask why do you prefer to buy the Acoustic over the Violin?

I actually prefer neither, at this point. I've only played with the Violin. I enjoyed it, but the handle is absolutely ridiculous. The Acoustic handle is apparently the same. I was going to choose the Acoustic because many people said that it is slightly stiffer and faster than the Violin. But, others said the opposite... so I don't really know. In the end, I just went with the Acoustic kind of spontaneously.

But now I don't want either because their handles are insanely small and uncomfortable (as are all Nittaku handles I've encountered so far). There are apparently Acoustic blades with an L-size handle, but they're allegedly $200. Screw that. So, I'm getting neither.
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2009 at 11:00pm
Actually $200 for Acoustic L-sized is normal. Butterfly Custom made blade cost 21.000-31.500 Yen. I have my Violin handle thickened  by Borko it cost $40 and Acoustic handle which is changed completely cost $75. The result is not as good as the factory made. So for me it's worth it.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 11:39am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Actually $200 for Acoustic L-sized is normal. Butterfly Custom made blade cost 21.000-31.500 Yen. I have my Violin handle thickened  by Borko it cost $40 and Acoustic handle which is changed completely cost $75. The result is not as good as the factory made. So for me it's worth it.

Doesn't it change the balance of the blade rather dramatically?

Also - was the old handle completely replaced?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 11:47am
I don't believe that I should have to pay extra just for a larger handle. As I've said, companies like Stiga offer their customers thicker or slimmer handles without an extra charge, and that's how I believe it should be done. An additional $30-$40 for a few more centimeters of wood is insane. And I don't feel like I should have to take it to a custom blade maker to fix or replace the handle completely, because that's way too much trouble.

Edit - But if you've got money like that, by all means you can spend whatever you wish to get your handle customized. I just feel like the extra charge simply for a larger handle is ridiculous because Nittaku blades are already relatively expensive, and to me it just seems like they're trying to squeeze more money out of you.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 11:50am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

I don't believe that I should have to pay extra just for a larger handle. As I've said, companies like Stiga offer their customers wider or slimmer handles without an extra charge, and that's how I believe it should be done. An additional $30-$40 for a few more centimeters of wood is insane. And I don't feel like I should have to take it to a custom blade maker to fix or replace the handle completely, because that's way too much trouble.

Originally, Nittaku made slimmer handles simply because on average palms/hands of Japanese players were indeed smaller. Why they keep on doing that now when Nittaku is an international brand, and Japanese are much closer to the world average in height and size - I have no idea.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 11:57am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

I don't believe that I should have to pay extra just for a larger handle. As I've said, companies like Stiga offer their customers wider or slimmer handles without an extra charge, and that's how I believe it should be done. An additional $30-$40 for a few more centimeters of wood is insane. And I don't feel like I should have to take it to a custom blade maker to fix or replace the handle completely, because that's way too much trouble.
Originally, Nittaku made slimmer handles simply because on average palms/hands of Japanese players were indeed smaller. Why they keep on doing that now when Nittaku is an international brand, and Japanese are much closer to the world average in height and size - I have no idea.

Jim, I believe you're right about Nittaku originally making the handles thinner for the average Japanese player, I have considered this as well. As for why they continue to do so might have something to do with Nittaku remaining loyal to their Japanese customer base. Meaning that they have no qualms about charging foreigners more for thicker handles rather than making all their handles thicker and risk losing some of their current customer base in Japan and other parts of Asia. Of course, this is just me speculating.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic