Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tensor Rubber Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tensor Rubber Question
    Posted: 01/26/2010 at 4:04am
I read know that speed glue damages rubbers over time but I read somewhere that speed glue will hurt tensor rubbers more easily in the long run. Is this true?

I have a new sheet of Sriver G3 which I've been meaning to try and I have a can of Haifu Dolphin Glue (green can) and I think its speed glue. So my question is, does speed glue really hurt tensor rubbers?

And has anyone used Butterfly Fit Chack or Water Chack? What's your opinion because I really don't want to damage my new rubber and blade. Because I'm poor lol. By the way what IS the average lifespan of G3?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

manyaku88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manyaku88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 5:00am
Sriver G3 is NOT a tensor, it does not have speed glue effect built in

sriver G3's sponge was made to be used with bty booster, so i think you will be fine if you use speed glue on it
Blade: Bty BalsaCarbo X5 FL

FH Bty Tenergy 05 2.1

BH: Palio Aeolus 45* 2.2
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 5:21am
G3 is not a tensor, but it's not made to be used with optimizer either (that was Bryce Speed/FX which also plays perfect without tuners)), g3 is a japanese built in glue effect rubber a bit similar to Stiga Boost TP. Good spin, speed and control.
The sponge is not as bouncy as tensor sponges, and the topsheet is grippier.
You can speedglue it but it's under quite some tension so don't stretch the rubber if you glue.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 5:49am
Originally posted by manyaku88 manyaku88 wrote:

Sriver G3 is NOT a tensor, it does not have speed glue effect built in

sriver G3's sponge was made to be used with bty booster, so i think you will be fine if you use speed glue on it

+1
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 6:25am
G3 and G3 FX are already as good as most tensors without speedglue or booster. I don't think they're meant to be glued or tuned. They're quite bouncy.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 8:15am
I used G3 on my b/h. After a month the performance was bad.
I had to use tuners, the same as Bryce Speed.
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 2:45pm
@jamj8
Be sure to read the text printed on your rubber's wrap. There will always be some precautions regarding the gluing materials to be best used on the given sponge, something like "designed to be used with water soluble adhesives"
In case no such precaution present, the rubber may be safely treated on with ANY GLUES with no noticible damage..
WARNING: You shouldn't take to speed glue or booster if the printed precaution suggests so, - otherwise you may well get the sponge unlively as soon as after gluing twice.
ALWAYS MAKE A CLOSE STUDY OF THE RUBBER'S WRAP when deciding on the true glue type!!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 3:40pm
I think the main concern with tensor rubbers is that they are already stretched.  Or if not really stretched (and i have my doubts) at least they have a very soft, thin top that is fragile. If you glue with solvent based glues (esp speed glue) they will stretch some more.  That's ok if you just let them sit there domed until they dry completely, then put them on (maybe an hour).  You sure don't want to put them on while they are stretched.

I do not believe the regular glues will hurt the sponge chemically or anything, although strong speed glue may soften it a bit if you put it on thick.  Better to put on a thin layer, let it dry, and then put on a second layer.  Then the first layer kind of keep the second layer out a bit.  If you just put it on thick from the start, much of it will sink in.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2010 at 11:26am
Here is an example - not about tensor rubbers but about pre-tuned, topsheet-stretched rubbers. A guy bought two Outlaws from the same batch at a brick-and-mortar store - the first one of them was glued using kerosene-diluted rubber cement. Result - two days of training and the rubber has bubbled. Second one was glued using water glue. Result - three days of practice and no bubbles. So there must be something there...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2010 at 6:04pm
I'm new to the gluing game, so is it best in general to use water based glue? 

Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic