FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy-too much spin!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy-too much spin!
    Posted: 02/01/2010 at 12:16pm
So I tried Tenergy out on a korbel the other day, 05 FH 64 BH, the "typical" setup I guess. I like to force a long push through well placed pushes or flip to initiate a rally, the faster I can move to mid table looping the better. Please note that this was just a test for fun, I'm still sticking with my sriver both sides until I've reached my other goals, although the blade search is still ongoing.

Pushes and serves were great, I got tons of spin, but as soon as I moved to mid table looping problems occurred. I almost always would have so much spin on the ball from back there, that the ball would land on MY side! Is this because I'm so used to sriver and have to brush to get enough spin and arc? Is my loop so super-powered through perfect technique that I can generate more topspin than any human(unlikely)? Is this a blade or technique issue, or would I mearly need to adjust to the rubber and hit forward more? I switched to 64 on FH to try it at mid table since that is it's listed strength, an it was slightly better, I still had to hit forward much more than I was used to to get theball over the net.

After a while I just stopped trying so hard for speed and spin, and it was like magic rubber, super shots with little effort, and I could put them where I wanted exactly. (idk but this may be what people refer to as lazy) I know this rubber should be able to be used with every amount of effort I can generate, the pros do it. What needs to change?

I know i said I'm sticking to sriver, and I am for at least 8 months, but I want to keep upgrades for that time in mind.

So pretty much tenergy was way too spinny, I felt it allowed me to get lazy. Please let me know answers to above questions though.

Also Im posting from my phone in class because my proffesor is boring, please excuse syntax mistakes and stuff that might be weird from my phone
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Sponsored Links

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Reinecke Reinecke wrote:

So I tried Tenergy out on a korbel the other day, 05 FH 64 BH, the "typical" setup I guess. I like to force a long push through well placed pushes or flip to initiate a rally, the faster I can move to mid table looping the better. Please note that this was just a test for fun, I'm still sticking with my sriver both sides until I've reached my other goals, although the blade search is still ongoing.

Pushes and serves were great, I got tons of spin, but as soon as I moved to mid table looping problems occurred. I almost always would have so much spin on the ball from back there, that the ball would land on MY side! Is this because I'm so used to sriver and have to brush to get enough spin and arc? Is my loop so super-powered through perfect technique that I can generate more topspin than any human(unlikely)? Is this a blade or technique issue, or would I mearly need to adjust to the rubber and hit forward more? I switched to 64 on FH to try it at mid table since that is it's listed strength, an it was slightly better, I still had to hit forward much more than I was used to to get theball over the net.

After a while I just stopped trying so hard for speed and spin, and it was like magic rubber, super shots with little effort, and I could put them where I wanted exactly. (idk but this may be what people refer to as lazy) I know this rubber should be able to be used with every amount of effort I can generate, the pros do it. What needs to change?

I know i said I'm sticking to sriver, and I am for at least 8 months, but I want to keep upgrades for that time in mind.

So pretty much tenergy was way too spinny, I felt it allowed me to get lazy. Please let me know answers to above questions though.

Also Im posting from my phone in class because my proffesor is boring, please excuse syntax mistakes and stuff that might be weird from my phone
Went back and watched your one month coaching update video. My guess is you just weren't hitting hard enough. Or maybe the weight of the tenergy was pulling your stroke angle down and making you hit too horizontally LOL
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 2:15pm
if you`re looping against underspin and the ball lands on your side of the table then you are not driving the ball forward enough or not arcing the ball high enough. Tenergy will be VERY, YES VERY, sensitive to spin so you swing lazily, then the ball will not clear your side of the table. try to increase your swing speed and see how it goes. my bet is that if you use t64 on the fh, you won`t have so much problem with this issue anymore (but you might still have some...just less)
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 2:32pm
Thanks guys.

To be clear I should have said I was counter looping, believe it or not I've improved a lot again (imo at least ) I have increased my swing speed, wrist usage and stroke recovery. My lazy swinging was what made the ball go over! When I was focusing on hitting lots of spin on loops was when they would land so short, this is what was confusing me.

edit: Also the shots that were landing short had a really high arc to them. It is so weird that I would have to swing soooo much differently than I do with Sriver.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 2:39pm
lol now it's confusing....so you were looping topspin balls (aka counterlooping) and the ball was landing on your side of the table? how much clearance was on the ball (how high above the net), when were you making contact with the ball? (top of the bounce, below the table, etc...)

i suck at picturing so it would be helpful =)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

lol now it's confusing....so you were looping topspin balls (aka counterlooping) and the ball was landing on your side of the table? how much clearance was on the ball (how high above the net), when were you making contact with the ball? (top of the bounce, below the table, etc...)

i suck at picturing so it would be helpful =)

Haha, exactly!

Yes looping against topspin, at least five feet off the table, probably more, and using the same stroke that I use with Sriver EL on the same blade, I was hitting arc-y spinny shots that were landing on my side, close to the net but still...

Maybe I'm brushing too much with Sriver? That doesn't make since either though because my Sriver loops seem great.

edit: OH and I was contacting at the top of the bounce, maybe slightly after the top on occasion to vary spin.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 2:52pm
Very weird. 'Cos every time I play with the T05 I almost always go long and high on most shots. T64 was significantly better as the trajectory was more linear, but the T05 did put in a lot of spin. I know a lot of players who put so much top-spin on the ball that it looks like it going about a foot long but lands on the table almost 2 inches in. T05 does cause a severe dip on heavy top-spin but not to the amount you described.
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 3:30pm
I think I might have figured it out... who were you playing against? What were they using? I think you were getting counterhits instead of counterloops.
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

I think I might have figured it out... who were you playing against? What were they using? I think you were getting counterhits instead of counterloops.

Now there is a thought.

I think I remember who I was playing, but I'm pretty sure they were counter looping but I could be wrong. They were definitely using inverted, but maybe my vicious spin was causing them to counter hit instead of loop Actually no one in my club really knows how to counter hit, although I've taught some now, warming up with anybody is so hard because all they do is try to crush the ball! ergghhh. But off topic. Anyway that might have been the case though. I should borrow my friends paddle again and try it, just to make sure I'm not going crazy!
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 3:50pm

My lazy swinging was what made the ball go over! When I was focusing on hitting lots of spin on loops was when they would land so short, this is what was confusing me.
edit: Also the shots that were landing short had a really high arc to them. It is so weird that I would have to swing soooo much differently than I do with Sriver.

You're not going crazy :)
I have noticed the same phenomenon, except with Refoma compared to Tenergy 05, and also tensors like Sinus Alpha, etc.   The same brush looping and spin-loop techniques just don't work, and I can't figure out why either - as the grip is definitely there.   The new rubbers do encourage laziness, and I can generate twice the speed/power with half the effort, and as as soon as I 'try' to spin, 'blop!" it just goes down.  One needs to go more forward with a much more open blade face.
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 3:59pm
well duh, if you brush loop the ball isn't going to have a lot of speed to it =). lol but to be serious...i feel like you're not digging the ball into the sponge enough.

i think that you're using nothing but topsheet with your arc loops. if you are using nothing but topsheet as i stated earlier, then you are not following through with your swing enough. you're basically half swinging....the further away you are from the table, then more you need to follow through. put up a vid and i'll see =)
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 3:59pm
Don't worry too much , the rubbers is spinny so relax ,aim at a target get you feet right and do a nice forward topspin loop and main thing is get the ball on first and then ...

latter increase the spin factor
add a bit of side
add a bit more full arm

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

well duh, if you brush loop the ball isn't going to have a lot of speed to it =). lol but to be serious...i feel like you're not digging the ball into the sponge enough.

i think that you're using nothing but topsheet with your arc loops. if you are using nothing but topsheet as i stated earlier, then you are not following through with your swing enough. you're basically half swinging....the further away you are from the table, then more you need to follow through. put up a vid and i'll see =)

Haha, everyone here loves my videos! To be honest though I took so many last semester I filled up my computer's 130GBs! I'm moving them to disks now though, then I can get over my bronchitis and sinus infection, then I can make a video
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 5:09pm

Haha, everyone here loves my videos! To be honest though I took so many last semester I filled up my computer's 130GBs! I'm moving them to disks now though, then I can get over my bronchitis and sinus infection, then I can make a video

i'll be putting up another one soon...i'm having some fun with adobe premiere and after effects. some pretty funny rallies will be put up on youtube soon...
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

josephj1109 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josephj1109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2010 at 1:27pm
I had my first experience last night with T-05 and I have to say i was impressed. It was spinier than a fox news news program and I enjoyed the arc it created on spin loops.
big d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2010 at 2:43pm
when counterlooping dont put the ball too long on the blade
petr korbel
fh t05
bh nexy karis m
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2010 at 3:58pm
tenergy,on my way to the club to have my first ever hit with this rubber T64  will let you know my first impressions
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2010 at 9:50pm
This rubber is fast-very fast yet not that difficult to use after the first half an hour or so, yet there is a lot more to this rubber,I like its power but I am not sure about it. More tom.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
YBFlash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YBFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2010 at 10:49am
IMHO, Tenergy is da sh*ttiest rubber in da world!
I tried 05, 25, 64 and all of them has no catapult at all...

Blade: OSP Virtuoso+
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
BH: Nittaku Fastarc G-1
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2010 at 11:47am
you're not getting the ball into the sponge enough then....either that or your blade is too soft.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2010 at 11:52am
Originally posted by YBFlash YBFlash wrote:

Depends also what kinda blade you are using. Tenergy is not sh*t. Just play a 20 year old rubber, after that, play with Tenergy... You feel enormously differences.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2010 at 2:17pm
I am not a lover of tenergy ..yet, but I know that your opinion about Tenergy being what you say it is,is way off here. (imo)
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT over Study Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 2:20am
i think thats why the US are the best, because their technique is so perfect that they miss every time..
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 5:00am

Your weird.
The Older I get, The better I was.
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 5:08am

I'm not a fan of Tenergy Rubbers, but to say that Tenergy 64 has no catapult is totally wrong.Confused
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 7:01am
what a surprise. You hit it the same way as with srivers and amazingly it does not work with tenergy. you need adjust to it.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 7:30am
I find almost no rubber has any catapult worth talking about anymore.  For me the feeling of catapult was highest in bryce super speed glued.

tenergy doesnt improve with speed glue in my opinion, the topsheet gets a fraction nicer after the glue has made more maleable (is that a word?) but if the sponge gets soft its trash.

If we are going to talk about degrees of catapult with out any kind of glue - first rule out all the ESN tesnors that are well known for having super soft topsheets.  there is no such thing as catapult when the topsheet is that soft. 

Of course there is bounce in the sponge but the topsheet needs to be hard to get a real solid sling shot.

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
hungga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hungga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 7:59am
Wow. I almost get my shots landed close to the end line of the opponent's side. My problem is not giving too much power but not enough power to force the much needed curve, for the return to land on the other side.

I can say, at mid distance, counter looping with T64 is a nightmare to my opponent. But when they learned my advantage, they play short to fish my noob close to table technique. I haven't got a chance to do such with T05 but I don't have problem with too much spin.
:: EJ level 1 ::
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 10:04am
I've played with Max Sriver EL, 2.1mm Tenergy 05 and 2.1mm Tenergy 64 on the Petr Korbel and all of them work well on the blade, for mid distance looping.

Of the three, Tenergy 64 is the one that excels at mid distance looping, on both wings of the Petr Korbel; whereas Tenergy 05 is not far behind and still a solid performer.

For someone used to playing Sriver EL on the Petr Korbel,  that is a good combination too; so you can carry on using it or be prepared to spend some time learning how to play with Tenergy and it will require a period of adjustment after Sriver EL.

pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

I find almost no rubber has any catapult worth talking about anymore.  For me the feeling of catapult was highest in bryce super speed glued.

tenergy doesnt improve with speed glue in my opinion, the topsheet gets a fraction nicer after the glue has made more maleable (is that a word?) but if the sponge gets soft its trash.

If we are going to talk about degrees of catapult with out any kind of glue - first rule out all the ESN tesnors that are well known for having super soft topsheets.  there is no such thing as catapult when the topsheet is that soft. 

Of course there is bounce in the sponge but the topsheet needs to be hard to get a real solid sling shot.

Boz, I have to dissagree with you on this one. The soft but elastic top sheet definetly slingshots the ball, just like when using a sling shpt, you pull the rubber back and release, the same happens with the soft pliable topsheet. You have to be active with the stroke.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic