Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review of Ian W�rz's Dual Speed Tri-Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review of Ian W�rz's Dual Speed Tri-Carbon
    Posted: 04/22/2010 at 11:20am

This is a review of Ian W�rz�s dual-speed Tri-Carbon Cpen/Handshake Blade.  Construction is made of 9 plies Limba-Limba-Carbon-Balsa-Carbon-Balsa-Carbon-Cypress-Western Red Cedar.  I will have pics posted soon as I have to take the rubbers out.  I was too excited when I first received the blade, and slapped rubbers on it right away.  Soon to find out that are two tri-carbon market blades out there (TB Tri-carbon, Guo 3C-discontinued model), but this one is special.  It�s made specifically for my playing style. 

I have been using this setup for nearly three weeks, about 1 hour/day, 6 days/week.  FH rubber JO Gold 2.0, BH H3 Pro D41 2.15.  I would say that I�m a mid-table power all-around attacker, and BH block/control/counter attack. 

Cosmetics: I have to say that I�m not fond of handle wood, but it usually don�t see much light anyways as I wrap it with grip tape.  The custom ST handle was my idea so that in case I need to switch to handshake later on, or EVEN during a match.  Tho it�s a bit thick for my liking, I�ll probably have to sand it down a bit to 31mm.  The finishing of the blade is good; I noticed the slight fine shoulder shaves when I got them.  Balance of the blade is great, even for the slightly longer handle for a CPen user, which doesn�t bother me at all as opposed to a FL/AN/ST.  It is fairly light at 80grams, I don�t have a scale so I took Ian�s word.  The blade is Stiff, but certainly not like a BRICK!

Playing: First day was rough as the balls were flying out of the table, then I noticed that combination has a mid to high throw.  After making new stroke adjustments, the hits have reached its spots on the table time after time.  The carbon sound has became louder each day on rallies and especially piercing on smashes�I love that sound=). 

Serving short with this blade is very difficult as I�m still trying to master a lighter touch.  Mid to long serves are very good and consistent with spin & speed.  Returning serves is also consistent especially with touch shots. 

Looping is solid on the FH, and surprisingly good on RPB BH.  It�s probably because of the Cypress&WRC combination.  BH also gives a great feedback.

Blocking incoming loops & smashes is a breeze, sometimes surprising my opponents with a fast return with less hand motion.  Counter looping is very good for this combination; I was able to keep the pace with my strokes. 

Sweet spot is rather growing larger each day as I am able to control off balance placement shots. 

Don�t get me wrong, this blade is silly fast as it was Ian�s exact words.  There are a stretch of times where my loop shots have gone off the table, smashing shots hitting the wall & breaking numerous balls, but all that can be fixed with adjusted strokes. 

In summary, I think I need to train a bit more on perfecting my strokes & especially serves with a slower setup before I can tame with this beast.  It�ll be special when the day comes.  For now, I will visit this mistress during my non-training days.  I�m pretty satisfied with this piece, and would like to take this opportunity to thank Ian for taking the time to make it. 

If somebody out there still have Ian�s Trial Cypress Cpen, I would love to try it.  Good hitting Y�all      

pics:
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
Sponsored Links

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2010 at 11:53pm
That sounds like quite a blade, and kudos to the builder for getting all that into 80g. Please comment on the difference between the two sides.
BBC, SP, LP
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2010 at 10:15am
The weight was a requirement for an easy RPB experience.  Thickness is not as thin as my T5.4 ~4mm 9ply also.  Ian suggested a thicker inner ply to increase feeling, that worked out GREAT!!!  He certainly knows his stuff.  
I use FH side with Limba-carbon which produces massive speed on close to mid distance shots.  Also, the carbon produces a loud 'Bak' sound whereas my clubmates tho I had an OX rubber.  Control on the FH is exceptionally accurate to one's stroke, perhaps the rubber has something to do with that.  JO Gold has a soft-medium feel sponge.

BH has good enough speed,  certainly not like FH shots.  I was surprised when I was able to loop with ease using a hard sponge rubber H3 Pro D41.  It has a great feedback, as if you are Tom Brady throwing a football to his WRs...  

I will venture the blade further by interchanging the rubbers, more review to be posted soon...

For all you TT players out there whose ready for your own blade, I would highly recommend Ian W�rzThumbs%20Up 
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic